Ultimate Non-Firearm Backup Weapon

Discussion in 'Training & Safety' started by CaptainCappin, Jul 25, 2007.

1. CaptainCappin

CaptainCappin New Member

What do you guys think is the ultimate non-firearm backup weapon?

2. ranger_sxt

ranger_sxt New Member

Your boots. Get the heck out of there.

3. bkt

bkt New Member

That's a difficult question to answer. A firearm has its place, but so does your brain, so does a vehicle, so does a knife, and so do your boots (when the situation calls for it, high-tail it and run away!).

I keep rifles, shotguns and blades around. But I also know the area very well -- back roads, landmarks, trails, etc. I keep maps and a GPS with extra batteries in a bug-out bag in case my home is no longer safe.

Use your head. Know who you're with and what their limits are. Adapt as necessary.

4. BLS33

BLS33 New Member Supporter

Depends on the situation, if you are in a gun fight a knife doesn't do much good now does it?

5. yoda185

yoda185 New Member

a frag grenade works wonders in a crowded situation.

6. RONSERESURPLUS

RONSERESURPLUS New Member

Ultimate back up to a firearm?

Hello all

RON L here = SERESURPLUS

I've always prefered a smaller hide out gun like a small .38 Revolver or small auto, but if It can't be a fire arm, I'd say a good Boot knife or combat type folder, I've carried a Spyderco "Police" Model or a A.G. Russel STING 1A Boot knife, has backed me up well upon a jam or a had to have a weapon fast deals?

7. KevinG

KevinG New Member

First defense or backup defense coupled with what you are up against are important factors.

Many people see the firearm as the first and last line of defense and never train for defense without it.

My thoughts are, have tactics for self-defense were the firearm is the last resort (depending on the situation it may very well be the first line of defense).

Some of the best things anyone can do for self-defense training are to
    • Learn avoidance
    • Become skilled in empty hand defense (they have no weapons or they have edge or impact weapons)
    • Depending on the chances of various types of crimes in your area then choose secondary weapons according to this fact might help. It might be a secondary pistol, kubaton or knife

Personally past using my brain and empty hand skills my primary defense is either a Kubaton or new edition Gunting (Lapu Lapu Corto) by Bram Frank then comes the pistol.

8. Bear_Down

Bear_Down New Member

The wife on a bad day. Hows that for a defence weapon. SHE DON"T NEED NO STINKING BOOTS>

9. Ed21

Ed21 New Member

I always have backup then. ;)

10. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

backup

A backup to the wife? That's a bad idea.

11. 1984cj

1984cj New Member

A cane. A good stout stick and, just like a gun, the knowledge to use it. You can also carry a cane many places that you can not carry a firearm.

12. Spartan

Spartan New Member

backup

depends on the range gap, a knife is no good at gun range, but from 6 to ten feet away, the gun is no good any longer, retreating is always good unless the other guy is armed, if he is, then i would close to knife range. if you are going to be shot, you might as well be shot while advancing, i dont plan on being shot in the back, if i go out i take the bastard with me. and the simple fact that the gun hasnt scared the other guy off catches him off guard and makes his hesitate, people are not as accurate as they believe themselves to be at any range when confronted or being fired on.

13. Spartan

Spartan New Member

i want to change my answer

i want to change my answer to either a really big Conan the Barbarian axe or a crossbow!! or an onager with a flaming Pig in it

14. ranger_sxt

ranger_sxt New Member

Please elaborate on why a firearm is no good at contact distances...

15. Taxpayer

Taxpayer New Member

Huh? I don't get it?

16. Spartan

Spartan New Member

knife range

if you pull your gun when the guy is right on you, and he happens to wrestle it away you are pretty much screwed, i would rather retain control of my weapon in my holster when i have someone on me trying to take control of then drawing it and having it possibly be used against me. i resort to my TDI kabar, effect a stab would to the thigh neck or groin, then step back and draw the weapon. if i can draw the weapon as he is advancing and know i get level it high enough to get off a shot i will, but if he closes range quickly its a threat to me and the knife gives me the added edge of space once its used because the few seconds it takes for him to recover from the stab allows me the opportunity to safely draw my weapon. not sure how many of you have faced a situation when an attacker actually was too close or closed range and you werent allowed the time to actually draw your weapon but i have and its probably the scariest thing in the world. i have seen other officers who while effecting a traffic stop had the suspect actually climb out of the vehicle and put a gun to their throat, what do you do then?

17. ranger_sxt

ranger_sxt New Member

Oh My God!

All of that nonsense you posted earlier today, and you're a cop?!? You should really go back to the academy for a good refresher in firearms usage and legal aspects of deadly force.

On to the counter-argument to your nonsense here:
    You are advocating bringing a knife to a gunfight. If the guy is coming at you with something that will cause serious bodily harm or death, you NEED to get something that will end the fight quickly. A knife won't do that all the time. That is why people train and practice moving and shooting, oftentimes from retention.

18. Spartan

Spartan New Member

ok

you are right right about everything maybe if you hear it from someone you will shut up lol. apparently the training ive received in moyock and at the sig academy was all for nothing, and the 15 years of self defense training and knife and weapons training was pointless. next time ill do as you seem to think would be the right thing and just hand the guy my gun. it actually would probably work to my benefit because the distraction of handing him my weapon would allow me to break his stupid little neck while he was distracted. let it go man, i know you are pretty, get me a cup of coffee or just shut up lol. lets just agree to disagree, you use what you think is effective and i use what i know is effective. whatever right. jesus

19. Spartan

Spartan New Member

hmmm

actually i am just a little curious as to what you actually shoot at and what distances you are shooting at with your pistol. it might help to make a little more sense of why you are so confrontational and overemotional and angry over such an insignificant topic such as this? you tell me yours and ill tell you mine, ive never met a shooter that was 100% honest about his range distances and accuracy, there is always a slight amount of exaggeration. shooting accurately is not easy...well then again most people shoot at a static target that never moves, go figure, love those criminals that never move either, or the poor guy who spends years shooting from a static position and then forgets to move when the rounds are actually coming back at him. &#*#

20. Spartan

Spartan New Member

wanted to know

hey ranger, just wanted to know if it would be ok with you to print out this discussion, i thought that the guys on the STOP TEAM would get a real kick out of the banter between us, it was all in fun after all, wasnt it, no hard feelings? i mean we are all adults here, right? just wanted to see if you had any reservations over the other guys getting a good laugh. (by the way, they wouldnt just be laughing at you, i put a real effort into being a little silly as well) ;)