Uh oh......Truggie moving to Richmond???!!!

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by TruggieTex, Nov 24, 2013.

1. TruggieTex

TruggieTex New Member

I've been asked to leave the Great State of Texas for Virginia. Has not sunk in yet, though....
    Of course, I can find another job....or pick the right 6 numbers, but this looks like what I need to do.
    Anyone in that area.....what should I expect? I need elbow room, so what's a good rural area for a commute to Short Pump?

2. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

job relocation?

sorry to hear you are moving. :(

3. G30USMC

G30USMC Active Member Supporter

What's the reason for the move?

Best of luck !

4. TruggieTex

TruggieTex New Member

Yes, job. 8 years with the bank and finally being asked to make the move.

5. G30USMC

G30USMC Active Member Supporter

Sorry to hear that, maybe it will be a plus for you

6. rocshaman

rocshaman New Member

I can only assume it's a step up the ladder for you. Best of luck.

7. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

I would look around the Alberta area for a place to stay. It's less than an hour from Richmond. South Hill is about 15 minutes away. South Hill is no mecca but it has a Walmart and other shopping centers.

I stay in Alberta when I hunt in VA. Everything is close enough that I don't feel stranded but everything is spread out enough to shoot a centerfire rifle in the back yard.

8. boatme98

boatme98 New Member

Truggie Virginia?
    Just doesn't have the same ring to it.
    I never cared for the Richmond area, although you'll be close enough to some of the prettiest mountains in the East. G.W. Natl. Forest and Jefferson Natl. Forest. and a short hop to Pisgah in N.C.
    Good luck

9. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

You do know they just elected a POS democrat for their governor up there. That state will become very anti-gun in a hurry if he has anything to do with it.

Good luck Truggie,I know I would never leave Texas for any job.
    I've been in every state except Hawaii in my life as an over the road trucker,and this is the only place I'd ever call home.

10. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

South Hill? Alberta? Sorry, no. Short Pump is a suburb of Richmond VA, just West on I-64. Ancestor ran the tavern that gave it the name. South Hill is about 100 miles away.

From Short Pump, head West up I-64. Goochland County is 6 miles up the road, and you are getting into country. Rt 288 runs South off I-64, and swings over into Powhatan County. Real estate in Powhatan is not bad, 30 minute commute. Powhatan has one zip code for county (23139 if you want to shop realtor.com) 5 traffic lights, one WalMart, no 7-11s (other than State Route 711). Powhatan has a rifle deer season, Goochland does not.

Drop me a PM, can get you some info, can even suggest a Realtor if you need one. Fishing is also good around here. Shall issue state for CCW, no waiting period, registration or permits for ordinary firearms, several good LGSs in the area.

11. TruggieTex

TruggieTex New Member

Great advice and info!

Looks like I will need to do this by end of first quarter '14.
    Need to find a large map of greater Richmond area and start plotting....

12. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

Get ready to hear "your from Texas aren't you" a LOT. I lived in Manassas for about 6 months, and they would not shut up about the accent!

It's a beautiful state though. Maybe C3 could be your new shooting buddy. :D

13. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Leaving Texas for Richmond. That's funny. There must be some sort of mandate to have a certain number of Texans there. My son just came back from school in Richmond. Richmond has a lot of things to do, lots of pretty country nearby, but a lot of crime.

14. nchunt101

nchunt101 New Member

I agree. I live on the NC side of the boarder but have friends in the South Hll area. The Powhatan area is a much nicer and more convenient area to Richmond than the Alberta/South Hill area (SWMBO is from the area). I personally like Richmond a lot and may end up there soon if the little lady has her way.

15. TruggieTex

TruggieTex New Member

The kids are in the loop now and slow to warm to the notion.....
    May take a little while to get everyone rowing the same way, but we have thick moss covering our family footing and our dreams have been too long limited by a resting horizon.
    Wife and I have worked from home.....yes, the same home....for 8 years now...separate employing banks.....
    Time to knock off cobwebs and shake that moneymaker again.....Git 'er Done!

Anyone need a 4 wheeler???? Some chickens????? ;)

16. woody63m

woody63m New Member

I'm from chesterfield and my parents still live there If I had to move back I would look in the powhatan area I got a uncle who lives out there and I think you would proably like it more then in the city

17. ProShooter

ProShooter New Member

I would suggest Powhatan, Goochland, or the far west end of Short Pump. I live in the fwe in a new subdivision. Its beautiful.

I have the best real estate agent in Richmond if you need one - Will Hamnett from Prudential. http://www.willhamnett.com/

Let me know if I can assist you with any firearms training needs when you get here. www.ProactiveShooters.com