Uberti sixgun

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by HM2Grunt, Nov 9, 2013.

1. HM2Grunt

HM2Grunt New Member

My vision has been changing as I grow older, and I find that I am not able to use the iron sights on my long guns. Even with the last change of glasses, I am out of luck. I am wanting to "re-tool" and get another handgun. Seem to do better with them, so far. On my last trip to my local gun purveyor, I saw a Uberti-made Colt-style six-gun that looked pretty sweet. I did some looking at the company sight, and found that it was, "hand fitted and timed" with "Wison springs" set up for cowboy style action shooting. I own some of their black powder revolvers, and I liked the feel of the pistol I am looking at. It is stainless steel. I have a history of buying shiney things on impulse, so I am asking the forum if anybody knows anything about this six-gun before I go back to give it a second look. I think it has been out better than a year, but the sticker price is the same as Uberti's. This is unusual for this dealer. I had to renew my permit to purchase,(which I think is against my second amendment rights, but that's another thread) so I have been given three days to make up my mind. Any body have experience with this hand gun? It is called the "El Patrone".

Attached Files:

2. Jimski

Jimski Member

I have two Uberti revolvers. Both are 22 cal. The first is the Stallion Target model with 6 1/2" barrel and a Cattelmen with a 5.5" barrel. I love the way they look and shoot. These classic 1873 Colt single action army replicas are a couple of favorites in my collection.

Jim

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

I have heard good things about Ubertis. I believe that is a version of their "Cattleman" revolver. It's listed on their site for $759. I'm not meaning to change you mind on it, but I know of another gun you may like.

A Ruger Vaquero. Basically the same gun, and build like a tank! You can find them for $500-$600 depending on the finish and barrel length.

Here's the 357 version.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=375471254

And the 45 Colt version.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=375467795

Honestly, I don't think you could go wrong with either.

4. gr8oldguy

gr8oldguy New Member

I have a one in 38spl. I hand load light loads with Trail Boss. Very accurate, very pleasant to shoot. My gun has traditional cowboy fixed sights. They tend to be hard to see. A little bright red nail polish fixed that problem. good luck and I hope you have fun with your new gun.

5. dwmiller

dwmiller Well-Known Member

I've got one in 44mag that I absolutely love. Color case hardened case and frame. Fitted a set of stag grips I got at a gun show. Too big stock, ground them down to fit this gun. Shoots like a dream with 44 special loads, really feels "cowboy"! ;)

6. HM2Grunt

HM2Grunt New Member

7. HM2Grunt

HM2Grunt New Member

I like the looks of this Uberti, a more traditional design that probably comes with it's traditional problems. The ads say that this model gun goes through Uberti's "factory custom shop". I don't know what that amounts to, but the pistol I looked at what really smooth and very well finished. Says they tune the gun and put in new Wolf's, (not Wilson"s) springs. Would like to have the longer barrel, but I don't know if the extra length makes any difference except in other life's sports.

8. dwmiller

Custom shop usually means extra time polishing internals, better springs and tighter tolerances due to hand select parts. Mine is a custom shop gun and fit and finish are flawless! Action is very smooth and trigger is a nice crisp 4.25 lbs by my scale. Could have better sights but its not the target model.

Extra barrel length = more velocity = longer sight radius ( better accuracy)

Also equal heavier gun and slower to draw. ;)

You pay your money and make your choices!

Last edited: Nov 9, 2013
  9. HM2Grunt

HM2Grunt New Member

10. tomingreeneco

tomingreeneco New Member

I have one and love it. As another poster mentioned try a little nail polish on the front site to help you see in better. With stainless you might want a darker red or some other dark color to contrast with the bright stainless. You can pick up a few colors at the dollar store and try them to see what works best for you.

11. PRM

PRM New Member

Everything is a trade off. I have my glasses custom made and I have sat in the office looking down the sights of my gun until the prescription was adjusted so I could focus the sights. It works. The trade off is a little clarity in reading. I am just about at the point that I will be going to a pair or glasses for my long guns and a second pair for reading.

As far as the Uberti(s), I have had good luck with them. I have had to tweak them a little out of the box. Not familiar with the one your looking at. Sounds like a lot of the tweaking is already done. I would put the Wolff wire type trigger bolt spring in any SAA/or Clone, pretty much permanently solves the breakage issue with that part.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2013
  12. CrunchyFrog

CrunchyFrog Member

Uberti makes the Smokewagon for importer Taylor's & Co. and the Evil Roy edition for importer Cimarron Firearms as "race ready" revolvers for cowboy action. The El Patron is the same idea and is a pretty nice gun. What I particularly like about these guns is the wide sights that are more visible than the ones on the early Colts.

Buy two and come shoot cowboy action!

13. HM2Grunt

HM2Grunt New Member

I looked up .45 Long Colt ammo today and was surprised to see how much it is, almost 90cents a round. This will be the first time I have used .45LC, so I did not know what it cost to feed one. Don't buy factory ammo much Looks like I will have to tool up right off, and reload. Components seem high too.

14. texaswoodworker

Get into casting you own lead bullets, and try to make the brass last longer. That will bring down the costs quite a bit. ;)

If you don't want to get into casting right now, may I suggest these?

http://www.missouribullet.com/results.php?category=5&secondary=14

15. HM2Grunt

HM2Grunt New Member

Texas woodworker- Thanks for the scoop. Those prices are better. I do cast my bullets for black powder shooting. It would be a matter of securing another mold, and then some way to lube-size. I don't have that capability yet. So after getting some Star-bar brass, and the dies, I should be good to go until I am ready to cast. I have a pot, a ladle, and a bunch of lead and antimony.:)

16. texaswoodworker

No problem. I'm going to order some of their bullets for my .357 Mag and 45 ACP pretty soon too. :D

17. dwmiller

Take a look at lee, their bullet molds are hard to beat. They also have a cheap sizing/gas check seater. Works in your press and sizes from the flat base. No nose dies for different molds. I use this for my cast bullets in reduced 44mag cases.

http://leeprecision.com/6-cavity-452-255-rf.html

Should be about the right bullet, 6 cavity for $53, remember to get a set of handles!

http://leeprecision.com/new-lube-size-kit-.452.html
    and the sizing kit for $25

18. HM2Grunt

HM2Grunt New Member

Well guys, I didn't end up with the six gun. The night I went down to get it, was the night they had something else in the racks that I always wanted. It just so happened I had the money on me. Like a boy and a new toy, I had to have it. So now I have a British FAL Parts gun put together by DS Arms, on their receiver. I wasn't going to buy another long gun because I can't see the sights anymore, but this has a peep sight, that I can still use. I initially had some function problems after being told by the shop I could shoot .308 WIN in it. Turns out that, maybe you can, but in this gun, you can't. After securing some bonafide NATO-spec 7,62mm ammo, the FAL works perfectly,(and the NATO stuff was cheaper) Thanks for the response and advice. Will keep it in mind when I have enough money to go back for a six gun

Attached Files: