Uberti revolvers

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by okieboy, Jul 31, 2013.

1. okieboy

okieboy New Member

Anybody vouch for the 1873 cattleman? My birthdays coming up in September and I want a good quality SA revolver. I've narrowed it down to the Ruger Vaquero or 1873 cattleman. I simply don't know enough about the Uberti. Ive read both good and bad reviews so I want to hear any first hand accounts of each. Also want in 357 btw. Cheaper than 45 colt

2. hiwall

hiwall Active Member

Very hard to find ANY negatives about the Rugers. Mine have worked flawless and been accurate.

3. okieboy

okieboy New Member

Ill also ask where to find good leather holsters and cartridge belts for them?

4. TekGreg

TekGreg Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Hard to beat Ruger, but Uberti has been owned by Beretta and now Benelli, both high-quality companies. Re-enactors I know us Uberti and swear by them, but I don't have the hands-on experience with those that I do Ruger.

5. okieboy

okieboy New Member

The only reason I consider Uberti is the price point. Almost $100 cheaper than the closest Vaquero. And I figure if its quality then why not save some money and use it on ammo?

6. colmustard

colmustard New Member

I have the cattleman and like it a lot! It is in .45lc . The only issue I had was when I bought it I noticed there was a screw missing for the trigger guard, so I called them up and they sent one, very nice customer service!

7. JonM

JonM Moderator

Go ruger new vaquero. Got a pair in 45colt for cas. They are good to go competition ready out of the box. The ubertis tend to need some love to get em running at the same level the rugers start.

My choices were ruger colt uberti. After using em and watching others have issues im glad i went ruger. Only folks ive seen have problems are ones with colt saa or uberti saa.

Leverguns the uberti 1873 cant be beat.

The cattleman is a really nice gun. The ruger is better

8. sputnik1988

sputnik1988 Active Member

I've got one of the old Vaqueros in .45 Colt, that thing is a tank.

I'd like to get my hands on one of the new models in .357, much lighter.

9. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Owned a dozen or more Ubertis--- Used in CAS with no problems--
    Rugers are top shelf but nothing like the feel of a 4 click Colt single action :)

10. okieboy

okieboy New Member

Can't afford a colt anytime soon. Unless you'd care to make a donation??? Lol jk

11. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Was just sayin Uberti has a Colt style action unlike the "bow to safety" minded at Ruger :D

12. okieboy

okieboy New Member

Oooooohhh ok....but still ;) feel free to donate

13. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

I'll get back to ya on that :p

14. phideaux

phideaux Active Member Supporter

Top picture is Uberti Yellow Boy .45 LC
    Second pic is Uberti 1873 Cattleman .357 magnum
    Bottom pic is Uberti 1873 Cattleman .45 LC

Love mine, feel of those Revolvers is so authentic Colt, never have had any problems, deer hunted with the .357.All are VERY accurate and fun to shoot.
    The .357 has been my grandsons(11 yr old) favorite shooter since he was 8 yr old.

I have another cattleman on order since Jan, a 12 shot .22 cal

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Jim

Last edited: Aug 1, 2013
  15. gunsmoke11

gunsmoke11 New Member

The Ubertis feel just like the Colts do and those 4 clicks cinches it for me and anyone else who loves the original Colts. I've been told by a number of dealers that the Cimarron, which is actually made by Uberti, is finicky about their guns and demands from Uberti the best ones that can be picked. I've shot my Cimarron for about 10 years and it works flawlessly and has a great action that has never been touched. Besides, if Colt allowed Uberti to make the frames for their 2nd generation percussions that certainly means something.

Cimarron Flat Top Target Bisley 44-40
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 1, 2013
  16. gr8oldguy

gr8oldguy New Member

I have both, a Ruger Black Hawk in 357, and a Uberti in 38 spl. Both are very accurate. The trigger on the Uberti is the best of any of my handguns. I've never measured it, but it has to be less than 3lbs and very crisp. That being said, I reload all my center fire calibers and have for many years. For what ever reason, the Uberti will not fire my reloads. It is flawless with factory loads. The Uberti is a beautiful well balanced gun. The Ruger is a beautiful well balanced gun...that has no problem with my hand loads. I don't think you can go wrong with either one. If you're looking for "authenticity" of a SAA 1873, I think the Uberti might be a closer match. good luck