Uberti 44mag or 44-40?

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by EagleDreamer, Oct 9, 2012.

1. EagleDreamer

EagleDreamer New Member

My father-in-law recently bought a used Uberti revolver. I have only had a chance to glance so far. On the barrel it is marked 44 Mag.

He took it out to shoot and bought a box of 44 Mag. He called me and said when he put the cartridge in the cylinder about 1/2 in was sticking out of the back of the cylinder. So I had him double check to make sure it says 44 Mag and it did.

The guy he got it from said he never fired the gun for whatever reason. Upon further discussion he told me the guy had given him a box of 44-40 shells with the gun. I am not familiar with this cartridge. I am just assuming here, is the projectile of the 44-40 a .40 cal projectile?

I am not quite sure the model of the revolver but in my OUTDATED gun guide it could be an Uberti Cattleman? In my guide there were no 44 mags listed but there was a 44-40. I searched the Internet and found in 2010 they started producing the Cattleman in 44 Mag. The gun is blued with a case hardened frame and wood grips.

Any ideas of what this could be? I also know there will be requests for photos so I will try to get those ASAP.

2. JonM

JonM Moderator

Its possible its a conversion with the wrong cylinder. For something like this contact uberti with the serial number in question.

3. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

The OLD system of naming cartridges was the external diameter of the case (and of the bullet- bullets were heel seated, and were same size as the case) for the first number. The second number was the powder charge in grains of black powder. So you had a (nominally) 44 caliber bullet over 40 grains of powder.

This is a link to some info on the 44-40 cartridge. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.44-40_Winchester

If Uberti does not respond, or if this gun may have been altered since leaving the factory, please have a smith check the gun over- he MAY need to make a Cerro-safe casting of a chamber to be sure.

DO check to see if the gun has been fired- 44 Special can be fired from a 44 mag cylinder- but it builds up some carbon right in front of the shorter case mouth that, if not cleaned, COULD interfere with loading 44 mags.

4. EagleDreamer

EagleDreamer New Member

I did tell him for sure not to try to fire it until we get this figured out.

Thanks for the info on the .44-40 also.

I do plan on contacting Uberti to get their input.

5. crossfire

crossfire New Member

It might be a dual cylinder gun where the Magnum cylinder is missing. The .44 Mag isn't the most comfortable round to shoot in a handgun and light recoil factory ammo for it didn't exist until fairly recently. Yes, you can shoot .44 Special in a Magnum, but until the cowboy shooters started using that round, .44 Special ammo wasn't that easy to find either. The .44-40 operates at the same pressures as the .45 Colt. The .44-40 bullet used to be .002" smaller in diameter but nearly all use the same bullet as the Magnum now.
    When Dirty Harry made the S&W M29 famous, a lot of them wound up back at the dealers because the owners did not care for the recoil.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2012
  6. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Sounds like a convertable with a cylinder missing-
    I had a Uberti with both 44 SPECIAL cylinder & a 44-40 cylinder-
    Never heard of 44mag / 44-40 convertible- Been quite a while since i fooled with Cowboy guns tho-

7. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

if it was from a convertible you would certainly think that the cylinder would be stamped with the caliber.

8. JonM

JonM Moderator

markings can vanish from people refinishing or wear if it wasnt a very good stamping

9. EagleDreamer

EagleDreamer New Member

I went and looked at the gun again last night and the markings are clear as day. It says " S.A. Cal. .44 Mag" on the barrel. Upon further inspection on the CYLINDER it has marked "44/40"

That being said I put a 44 mag in the cylinder just to see and it went in with about 1/4 inch sticking out the back of the cylinder. So I took it out and put in a 44/40 and it went in perfect all the way. I set the 2 cartridges side by side and they appear to be the exact same length, but the 44/40 has a slight taper to it about halfway on the case.

So I am assuming it is a convertible that's just missing the magnum cylinder. Im still going to get it looked at by a pro but do you guys think she is safe to shoot?

10. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

no reason it would not be safe. Let the wife shoot it first though:D

11. EagleDreamer

EagleDreamer New Member

Good idea!

12. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Do you have a ex-wife? ;)

13. Bob Wright

Bob Wright Member

If you question whether the gun is safe to shoot or not, have it checked. A .44-40 cylinder with a .44 Magnum barrel will be fine,BUT it doesn't hurt to check cylinder lock-up and alignment. If you don't feel competent to do this, by all means have someone do it for you.

Bob Wright

14. EagleDreamer

EagleDreamer New Member

My only concern was the 44/40 cylinder on a 44 mag barrel. I had read contradicting reports on 44/40 as to the dimensions of the actual projectile. I am very unfamiliar with the round. But after this thread I feel more informed. That's why I came here!
    I still think it needs to be checked for alignment Just to be sure.
    Thanks for everyone's input and help. I don't post often but when I do I know I'm getting good info.

15. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

many people don't realize that revolvers have a built in fix for mis-alignment. if not aligned the firing pin will not contact the primer square enough to fire. if just slightly out of alignment the forcing cone guides the bullet into the barrel. may cause accuracy to suffer. but unlikely to cause the shooter to suffer.

16. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

These were sold as convertables back in the 1970s. The 44-40 [.428] did not prove to be that accurate in a Remington .44 Mag. barrel [429]. The 44-40 loaded with lead bullets gas cut and leaded the bore. The .44 WCF[44-40] has a weak black powder case reloading life is short. You can reload the 44-40 with a .429 bullets but make sure you change the die expander ball to the .429 or you will damage the very thin 44-40 neck when seating the larger bullet.:)

17. Bob Wright

Bob Wright Member

A revolver can fire out of alignment enough to shave lead/jacket material. This causes particle spitting and does pose a danger to anyone standing to the side.

My old Colt New Service would leave little crescents of lead to drop into my hand when ejecting empties, until I fixed that.

Bob Wright

18. ricepaddydaddy

ricepaddydaddy New Member

Are you familiar with the handling required of a Colt SAA or Colt clone such as Uberti? NEVER carry this gun with a round under the hammer. Only load 5.
    The proper proceedure is - bring hammer to loading notch, aka "half cock".
    Open loading gate, load one, skip one, load 4. Close loading gate without further movement of cylinder. Bring hammer back to full cock, this will rotate the empty chamber to the proper position, gently lower hammer using thumb. Even though I've been shooting these type guns for years I still visually look at the case heads in the back of the cylinder to make sure the empty chamber is indeed at the top.
    To avoid possible damage to the lock work, whenever you draw the hammer back to half cock, complete the cycle to full cock before lowering hammer.
    You may already know all this.
    I love single actions, got 'em from 22LR to 44 magnum; Rugers, Ubertis, Piettas, even Heritage Arms.:D

19. Bob Wright

Bob Wright Member

ricepaddydaddy, where were you in the rice paddies?

Bob Wright

20. EagleDreamer

EagleDreamer New Member

I was going to ask that. I thought that was the case with this one as well. Thanks for looking out, better safe than sorry!