Type I BAR mis-cycling and mis-firing

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing Forum' started by Steve H, Apr 1, 2020.

1. Steve H

Steve H New Member

Hello,
    A couple of years ago I finally purchased one of my dream guns at a gun show. It's a Belgium made 30.06 BAR which I believe it was made in 1971 (89166 M71). It was used and looked to be in good condition (not VG or Excellent condition). The first time I took it out with a round in the chamber and 4 in the magazine the first round casing did not completely eject and I had to pull back on the operating handle to eject the casing. After that, all 4 rounds cycled through no problem. It did this every time I had a full magazine and a round in the chamber.

When I went to thoroughly clean out the rifle I discovered it was extremely filthy and I discovered thoroughly cleaning this rifle is no easy task especially when it comes to reinstalling the operating handle on to the bolt mechanism.

After the thorough cleaning my son took the BAR to Wyoming for a hunt and put @ 200 rounds through it (who knows why) and came home with two nice racks. He never cleaned it after the trip and when he took it deer hunting in NYS the rifle misfired on him twice.

I now have the rifle broken down and thoroughly cleaned it again and I'm wondering if there are parts I should replace in this old rifle to get it operating properly. What parts would be helpful to replace on this rifle considering it all looks original to me and what online shops would anyone recommend for purchasing parts like the firing pin and spring, action spring guide and spring, gas piston for a type II (type I no longer available) Gas regulator 30.06 (if they are still available) Any help with this would be most appreciated. I love firing this weapon and I would like to make it more reliable to the best of my ability.
    Thanks
    Steve H

towboater likes this.
  2. SRK97

SRK97 Well-Known Member Supporter

I have a newer one that I'm a big fan of but I've never actually taken it apart, I'm going to have to look into it. Great rifles 20191127_071916.jpeg

3. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Well-Known Member

Numrich Gun Parts would be a good place to find parts,and also Browning. Just know that Browning may not sell you the parts directly,most companies only sell fire control parts to licensed gunsmith's for liability reasons.
    I'd also advise you to take it to a reputable gunsmith for inspection. He/She may be able to tell you what parts are worn enough to need replacing,and also know if everything is in correct working order.

4. Steve H

Steve H New Member

Now that's a nice looking hunting rifle!!

schnuffleupagus likes this.
  5. Steve H

Steve H New Member

Good advice about the gunsmith and since I am a tinkerer, I would rather inquire experienced people who are familiar with this type if BAR and see what parts they have found that wear or fail on older models like mine.

I also discovered that getting some replacement parts made exclusively for this rifle is difficult because some of the parts I would believe may need to be replaced are not manufactured anymore which poses another problem. :(

towboater likes this.
  6. Maineiak

Maineiak Active Member

I have the same rifle as you. It probably needs cleaning and a little lube. If the bolt does not close completely nothing happens when you pull the trigger.

edit: when I take it hunting and chamber the first round, I always push forward the bolt to make sure I will get a boom instead of a click

7. Maineiak

Maineiak Active Member

8. Maineiak

Maineiak Active Member

My BAR has never been taken apart for cleaning, or anything for that matter. I just squirt a little oil in the right places. The rotating bolt likes oil from time to time. I inherited my rifle from my Grandpa:) I know he never cleaned it, and I have had it since 1986.

Oldoutlaw and SRK97 like this.
  9. Steve H

Steve H New Member

Wow
    The first time I disassembled mine last year i found it was missing a nylon buffer between the buffer plates, the gas piston and housing was really gunked up and the action spring guide is rough so I'm considering at least replacing that component whenever it's back in stock.

After my son put 200 rounds through the rifle the gas piston again was really gunked up so that was thoroughly cleaned out. This pandemic has been a boom to online gun shops who sadly are under staffed and drowning in orders they are having difficulty filling. This is why I wanted to see if others have experienced similar situations with their older BAR models.

And thanks for the response

towboater, SRK97 and Maineiak like this.
  10. Maineiak

Maineiak Active Member

Well...to be honest, my rifle has probably had less then 300 rounds through it in its life time. The last 5 years I only shot it 10 times at the most.

Oldoutlaw and towboater like this.
  11. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Steve,
    My question is did your son have any difficulty with malfunctions firing the 200 rounds.

towboater likes this.
  12. schnuffleupagus

schnuffleupagus Well-Known Member

I had mine, 7mm Magnum, go through the cloth top of my Jeep in a roll over and land barrel down in the mud.

I lost the rear byckhorn but, other than that, it has been flawless.

If my son shot 200 rounds through my rifle and did not clean it....
    Next trip, he would use his own rifle.

Sniper03 and towboater like this.
  13. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Steve

For BAR Parts you might check with Midwest Gun Works. They also have a website. But if you need something not shown there you might give them a call. If the gun is missing a Buffer Part that could contribute to an issue?
    However did your Son have any malfunctions while he fired the 200 Rounds. And just remember a clean and well lubricated (Damp) gun is a Happy Gun!

towboater and Maineiak like this.
  14. Wambli

Wambli Well-Known Member

I would strip and clean thoroughly and call the folks at Wolff for replacement springs and call it good. That should get you back running.

15. Steve H

Steve H New Member

He only told me about the 200 rounds after it mis-fired on him last season. He said it performed flawlessly on his western hunting trip which is why he wanted to use it here in NYS for whitetail deer.

The only thing I did not disassemble was the firing pin bolt to check the condition of the firing pin ans spring which I can do tonight or tomorrow

16. Steve H

Steve H New Member

100% in agreement with you :(

17. Steve H

Steve H New Member

I did check with them and they have some of the parts I'm looking for but not all and I think this might be the worse time to get any kind of gun parts considering alot of places are shut down.

towboater and Sniper03 like this.
  18. Steve H

Steve H New Member

Which springs would you think would be worth replacing?

19. Wambli

Wambli Well-Known Member

On a 1971 gun? All of them. Springs are cheap so if you don’t have any truly broken parts I can almost guarantee you the issue is tired old springs.

20. Maineiak

Maineiak Active Member

If I read correctly, he has missing part.

Sniper03 and Oldoutlaw like this.