Type 99 Arisaka

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by NABelite, Jul 16, 2009.

1. NABelite

NABelite New Member

Hey all, got this rifle from my great uncle. It was taken off a Japanese prisoner during WWII. Rising Sun insignia is still on it and has 16 inch bayonet with it.

Attached Files:

2. JoshX3Magazine

JoshX3Magazine New Member

Wow! There's a nice piece of history right there! Even looks to be in very good condition. Hang on to that.

Josh

3. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

Where was it made? That is an extrodanry looking rifle. For seeing combat in teh pacific. These rifles are very sought after with the mum (Not Rising sun) intact. This means that a solider took this off the body of a dead jap solider. It has a bayonet as well. If it matches the rifle you got rifle worth a bit of change.

To figure out there it was made here is a web site that will clue you in.

http://www.radix.net/~bbrown/japanese_markings.html

In case you hadn't seen it.

4. orangello

orangello New Member

NICE! I have heard (as Tango mentioned) that intact chrisanthemum marks are very rare & probably valuable. Congratulations.

5. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

Outstanding! The bayonet frog looks to be in excellent condition, as well. Not a lot of Japanese web gear has survived the test of time, so tends to be quite valuable.

Can you post a close up pic of the frog? Thanks.

6. dynastyofnext

dynastyofnext New Member

nice rifle, are there any other japanese markings on it?

7. armscollectinghobby

armscollectinghobby New Member

very nice

what arsenal markings are on the side. Does it still have the aircraft sights?

8. NABelite

NABelite New Member

Thanks for the comments guys, and yes the serial number is on the left side of the bolt. It reads 68496 with a few additional markings. The wood is in excellent condition with only a few scratches. I will take pictures of the serial number tonight.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2009
  9. NABelite

NABelite New Member

Here are the pictures you wanted

Attached Files:

• 002.jpg
      002.jpg
      File size:
      82.4 KB
      Views:
    • 006.jpg
      006.jpg
      File size:
      81.7 KB
      Views:
    • 007.jpg
      007.jpg
      File size:
      83 KB
      Views:
    • 009.jpg
      009.jpg
      File size:
      86.6 KB
      Views:
  10. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

You have an outstanding piece of history. Thanks for posting the pics. Don't try to take the frog off the bayonet as the retention strap may give up the ghost.

11. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

Toyo Kogyo was where it was made and they operated from 39 to 45. WOW just WOW. Lock that sucker away and keep it safe.

12. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

Why not add someting to the thread and not 10 year old playstation experience.

13. Milsurpshooter60

Milsurpshooter60 New Member

Very nice old jap rifle my freind ,hard to find in that shape.is it an early or later model, some of the last ditch ones are kinda touch and go on being safe to fire. looks like an early model to me, if the rear of the safety knob on rear of bolt is checkered its an early model if it is smooth could be last ditch rifle, they cut a lot of corners in the latter yrs of the war.And some are just not safe .she is a looker wish i could see rear of safety knob i would be able to tell ya more.dead giveaway if it is a smooth saftey knob of the last ditchers ,i think ya good on that 1.Damn 2007 i guess i need to read the dates on these threads oops.lol

Last edited: Apr 18, 2013
  14. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

I am not a fan of Japanese firearms of WWII. I have this Carbine 6.5 and the "Papa" Nambu picked up in the South Pacific. I have the history on these guns.:)

Attached Files:

15. elfmdl

elfmdl New Member

I would say it is one of the older ones because when they started to make the smooth safety knob, they also stopped putting the aircraft sites on them

16. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

Your gonna will those to me right nitestalker???

I dont have a T44 or a nambu yet..... :D