Two piece sleeping bag system

Discussion in 'Survival & Sustenance Living Forum' started by Scratchammo, Nov 10, 2012.

1. Scratchammo

Scratchammo New Member

My BOB is being rigged for long term wilderness survival. I'm looking for opinions for an inside & outside sleeping bag setup for all seasons in most temperate to northern climates. What say you?

2. e43jimmy409

e43jimmy409 New Member

Coleman sells thin fleece sleeping bags. Meant to either use alone or add to a sleeping bag for an extra layer

3. Scratchammo

Scratchammo New Member

Thanks for the info.

4. TLuker

TLuker New Member

I keep a single layer 30 degree bag ready to go. I figure if it gets colder than that then I'm going with some sort of shelter. For me an extra layer would just be extra weight. But the coldest it gets here is single digits and that's very rare.

Keep in mind that you can use a pile of dry leaves for extra insulation in a pinch (in and completely around your bag), but be careful with the camp fire.:)

5. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

My son and I have those Coleman fleece bags too. They are good enough for a summer night by themselves. We put them inside our zero degree bags for extra warmth. They make a zero degree bag actually work at zero degrees.

6. vincent

vincent New Member

7. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

There is a guy that I know who deals in milsurp stuff all the time and he sells them for $50 each for a complete system. He sells them at flea markets and such. They are easily in as good of condition as the one on Ebay.

8. Scratchammo

Scratchammo New Member

Great info so far! I like the mil surp bag.

9. CJohn364

CJohn364 New Member

10. therhino

therhino New Member

Wow, that's the cheapest I've seen a whoel system listed for, anywhere!
    It's the same system I used in the Marines, and it is indeed great. Only problem I can think of would be that it's a little bulky, and would benefit greatly from the separate sleep system pouch we had on our MOLLE packs.

11. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

I never used one like you did, but the ones I have seen you can take the Gore Tex cover and use it for other things. is that what you mean?

These systems can be found on Great Outdoors and other places periodically for cheap. I can see if I could get a pallet of them for a deal if there are enough people interested. Only problem is that they are bulky so they are expensive to ship.

12. Scratchammo

Scratchammo New Member

Thanks for the good info, y'all. I think I'm sold on the military issue.

13. therhino

therhino New Member

Nah, our MOLLE packs had a separate clip-on bag that went on the bottom of the pack frame, specifically for your sleep system, like this:

[​IMG]

It's the big, fat thing at the bottom.

14. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

That would be above your ass??:rolleyes:

OK, I see what you mean.

15. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

im kickin myself so bad for not grabbing the milsurp setup i saw at my gunshow this summer.. 99 bucks.. shoulda just told the wife to shush. and bought it.. they are amazing and thats the cheapest ive seen up here in awhile.

16. mrm14

mrm14 Active Member

I speak from near the four years experience backing the PCT I've had with this one. This bag is awsome!!

http://www.rei.com/product/731794/marmot-pinnacle-sleeping-bag

With a silk liner you can get another 10 degrees lower fahrenheit rating, it's light, has good loft, and with a compression sack it compacts real small.

17. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

Yeah, except for the price!:eek:

18. mrm14

mrm14 Active Member

Awwww... It's only filthy, rotten, dirty money.:D

Also, you only live once.