Two Piece Barrels ???

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by SHAMUSPI, May 4, 2010.

1. SHAMUSPI

SHAMUSPI New Member

Okay, I'm sure my friend is pulling my leg but he is so convincing I had to come to you gunnies and ask. He swears that the barrel in the Springfield 1911 is actually made from TWO pieces! Is he nuts or is my mind closed?:eek:

2. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

3. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

I guess you would need to define "two piece barrel".

Technically, I could see a 1911 barrel with a muzzle break or compensator that threads onto the front of the weapon, is timed and staked, as being a "two piece" barrel.

Now, he may have been talking about a two piece guide rod. Those are quite common. I believe that Cane and Bear both have one on their .460 Rowland kits.

JD

4. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

A two piece barrel can be identified by a "gold" looking stripe. what happens is that they make the two pieces separately and braze them together. I have one in a SA I purchased years ago. Some people cuss them, others like them. Mine has worked for over 20 years.

5. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

And on my Ed Brown 1911.

6. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Yea, I'm sure the SA Mil-Spec has a two-piece barrel.

Bet you got a 2 piece barrel on your BHP Lon.

Two-piece barrels for the Hi Power came from FN after the early '60's. They've all been two-piece, at least since the time in which the locking lug dimensions were changed.

[​IMG]

Brazing a barrel together in this fashion has several benefits. One of the major ones is they can use different alloys for the barrel and chamber.

7. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

I took the post to mean two moving pieces. My bad.

8. canebrake

canebrake New Member

There is a well known engineering phenomena that occurs when brazing or soldering parts together. If the clearance between parts is 0.003 inch(i.e. solder thickness of 0.0015 inch), the parts properly cleaned/fluxed/joined with low-temperature soft solder, there is a molecular bonding that occurs between the parts. In this case, the strength of the solder joint approaches the strength of the base material, i.e. the barrel material.

However, if the joint solder thickness is less or more than 0.0015 inch, the strength of the solder joint approaches the strength of the soft solder used. Therefore, a properly made 2 piece soldered barrel is just as strong as a solid barrel.

A failed two-piece 1911 barrel:

Attached Files:

9. SHAMUSPI

SHAMUSPI New Member

Well, it cost me a six-pack to my friend! But what is the purpose/value behind manufacturing a two piece barrel? Cost?:confused:

10. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Yes, less time on a single machine and you can "farm" out pieces. You will find the two piece on some less expensive firearms (but don't read "less expensive" as cheap).

11. SHAMUSPI

SHAMUSPI New Member

Would anyone know if my new S&W 1911's have a one or two piece barrel?