Two New Rifles (pics)

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by sweeper22, Aug 18, 2012.

1. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

I've been in the process of adding a couple extra ARs these last few weeks. It took a couple paychecks to get it funded, as I had the brilliant idea of taking on the two projects simultaneously. My complete Daniel Defense M4v3 came in on Monday. And all the parts for my BCM/MOE build arrived last night.

The DDM4v3 is relatively unchanged, other than swapping out the DD vertical foregrip for a Magpul AFG. I also bought a Magpul MS3 sling for it. Despite a hanguard with limitless tacticool real estate, I might actually leave it stock. It's a 6lb rifle! That's what I love about it, so I think I'll leave it be for now. I don't yet want to alter what I see as one of its greatest attributes.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The ingredients for the BCM build are as follows:

• BCM: 16" LW midlength barreled upper, BCG, Gunfighter charging handle (med)
    • Noveske: "chainsaw" stripped lower
    • Magpul: FDE MOE furniture, endplate sling mount, MBUS rear flip sight, MS2 FDE sling
    • PSA: LPK, buffer tube spring
    • Vortex: Strikefire red/green dot sight

*I might also add a Geissele SSA trigger as some point, but I'll run with what I've got for a while.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Sweeper, what can I say... they're beautiful! Welcome to the BCMDD Club!

Excellent choices and I think you're wise to keep 'em lightweight if possible. Both of mine are under 7lbs and I can feel it compared to my HBAR ArmaLite.

Thanks for the great pictures and looking forward to your range reports.

ETA:
    I see you got an Anchor Harvey Forge receiver for the BCM and Brass Aluminum Forging for the DD. I got the latter for both my DD and BCM. Of course no matter, they're top notch as are Cardinal Forge and Cerro Forge.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2012

3. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

I'm sure there are plenty of fine applications for all the doo-dads folks throw on their ARs...but simple and light in the only way to go for any rifle I want to be mobile with.

I'm pretty sure the BCM is a bit over 7lbs...maybe 7.5 or so as it sits. I don't have a scale that'll measure that out. I guess I could take it down to the supermarket produce section tomorrow to verify. Or the post office.

BTW- BCM sure adds a lot of swag for their customers. Two DVDs, a ballcap, like 5 or 6 posters, stickers, etc. Wow.

4. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Wow! That is a FINE set of twins to add to the safe. Most excellent!!

5. vincent

vincent New Member

The post office...too funny!!!

Congrats Sweeper, that's some top shelf hardware...I love the contrast of the furniture on the BCM, real sharp...:cool:

Last edited: Aug 18, 2012
  6. jnhfrahm

jnhfrahm New Member

Wow!! I am very impressed with your rifles. Very sweet!!

7. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Speaking of BCM videos, don't forget this one! :D (Thanks to JonM)
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcYoYLAOnNQ[/ame]

8. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Sweeper!

Nice Piece! :D

9. Rhino24

Rhino24 New Member

Wow must be nice. 2 of the best. You got it bad BRD!!! Maybe a long range scope on the DD.

10. Quentin

Quentin New Member

I saw what you did there! :D

11. okdonk

okdonk New Member

I been wanting to have a Noveske Gen2 lower. But it's so pricey even the chainsaw one. ;(.
    I really love it's logo.. oh well maybe next time.
    Those 2 are very sexy rifles u got there bro! I'm jealous ;). Specially with the markings on DD new production uppers.

12. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

Even this Gen1 chainsaw set me back about $180...which is about 50% more than your average stripped lower.

But I figure the pride of ownership is worth a few extra bucks, and I'd probably get an extra $100 for my rifle if I ever decided to sell, merely for having the Noveske lower, vs "brand X".

I like Noveske. Their headquarters are less than an hour down the road from me. But the vast majority of their stuff is well beyond my budget.

13. Quentin

Quentin New Member

I agree about paying a little more for the rollmark you really want. Every time you pick up the rifle or hand it to someone else it goes without saying that this AR is better than most.

14. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

Just got back from the range. Sorry, no pics here.

After going round'n'round sighting in the Vortex, things went pretty well. I could have saved myself a lot of headache starting the sight-in process on the 25yd range.

I went through a few boxes of PMC 55gr and 62gr, and one box of Hornady 75gr BTHP. All shooting was done at 50yds. Most of the groups from the BCM were 1.5-2", and a little over 2" from the open sighted DD. I'm sure they're capable of better, I just need to improve my own skills and habits in order to get that from them. No failures, no hiccups of any sort. The pair handle pretty much the same, with basically identical triggers.

When the heavier RRA (also a 16" middy) with the 2-stage trigger arrives in a month or two, I'll probably get some magnification on that and really work on tightening up groups at 100-200yd ranges. That'll pretty much become my dedicated range AR...and maybe I'll call on it for some varminting as well.