Firearms Talk banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HOUSTON – Two friends accidentally shot one another late Sunday night.

Police say they were called out to Houston’s North Side off Plaza Verde and Greens Point, near where the Sam Houston Tollway and I-45 meet. There, officers found the two men who were apparently playing, handling or looking at guns when one of them accidentally pulled the trigger. The first victim who was shot then accidentally pulled the trigger to the other gun, hitting the other. Both were rushed to the hospital, the investigation is ongoing but the shooting appears to be accidental.

Be careful out there!

·
Premium Member
12,636 Posts
You shoot me, I don't know if it was an accident or not, I am subject to stop you from being a further threat. It is like trading licks when we were kids. ;)

Reactions: kfox75 and Maineiak

·
Registered
110 Posts
A negligent discharge and another negligent discharge, in retaliation... Yeah that sounds about right.

·
Premium Member
2,603 Posts
Most hunting accidental shootings involve family or friends because we mostly go hunting and target shooting with those we enjoy being with. Don't know about this incident, but that's what we taught as hunter safety instructors and what I saw first-hand in too many cases. Ain't no brakes on a bullet.

·
Registered
560 Posts
The newsies got it wrong. It won't an "accident"; it were a dual act of industrial strength stupidity.
Just a guess but id say not stupidity, but intentional on both parties part
Accidental when asked about it because the score isnt settled.
At least thats usually what the truth is when two people " accidentally " shoot each other here and both live .

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The newsies got it wrong. It won't an "accident"; it were a dual act of industrial strength stupidity.
This story reminded me of a BB gun fight I was in back in the day. I know it was stupid, but we did it anyways. This particular war had my Brother on the other side, I was about 8 years old at the time, and my brother is 5 years older. In the heat of battle I came around the corner of the barn trying a sneak attack, and my brother came around the other side! When we met I just pulled the trigger with out really thinking, and shot him in the belly at short range! The BB went in about an 1/8" and he said "what the hell did you do that for"? I said something like "I am soooo sorry!! I just panicked"
I'm sure he wanted to shoot me back at the time:)

·
Premium Member
12,636 Posts
Anyone want to bet whether alcohol was a factor in the double shooting?

Reactions: OldGnome and kfox75

·
Registered
461 Posts
Sadly, this is not uncommon even in the military. It got so bad there was a General Order against "trust games" such as played with guns (think Russian Roulette style games). An alarming number of service members were wounded or killed in these types of boredom games of "trust."

·
Premium Member
10,020 Posts
Sadly, this is not uncommon even in the military.
Our EOD unit at Fort Bragg was one building away from the post guardhouse. In 1960 a friend and myself were sitting on the steps drinking sodas when there was a gunshot in the guardhouse. We ran up the street and went in the door. Just inside was a deceased 82nd Airborne trooper.

Horner asked what happened and a trooper replied: "They were practicing fast draw and he lost". .

·
Premium Member
11,344 Posts
Most hunting accidental shootings involve family or friends because we mostly go hunting and target shooting with those we enjoy being with. Don't know about this incident, but that's what we taught as hunter safety instructors and what I saw first-hand in too many cases. Ain't no brakes on a bullet.
Fits for two of mine, one ND, one AD. Third was intentional.

First was he didn't check behind the scrap car he was sighting in on, and I got tagged with a CCI Minimag in the right calf. pulling a center section on a Ford 9 inch, for a rebuild for one of my Crown Vics.

Number 2 was a broken sear in a 1911, and an act of Large dog. Knocked him over, as he was chambering, and I got tagged in the left thigh, trying to get clear. .38 Super.

Both friends, first the brother of one of the guy I ran the demos with, the other, I was dating his daughter at the time. And no, it was not intentional, as it was not in my head.

Last one was a robbery in the middle of a fuel stop. I was providing cover for a couple trying for the back door, when they knocked something over, the guy turned, and fired off five into the shelf I was hiding behind. 9 mm, FMJ, upper right chest, after one of the rounds passed through the metal shelf.

Clerk dropped him as I came around the corner, and I didn't know I had been hit until someone else saw the blood soaking into my jacket. First person through the doors was an off duty EMT. for one of the ambuklance companies in the area. Told him to work on the other guy, as he was worse off, just give me a roll of platci tape, and walked the clerk through the [process of making two triangle patches out of cling wrap, and taping two sides down, until EMS arrived.

Got loaded onto one of the first PSP cruisers on scene, and rushed in, with my partner along to keep me awake. Remember being dropped on the gurney, after he had grabbed my ear, pulled and twisted to keep me from blacking out. Hurt worse than the bullet wound did. Stabilized there, then sent to a trauma center, at that point. Spent a little over a week in, before I could go home.

Got the call last week, don't have to go down and testify. Goblin took a plea deal.

Have to agree with Wolf on this, it ain't over, and it sure as hell wasn't an accident. One ND, naybe, two, not a chance.

I view this story in the same way as the man found floating in his swimming pool with a broadhead through his eye. His wife said that he was cleaning his bow and it went off accidentally.
If it was a crossbow, maybe. But even then, that would take some serious stupidity, skill, and a pile of bad luck.

Compound, long or recurve, no way in hell.

·
Premium Member
11,344 Posts
I think you'll find that it was actually a murder committed by the wife.
Dry sense of humor, check.

Kind of figured that with where the broadhead was protruding from.

A little off topic, Fox, do you ever have a normal boring day?
Yes. Usually a few hundred in a row, between a handful of WTF days.

Then again, define normal. My take on it, given how I grew up, and where I grew up, is going to be different than someone born in a small town, that lived there all their life, when I spent the first 16 years of my life in 15 states, and 5 countries, around military personnel, and bikers.

Those 3 GSWs were spread out over 23 years. 4 stabbings, 31 years, and an EDR bite, going back 31 years as well. Long stretches of nothing much, in between. Usually years, but I have also had straight why me type weeks.

Same as anyone else.

After all, who ever talks about 2 year stretches, without even a shaving cut, or brush scratch? It's the messed up and weird **** that we remember. And people tend to talk about what they remember, more often than not, unless prompted to think back to their day to day existence.

But, to prove I have normal days, got up at 10 today, made breakfast, did the there S thing, hopped on the VTX, and rode over to the new shop. Stayed there from Noon to 1900, when my wife got out of work, and rode out with her to pick up a customer bike, the one odd thing today, as it was a custom hardtail using shaft drive parts, with a Crosley 4 popper and 4 speed, and foot clutch, to replace the fork seals and springs, then went to dinner, after dropping that off, and headed home. Spent yesterday at home, short of taking the Goldwing out, to go to Lowe's, to pick up some wood screws and dowels, to do a few hinge repairs, on the rental. Wife's day off, so I stayed home. Day before, same as today, except I spent 8 hours elbow deep in a shovelhead, finishing up the engine, and setting up the Baker 6 speed the owner wanted for his 81 Lowrider, after installing new coils, points, and plugs on a 71 XS 650.

But who would be interested in any of that, aside from insomniacs, looking to be bored to sleep?

Saturday was a bit more interesting, as my wife let me know I had to go in early, and meet the person I was meeting up with at the LGS and the Notary. She sold the Honda Rebel I'd gotten up and going, then tuned, for cash and an 8 inch S&W .500, with a few boxes of ammo the owner threw into the trade. She has a range trip planned for Sunday, at a friend's farm.

Still pretty much a normal day.

Most exciting thing I've had happen this year was running across a couple hundred acres in Summit, with water, gas, sewer, and electric on the property, and no building, just a slab, on it. Price ain't bad, but we're putting in an offer next week, and if it's taken, Start with a pole building, we can set up with living quarters, the deciding what to build on the property. Leaning towards shipping containers, to build the house we want.

after last year, I'd be good with starting that dream, on the path of it being reality, as the most exciting thing to happen to us.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts