"Twist" question

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by swazispencer, May 16, 2013.

1. swazispencer

swazispencer New Member

I'm looking online to purchase an AR15, either Bushmaster which is 1-9" twist, or Smith & Wesson which is 1-8" twist. They're the same price @ $899. What's the difference in twist? What is twist?

2. fa35jsf

fa35jsf New Member

3. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

damn, beat me to it.

oh hey check this out too.....

more cool stuff

And I just have to say, its actually refreshing to see someone ask these questions BEFORE buying it! Kudos!

4. Triumphman

Triumphman Active Member

If that Bushmaster is the Carbon15 Model, don't purchase as it won't hold up under abuse or time.
    OH! You'll be fine with either barrel twist if you stay with what I've seen/purchased in Factory Ammo on the shelves.
    Del

5. Dearhunter

Dearhunter Supporting Member Supporter

I think your will find that most .223/5.56 ammo that is sold on the market is 55 to 62 gr which is just right for a 1.9 twist. (Most accurate) If you are going to load your own, then it is a matter of choice.

6. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

To expand on that, although both would be fine, I would gravitate towards the 1:8 only if I was intending to shoot the heavier, i.e. 62 grain, bullets. IMO you HAVE to shoot them in a 1:7.

7. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

Get the smith and wesson. Besides, the S&W rollmark is purty sweet, and the cartoon snake just annoys me. On top of that the S&W is just a better rifle.

8. swazispencer

swazispencer New Member

Its the Bushmaster Carbine 15 ORC or the M&P15 Sport. So M&P is better?

9. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

M&P >> Bush

But honestly for that amount of money get a PSA Patrol Carbine with Aimpoint Pro

Its $200 more than the ones you posted, BUT it comes with a red dot that is worth $400. Aimpoints are premium optics and this one will serve you forever. Did I mention you can leave the red dot on for over 4 years on a single battery? Or about the, wait for it, LEGENDARY, reliability of battle proven Aimpoints? Its really a good deal. Its a middy gas, C158 bolt, chromelined barreled, and gots the proper specs. Scrounge up a few more bills, and just add a sling, mags and ammo and you're golden.

The S&W sport is a good buy at $700, not really at $900.

Last edited: May 17, 2013
  10. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

Um, hope I didn't sound too much like a commercial......

11. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

Uh dont worry you did !!!! :D . Tikki's right though the PSA is a far better deal with a optic that will outlast us all . Save up a few more bills and do it right the first time

12. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

Unless you're good enough to be a serious competitor, you won't notice any difference in accuracy.

My colt 6940 has a 1/7 twist and shoots anything from 50 to 77 grain bullets with excellent accuracy.

The S&W is a good rifle.

Welcome to the dark world of the AR-15
    . :D

Once you have been seduced by the Dark Side, foreverwill it rule your destiny! :p:p

13. Quentin

Quentin New Member

It's a really good commercial however! The M&P Sport definitely is better than the Bushhamster but that PSA has deal written all over it.

14. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

Folks buy 1:7 mostly because it's "milspec". And they buy 1:9 mostly because it's what came on their affordable AR, and they gave no thought to twist.

In truth, both 1:7 and 1:9 are generally fine and pragmatic options that will not cripple anyone's gun. And AR twist rate is often an overvalued feature. About 98% of the ammo fired through ARs is somewhere between 55-64gr...right in the 1:9 wheelhouse, and does well enough in a 1:7. But this much is also true, IMO: 1:8 twist rules. Why? Because it shoots just about every bullet an AR shooter would stock, and really well.

If I were to start a higher end AR company tomorrow, 1:8 twist would be 'the standard'...whether a 7", 16", or 24" barrel. It's just a happy medium that performs well across the board. And honestly, it's probably what "milspec" ought to be.

15. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

Yep I agree, every 5.56 should be 1x8. That is unless you are planning on shooting 36 or 40 grain varmiter rounds.

One of many things why Milspec isn't necessarily always the best option.

16. kryptar19

kryptar19 New Member

I agree with AgenTikki.

S&W better than Bushmaster (crotchmaster) ;)

PSA is a better DEAL than the S&W. no cool roll mark tho... :(

Last edited: May 19, 2013
  17. kryptar19

kryptar19 New Member

Ohh and 1:8 is THE way to go. Best of both worlds!!

18. Quentin

Quentin New Member

I'll stick with 1:7. It's fine for 55gr and up. I shot some 52gr out of my DD barrel a couple years ago with no issues out to 100 yards and XM193 has been fine in my three 1:7s as has 55gr .223. No doubt 1:8 has a lot going for it too.

19. CGS

CGS New Member

a C&P from my Ar15 designers guide...

20. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

I have a competition AR with a 1/7 twist. This barrel is designed for higher grain ammo. I have 69 grain .223, which is excellent for home defense, hunting, long distance accurate shooting and various competition scenarios. I recommend the 1/7 twist barrel for diverse situations.