Twin Colts

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by NGIB, Apr 11, 2011.

1. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Just picked these up on a trade this evening, a pair of satin nickel 70 series Combat Commanders. There is some wear on each but they are in fine shape. Kind of stumbled on these as I was trying to make a deal on another gun and the fella had already sold it. I have too much in these but I just couldn't resist owning the pair as they are certainly classics. Now my new Sig Carry is a 4 1/4 inch gun that is much more sophisticated having night sights and more bells & whistles - but the Pony's are just pretty. Yes, they have tiny GI sights but they also have nice triggers and are still tight & smooth.

Believe I may have to take these out tomorrow for a little range test as I got 200 rounds of ammo included in the trade...

[​IMG]

2. mesinge2

mesinge2 New Member

All you need now is a double shoulder rig :D

3. nhsuper44

nhsuper44 New Member

Dual wielding !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

Before the pics loaded, I hoped you were talking about two young horses!!

Those are beautiful!! Congrats!

5. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

NGIB

Those are two fine looking pistols! I can certainly understand the temptation!
    And see you caved IN !!!!! I LIKE! Nice Pistols!

6. NGIB

NGIB New Member

I have to admit that I leaped on these like a fat kid on a pop tart. Rarely do I lose my composure when I wheel & deal but I had to have these. I didn't need them at all but I wanted them...:D

7. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

I'd like to see more pics. Not of the pistols, but of you losing your composure.

Nice pickup, by the way. :)

8. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

Very nice pair of ponies!!

9. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

Look at you go you pimpin motha fu ..... seriously nice guns Dave, congrats :)

I am sooooo jealous :eek:

10. Jo da Plumbr

Jo da Plumbr New Member

I've always wanted to do twins. :rolleyes:

11. canebrake

canebrake New Member

But, but......they're Colts.

[​IMG]

** mad Commander envy **

12. NGIB

NGIB New Member

I broke both of them down last night for a complete clean up and inspection and both look to be in fine shooting shape. Luckily, I got the original parts with the guns so I can change them back to original if I want to. The drop in beavertails fit very well and they really do make the gun more comfortable to grip so I'm going to leave them installed. One thing I did do is take out the full length guide rod from both guns and put back the short rod & plug. Debating on whether I want to have better sights installed or if I should just leave them be. I'm leaning towards leaving them alone as these were never intended to be target guns anyway...

13. Wambli

Wambli New Member

I'd leave them be. Like you said they were never intended to be target guns. Good move on the guide rod. I have them in a few 1911's and they don't bother me enough to replace them but it doesn't belong in an older Colt.

14. MOshooter

MOshooter New Member

15. General_lee

General_lee New Member

16. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Here they are ready to rock, I like the Pachmayr wrap arounds best for shooting. Wood looks pretty in pictures but I prefer to shoot with the Pach's. These shot very well this afternoon with a variety of mags - zero problems...

Attached Files:

17. KBlue

KBlue New Member

Wow. What a pair!

18. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Active Member

Very nice twins Dave! I know you'll hold onto these.

19. NGIB

NGIB New Member

My son must NEVER see them!

20. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Those are sweet. :cool: