TV, can you do without?

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by boatme98, Aug 3, 2013.

1. boatme98

boatme98 New Member

I confess. I don't have a television.
    Don't want one, don't need one.
    I go to my sister's house and flip through the menu, which takes about ten minutes, and there isn't a single thing listed that is remotely interesting. All this for $90 a month.
    The only channels I would have any interest in are probably F-1, BBC, and maybe Speed.
    That would push the bill up to $100. Ridiculous.
    How about you. Can you pull the plug?

2. TekGreg

TekGreg Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Yes. I have hundreds of books and actually know how to and (get this) LIKE to read! I don't own Playstation, Xbox or such. History Channel is interesting at times, but I haven't watched mainstream media voluntarily in over a decade and a half.

3. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

History, Military, Discovery, Weather. Think I had the idiot box on for an hour on Weds- eating a pizza.

4. HM2Grunt

HM2Grunt New Member

I confess that I watch the tube, but only the premium movie channels. I don't like movies on regular channels because of the too frequent commercials, and the editing. Heaven forbid I see a single breast, our hear a cuss word. I do not, cannot watch any network TV news because of the general poor quality. I could do without the cable. I watch movies on the computer, so I could do without TV, but I can't get rid of it because of the shows the family watches. When I am home along, it is seldom on. And the cable bill went up!

5. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

I rarely watch TV. Just don't try to take my radio away from me.

6. Doc3402

Doc3402 New Member

CAN I pull the plug? Yes, I can. Will I pull the plug? Not in this lifetime unless I want it to be significantly shorter. Between hurricanes, lightning, the occasional tornado, and traffic alerts I feel that I can better prepare with the info provided by my news stations.

I don't watch TV for entertainment. When the S.A.M.E radio sends an alert I turn on the TV to determine whether it will directly affect me or not. Can I get the same info on the internet? Not dependably. I have Comcast.

7. sputnik1988

sputnik1988 Active Member

I also very rarely watch TV, I pay for cable because of the "bundle price":rolleyes:

If I were to cancel the cable part of the cable, phone and Internet bundle "deal", the price would only drop about $10:mad:

8. eatmydust

eatmydust New Member

My only TV addiction kicked in about 1 week ago! The NFL!!

9. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

I have satellite service but really don't use it all that much anymore. I'm much more prone to watch streams on the net where I can choose the exact show and/or episode I want to watch. I can even get nfl games which really is rthe best excuse I have for keeping it on. If you dig around the net enough you can find about anything streaming these days. With a better browser ( I use Mozilla Firefox on my computers and my phone) and a good pop up blocker (adblock plus is great) you can even dispense with the ads on most except the ones like on Hulu.

I bought a Roku not long ago that lets me watch hulu plus, netflix, Crackle, and a bunch of other streaming sites on my TV. If you have a 3 megabit connection or up it will run smooth as silk.

Truth be told if I run one of my computers through my big TV I'd never miss not having cable or sat service. I have to watch NFL on a bog screen and the biggest monitor I have on a computer is only 20" :(

10. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

It's NFL or season baby!!:D Everything else si skinny kids playing in short pants.:rolleyes:

11. rn-cindy

rn-cindy Active Member

I watch a little of the news channels Fox/CNN, And Duck Dynasty reruns. But i work 2nd shift, theres nothing on during the day....so i dont care, take it...

12. rockratt

rockratt Active Member Lifetime Supporter

I watch some news during the day. Like Cindy I am currently working swing shift so there isn't anything else on that interest me during the day. I usually head for the shop or outside. Theres always plenty to do around here and I would rather be outside anyway. I have been threatening to pull the plug but keep paying 90 dollars a month for 200 channels of s--t.

13. trip286

trip286 New Member

I neither own, nor want a TV in my house. See this little guy in my profile pic? He needs to be outside playing when he can.

I have a laptop that I download movies on and let him watch sometimes in the evenings.

My sister DVRs Duck Dynasty, and I'm usually over there about once a week, so I get plenty of time to catch up on their antics.

Internet ain't reliable for me.

But, like Winds said, try to take away my RADIO and just see how bad I hurt you.

14. stratrider

stratrider New Member

I rarely watch it. I buy DVDs overseas to watch the latest movie releases and I get my news and entertainment online.

15. Yunus

Yunus New Member

I made an effort to move away from the broadcast/cable/satellite style of TV and into the internet style (Roku, Netflix, Amazon) but with little success. I have basic cable and Netflix, I recently added HBO because somehow Comcast made my bill cheaper by adding a DVR and HBO and I confirmed this is for a full year and not a 3 month promotion.

16. rifleman1

rifleman1 New Member

the sportsmans channel,speed,history and national geographic if they did not exist tv would not exist in my house.
    oh wait yes it would i have wife and kids the wife watches the news every morning and the kids like to watch cartoons occasionaly.

17. NC1760

NC1760 New Member

TV.... Yes or no ???

Sorry all my friends here... I have to have television!! Between catching a good Western and NHL Center Ice during the season... Not to mention the Military channel, Lock & Load Mondays on the Outdoor channel and news updates... It's a modern conveinence that I really like when I come home from the wood trails (that and a hot shower and my gas grill).

18. Donn

Donn Active Member

This thread reminds me of the late 60's, early 70's when it was hip to say you didn't watch/own a TV. Whatever floats your boat. I've got a TV and am not ashamed to say I watch it. I still find the time to get outside, get to the range, wrench the car & motorcycle. Even read a book or two from time to time. I like TV, but I'm not handcuffed to it.

19. Fathead00

Fathead00 New Member

I'm watching TV right now!!! We tape a crap load of shows, so we can fast forward through commercials.;). We just started the free trial for Netflix yesterday.

20. sdiver35

sdiver35 New Member

We haven't had cable since February and really don't miss it much. The only channels I do miss are Discovery, Military and the History - I prefer documentaries.

We went to Maine two weeks ago and stayed in a cabin with power on three times a day and no TV. It was the best most relaxing vacation we have had in years. At night we played cards with our headlamps on and listened to music.