Firearms Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been throwing good money after bad. Far enough out with our new place, I can pick up one city good with a long range antenna, BUT, I want TWO cities :) They are about 25 deg apart. If I get the antenna aligned, just right, I'm in good shape.

Sitting up 25' in the air. Don't really want to go any higher. Upgraded the antenna cable to a higher quality (better shielding, thicker core).

Signal became messed up during a windy night. But still watchable. I checked next day, and the antenna booster was still powered. Antenna looked like it was still aligned. Completely lost all channels except one. I was fussing the new cable somehow was at fault. So, I grabbed some connector lube, a wrench and climbed up on the roof. Checked the angle and it was aligned exactly as I remembered it should be (aligned with a big tree). Dropped the antenna down and it suddenly dawned on me, the antenna had rotated exactly 180 deg.

There is now a lag bolt (all I had that was quickly available) through the two pipes. It will not turn again!

I will probably put the omni direction antenna up in the spring and use both antennas. It should help in the UHF frequencies.

·
Proud to be an American
3,519 Posts
If you have internet and a smart tv check out Pluto tv it's free and grants you access to both live tv channels as well as movies and content you won't find elsewhere. I've just started checking it out but so far I'm very impressed.

·
Premium Member
12,087 Posts
I bought an antenna from Amazon, with remote adjusting. It does fine, and was not very expensive. My nearest TV tower is 35 miles and I pick up one station from 70 miles. Of course, we don't have any mountains in the way in Florida. Now the only problem is finding commercial programming that I can stand to watch, and even that doesn't matter much because I have been going to bed with the sun anyway. Books don't have commercial breaks.

·
Proud to be an American
3,519 Posts
Now the only problem is finding commercial programming that I can stand to watch, and even that doesn't matter much because I have been going to bed with the sun anyway. Books don't have commercial breaks.
I would think you'd feel right at home since 99% of commercial programming is all lefties.

·
Premium Member
12,087 Posts
I would think you'd feel right at home since 99% of commercial programming is all lefties.
That is the most pathetic insult I have received this week. You win a cookie.

·
Premium Member
6,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Internet, sort of.

I pay for a cell based hotspot. It works good, but the unlimited service, isn't really unlimited. A friend had the same service and used it to stream his TV, the would regularly cut off his service. Because I also use it for work, I'm at about 1/2 his data usage. So far, I just get monthly warnings.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts