Turtles for Jack.

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by Shihan, Apr 23, 2011.

1. Shihan

Shihan Active Member Lifetime Supporter

Came across a couple of Jack's buddies.

Here is my fantastic camera work.

Attached Files:

2. Neophyte1

Neophyte1 New Member

Turtles

Shihan: Sir, up close n personal;) Very good:)

3. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

Being this a Shihan thread and all I wasn't sure if I should open it with the title it had. After all it could have been pictures of turtles popping out of his starfish :eek:

4. buckhuntr

buckhuntr Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Lot of folks got an up-close and personal biology lessons that day at Busch Gardens Tampa. :eek:;)

Attached Files:

5. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgExq7eQAh4]YouTube - remix! new slowsky comcast turtle commercial 3[/ame]

6. Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper New Member

Turtleman!!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gn8EQ0azXpQ]YouTube - The Turtleman[/ame]

7. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

Best part of the video..........he was shirtless.

The rest of him....................[​IMG]

8. cuate

cuate New Member

Turtles

Back when I was a kid we could buy little live turtles with pretty designs painted upon their backs, & buy turtle food along with them. I had a couple of turtle pets in a shallow bowl with water and a flat rock they could climb up on when they wanted out of the water...

And alas....some nanny brained people like the tree huggers and bunny kissers outlawed those pets because "they could carry disease"...I didn't get the mumps, measels, and whooping cough from turtles !

The Woolworth dime stores were where I got my pets and I fed and cleaned their bowls when needed...

9. freefall

freefall New Member

The Woolworth stores sold baby alligators then too.:rolleyes: A simpler time. But my mom would never have a baby gator in the house. Actually my folks weren't to high on any critters in the house.

10. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

What's a Woolworth store? :confused:

11. ViNoM

ViNoM New Member

those are some rather small common snapping turtles. Here is a couple of Alligator Snapping Turtles from a relocation project I worked on a few years ago

Attached Files:

12. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

Dang man!!! Those things could take an arm off.:eek:

13. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

:eek::eek: Holy Hell!! That is a serious turtle you got there.

14. winds-of-change

Not only could those turtles carry salmonella but the painting on their backs deformed the shells and eventually killed the turtles. That being said........

We could buy those turtles, goldfish and parakeets at the local Ben Franklin five and dime. I remember buying goldfish and carrying them home in a little paper box with a metal handle, much like Chinese food comes in.

My brother and I used to bring home garter snakes and crayfish from the local creek, too. :)

15. ViNoM

ViNoM New Member

Yep! those alligator snappers can get to over 300lbs in some cases. And yes, they can bite hard!!! this I know first "hand". I about lost the tip of my right ring finger that day. Dang turtle bit from inside a bag. Had to use some pliers to pry open its mouth to get my fingers out. It was just a good thing the turtle that got me was a small one...here I'll post a pic of that one..

Attached Files:

16. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Damn!! I have never heard of such a critter, but I am no longer sure that I like turtles. :eek:

17. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

If those things live in NC I don't think I feel comfortable using a 357 as my woods gun anymore.

18. winds-of-change

One rainy day on my way to work early one morning there was a snapper in the middle of the road. It's carapace was about a foot long. I didn't want it to get hit so I pulled over and I was going to push it off the road with my foot, kind of shove it along. So I walk up to it and put my foot on it and give it a shove. It slides along about 18 inches. I walk up to it to give it another shove and it lunges for my foot. It caught me off guard so here I am on a dark and rainy road getting attacked by a snapping turtle I was trying to help. I'm up on my tip toes doing this tiny stepped back step trying to get away from it because I knew if it got a hold of my shoe I'd be wearing this turtle into work attached to my shoe. So I figured I'd just leave it in the road, if it gets hit, it gets hit. As I walked back to my car he ran off into the ditch. When I got to work and told this story, someone suggested I should have picked it up by the tail and walked it off the road. NO WAY would I pick that dang thing up. I'd be afraid he'd go for my hand as I was reaching down to get his tail.

19. ViNoM

ViNoM New Member

Well with alligator snappers their neck is not as long as a common snapper, a common snapper can reach around and grab you if you have 'em by carapace like the picture up there. And that video...that guy almost got his nuts bit off.

And yes, I'm not sure that 357 would be big enough to pierce the shell. Just as hard and thick as an alligator...almost. They are actually more docile than a common snapper, and for this reason I think that the snapping turtle that WOC described was probably a common snapper. The behavior sounds typical on a common snapper. Alligator snappers don't usually jump like that. The common snappers are actually more vicious that the more fearsomeness looking alligator snappers.

You can find the range of the alligator snapping turtle here http://herpcenter.ipfw.edu/Accounts.../Materials/AlligatorSnappingTurtle_USdist.bmp