Turning a .357 case into a .38 spl??

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by wfsdno, Jun 21, 2008.

1. wfsdno

wfsdno New Member

Okay, I have a bunch (50-100) of .357 cases but no .357 pistol. Can I turn these down (shorten) these to the .38 spl length??

Thanks!! Roger

2. scracer66

scracer66 New Member

3. wfsdno

wfsdno New Member

THANKS! That is what I was hoping to hear.

Roger

4. Zappa

Zappa New Member

Yes, you can, but why bother? .38's are so easy to come by.
    I think this is just the excuse you need to go get a .357 :D
    That's what I did with after I picked up a bunch of .40's at the club, I had to go buy some dies and a CZ75B to shoot them out of :)

5. CARNUT1100

CARNUT1100 New Member

Best excuse ever. now, I have a bunch of 9mm cases once fired that I picked up from a guy who never reloads, and I have a set of 9mm dies. I also have a bunch of 9mm projectiles.
    Maybe I need a 9mm 1911 conversion.........watcha think???:D

Seriously, should be no probs to just trim them down and go.

6. G21.45

G21.45 New Member

Not a good reloading practice! Now you're going to have a bunch of cartridge cases that are head stamped as, '357 magnum', loaded to 38 special velocity, and 0.1" shorter than they should be.

When you've got 100's or 1,000's of rounds stockpiled, why would you want to carry something like that in inventory?

7. CARNUT1100

CARNUT1100 New Member

There is no problem in this case, .38 spl rounds are safe to use in a .357 Magnum.

8. G21.45

G21.45 New Member

Who said anything about, 'safe'? So, what happens when you reach for 357 magnum ammo and come up with mismarked 38 special? I've got critters walking around here at night that I'm positive I don't want to attempt to use 38 special anything on.

9. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

The only thing I would be worried about is possibly overcharging the 38. Perhaps this isn't a concern, I just got my first 357 mag(a sweet 6" model 19!) and my dies are on the way so I don't have a lot of experience loading either round but that possibility comes to mind...

10. CARNUT1100

CARNUT1100 New Member

Fair enough....I was thinking automatically along the lines of what we can do here, where the only place you can legally use a handgun is on a target range, and it doesn't matter much at all except to your score if you stick the wrong load in.

11. seedy

seedy Member

The best way to check for a double charge is to use a loading tray and when you are through charging your cases hold them up in a good light to compare the levels. I find it easy to see if there is any disparities if you use a good overhead light.CD

12. marysdad

marysdad Member

I went 20 years without a wheelgun, but kept a bunch of .357 cases. When I bought a .38 snubbie, I turned a bunch of .357's down to .38 spl. length. I did this with the understanding that, if I ever got a .357 again, the modded cases went in the trash. As long as you aren't concurrently loading for .357, you should be fine. If you also own a .357, I wouldn't recommend it.

13. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

I would look to trade the mag cases for spl cases. Could get more .38's in the trade and save a lot of time. I have not checked but .357 cases may have an internal taper that would make bullet seating problematic. Stick with the proper case.