Turning a .22 into a .223

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by falcon11player, May 25, 2014.

1. falcon11player

falcon11player New Member

Someone tell me if there is a way to convert a mossberg 715T into a .223...thanks...

2. JonM

JonM Moderator

first your going to need a new bolt carrier group, barrel, upper receiver and lower receiver for starters

3. falcon11player

I will need all of that? Is there a simplee route

4. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

In short- no. The 715T is a blowback operated rifle. .223 is gas operated. There is no gas system on the 715. Being low powered, the 715 does not have or need a buffer. .223 needs a buffer. The bolt does not lock up on the 715 except by spring pressure- the .223 uses a rotating bolt to lock lugs onto the back of the barrel. Wrong bolt (rimfire) instead of centerfire, wrong extractor, bolt face not even close, etc.

Lightning and lightning bug are two very different things. Altho a 715T may LOOK like an AR15- it is not, will not be, cannot be, etc. Given a complete machine shop, 2 master tool and die makers and a couple of weeks, you could make a 715 into an AR. At a cost about 10 X higher than the cost of buying an AR.

5. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

If the specs don't say Standard AR Lower, it probably isn't. Chances are the lower is proprietary to Mossberg. So unfortunately it's a no, for many reasons. The silver lining? The AR market is buyer's dream now, surreal. Unsolicited advice? If you really want a .223... Spend the money on a new AR-15, while the dream lasts. Trade the Moss. You can add a 22 upper later.

6. toddchaney

toddchaney New Member

I don't think there is a possible way to carry out this conversion. Even if you do, it won't be safe to use that rifle.

7. Highpower

Highpower New Member

Don't believe everything you read on the internet... or in a newspaper... or hear on television... or coming out of an ATF Special Agent's mouth....

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rk8-ePGqBmM[/ame]

8. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Purchase the correct firearm.
    It is cheaper and safer than converting.

9. Yunus

Yunus New Member

Just look at the cartridges next to each other. A .223 is going to cause much more stress and fatigue on the parts involved. Not using parts designed for that cartridge is dangerous.

You could turn a .223 into a .22 safely but the other way around is just asking for trouble.

10. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

+1 on "just buy a real AR". Consider this; if you do, now you'll have 2 guns! And everybody knows 2 guns is better than 1 gun, right?

11. falcon11player

What's some good .223/ Ars shooting .223

12. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

PSA comes up constantly, and they are having pretty good sales thru today. And, you want something chambered for 5.56. It will also shoot 223.

13. Yunus

Yunus New Member

Check out the AR-15 section and you will find more info than you know what to do with. Start with some of the sticky posts though and you will find extensive details on some things to consider. If your looking for a one sentence response.

Rock River, POF, DPMS, Daniel Defense are all good options of differing price points.

14. Highpower

Highpower New Member

CMMG is one more option if you would like to have convenient one stop shopping for interchangeable centerfire and rimfire platforms. http://www.cmmginc.com/Default.asp

Great customer service as well in my experience.

Last edited: May 26, 2014
  15. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

NO you can NOT, the Mossberg 715T is blowback, not gas operated...............

16. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

Another option is the S&W M&P-15 and get the S&W 22 conversion Kit.....the choice of many a serious Shooter

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

17. Bigcountry02

Bigcountry02 Coffee! If your not shaking, you need another cup Supporter

Seeing the price of AK ammo dropping, might be option of getting an AK.

18. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

Here is a question that has been bugging me for a while. Does anybody make a 22 AR that IS meant to have a 223 upper put on it? Kinda like an upgrade? I know a guy who supposedly did the research, and got one that will do that. S&W, I think? I have my doubts. As far as I'm aware, no one makes this. Correct me if I'm wrong, but a full-on AR with a 22 upper wouldn't be considered a "starter" gun, (price-wise, at least) because the savings from a 22 to 223 upper would not be that much...

19. Bigcountry02

Bigcountry02 Coffee! If your not shaking, you need another cup Supporter

Does anybody make a 22 AR that IS meant to have a 223 upper put on it?
    I have never heard or seen, a few issues with the recoil spring in the butt stock, the magazine well fit for AR-15 magazine. Now Smith & Wesson has the M&P 15-22. the magazine well will only accept MP 15-22 magazines and not AR-15 magazines.

Kinda like an upgrade?
    Modifications to recoil spring, might need a trigger upgrade and metal work on the magazine well, if you use an MP 15-22 as an example.

My best choice, would be if you already have an AR, is purchase a conversion package to .22LR.

If you have just a .22LR, purchase either a bolt .223, AR-15, Mossberg MVP Series rifles. I have the varmint 24" version and love it.

20. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

Besides S&W CCMG makes an upper in 22LR for generic AR's.

Edit: CMMG

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

Last edited: Jun 8, 2014