Turn your Handgun Into a Pellet Gun?

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by Trez, Apr 13, 2012.

1. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

Just wondering if anyone has tried one of these kits? It lets you shoot pellets out of your gun...

http://convert-a-pell.com/

2. Demonlx

Demonlx New Member

No never heard of it but it sounds pretty cool...I just wouldn't trust it though.

3. sputnik1988

sputnik1988 Active Member

A little off topic here but, I've been thinking about buying a pellet gun, it'd be like having a .22 with a silencer. Plus i bet the 'ammo' is dirt cheap. Would make a good survival rifle imo.

4. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

Kinda sounds like, "Transform your home into a trailer."

If someone wants a pellet/bb/etc gun, I believe there are pretty darn good replicas of many popular centerfire model pistols for reasonable enough prices. And without having to worry about screwing up a perfectly good gun. If my perspective is off, I blame it entirely on my weirdness.

5. jeffxc

jeffxc New Member

huh?

why would you want to do that? they don't even have prices on their website, and you can buy a pellet gun that mimics the feel of a REAL weapon for under $100.

I have a pellet "berettaa fs92" - feels just like the real thing, aims like the real thing, but no noise, and a fun thing to shoot and cheap at that.....

6. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

I imagine that someday someone would accidentaly fire a live round in their home thinking it was set up for pellets. I think real guns for real ammo and pellet guns for pellets.

7. dragunovsks

dragunovsks New Member

Why? Just buy a pellet gun, they are cheap

8. Polygon

Polygon New Member

That's exactly what I was thinking. It's not like they're hard to come by or expensive. If I want a pellet gun, I'll just go buy one.

9. PlaysWithZombies

PlaysWithZombies New Member

Definitely, if i were to buy a conversion kit for my 1911 (or any handgun for that matter) it would be .22lr, not .177 pellets.

10. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

The answer to yet another question I've never asked.
    Seems like an expensive & and complicated way to shoot pellets. A shotgun primer would at least double the cost per shot, if not more. I could find nothing about how much the actual device costs. It would appear to be a bit on the pricey side.
    To be fair, I'm not the target market, as I already own normal airguns of various types.

Here's an old review I found:
    http://www.pyramydair.com/blog/2006/03/convert-pell-any-good.html

11. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

I was just curious... I thought it would be cool to add another caliber for my damn serpent pistol... I dont think theres a airgun replica of that... ;)

12. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

I wouldn't want to convert a firearm to a toy. I want to always be aware of the firearm I am holding is a deadly tool.

Off, off topic, but there is a good article in the current Shotgun News that talks about large caliber air rifles. There is even a photo of a buffalo killed with an air gun. You would not get that kind of performance out of a conversion. I bet it won't be long before the BATFE reconsiders air rifles as firearms. It might go down like the registering of automatic weapons. Get 'em while they are hot.

13. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

Used to be, I assume it still is, any air rifle that could generate more than 12 ft/lbs of energy was considered a firearm in the UK. I believe it was 8 ft/lbs for pistols (or maybe 6, not sure). Even less impressive older airguns are worth a look.
    I've killed a Jackrabbit with a .177 airgun when I was about 14 (the gun: Feinwerkbau 124). Squirrels were not a problem either. If there wasn't much wind, 40 to 50 yard shots on juice cans were easy.
    Calling them toys is a bit of a disservice.