Turkey shoots

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by LaineC, Apr 5, 2012.

1. LaineC

LaineC New Member

How many of you attend turkey shoots in the fall?

2. akers06

akers06 New Member

I never have but I would love too and I never hear of any around my area

3. LaineC

LaineC New Member

It's fun, if you've got a good gun!

4. akers06

akers06 New Member

I'd say I've got a pretty good shooting gun....I put around 110-120 #4s in a 10" circle at 40 yards

5. sjonca

sjonca New Member

I'm hoping I can maneuver my way to some Spring turkey shooting tomorrow!

Sent from my iPad using FirearmsTalk

6. Intheshop

Intheshop New Member

Did the "proffesional",Pro-Stock circuit for about 5 or so years,late 70's-early 80's.Think sleeved...back-bored...high mag scopes...ect,ect.'Bout the only "spec" rules were shooting house ammo.Very popular sport throughout the mnts of Va,WV,and NC mnts.

Some venues larger than others,some were invitation only.In fact the best ones were sort of private....there was an "A" list.And you'd see the same 20-30 guys showing up.These were the high rollers @500 a shot.I'd go to these but was way out of my pay scale on both the money and the rigs.

Overall,it was a very fun time....albeit a little over the top.Just a headsup though,be dang careful getting into any real competition(big money) with folks you don't know.Pool sharks don't have a thing on some of these "pro's".BW

7. LaineC

LaineC New Member

We have shoots that put a piece of paper w/ an X in the middle about 90'-100' away and you use house ammo which is usually the cheapest 71/2 shot they can find the, closest shot to the center wins, usually $5.00 a shot and you win a ham or turkey, it's fun but luck plays a big part in these.

8. akers06

akers06 New Member

That sounds fun is really like to get into that.....I didn't know you shot whatever they provided for you

9. LaineC

LaineC New Member

Yeah it's mostly put on by civic groups and our sheriffs dept, as fund raisers, its fun the most expensive shoot is usually $20.00 and it's for a shotgun which is typically a 12ga Nova.

10. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Ours was a turkey target and 22lr at 25 yards. 1st place was a Glock or $500. $20 entry. I placed 4th so I won a turkey.