Turkey calls?

Discussion in 'Hunting Forum' started by HotFudge, Nov 13, 2011.

1. HotFudge

HotFudge New Member

What turkey calls do y'all use?

2. cswann1

cswann1 New Member

For several years my dad and I used box calls. In the past couple of seasons we've been using an electronic call that he picked up at Bass Pro Shops.

I was skeptical at first. In close range it didn't sound natural, but when the toms are hot they come running. Sometimes literally.

3. Muliemaster

Muliemaster New Member

I use a slate call I hand made over 30 yrs ago ,people cant believe the sound my old homemade call makes. I worked on it for several months, sanding tiny amounts untill I got the sound I wanted have taken over 26 long beards with it

4. towboater

towboater Well-Known Member

I use em all, but use the slate the most.

5. Muliemaster

Muliemaster New Member

I built mine from scratch usin hickory for the top slate an oak for the bottom box, I use no chalk on it whatso ever. The sound it makes is like nuthin you have ever heard. Over the yrs I have tried many different slates that just cant match mine

6. ACRhino

ACRhino New Member

How do you make one?

7. PanBaccha

PanBaccha New Member

The New York kind: "Hey! Com'mere!!"

8. Muliemaster

Muliemaster New Member

Very simple if u have any building skills all u need to make is the bottom box an the top slate. Once made I sanded mine lil by li untill I had the sound I wanted. I dont have instructions u just have to wing it like I did, look at the box calls made then make yer own

9. ACRhino

ACRhino New Member

What type of wood? Is the top slate hinged or free floating? I would think that using a box call would be hard since your hands would be off the firearm.

What about those voice call things you use with your tongue?

10. Muliemaster

Muliemaster New Member

I have never had to hold my gun the whole time. Thats tv bs where u have someone callin for u when the long bead shows im in a blind anyway get him close to the decoys put the call down an shoot him my gun is across my lap tho easy to bring up

11. natman

natman Member

I use a box call. I have two large ones and a small one. I carry one of the large and the small. I hunt a relatively small area and I don't want the toms to hear the same call over and over.

I also have a tiny box call that mounts on the barrel of my turkey gun. It has a string that I can pull with my left hand in order to get the tom to gobble and stick his neck out for the last time.

I've tried mouth calls and you can get great sounds out of them, but no matter what I try, I end up drooling like a St. Bernard every time I use them. So it's use a box call or drown.