Turk Mauser - Bad bore/rifling - What to do?

Discussion in 'Curio & Relic Discussion' started by SouthSeaPirate, Nov 9, 2014.

1. SouthSeaPirate

SouthSeaPirate New Member

Well today I discovered the bore is pretty pitted and the rifling is worn. I can see from chamber end the barrel is shiny; from the muzzle end, well you get the idea. So basically some of the barrel looks good and the rest is crap.

So now Id like to know my options. If enough of the barrel is intact I can counter bore, but that's a shot in the dark. If enough of the barrel is good then I could cut it down and sporterize it. Then there's getting another barrel, but that's too much to keep a not so common caliber. Another is to re-barrel to .308, which is something Id love to do.

Now Im nothing more than a mechanically inclined individual; far from being a smith. That said, as far as I know, all that needs be done to convert to .308 is change the barrel. From what reading Ive done, some Turk receivers are large ring type with small ring threads. This in turn makes the barrel harder to find?

Opinions? Input? What would you do?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 9, 2014
  2. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

The logical first step would be to shoot it and see if it shoots OK. This unless you DO want to re-barrel it. It could shoot just fine the way it is- - or not. There is only one way to find out.

3. dwmiller

dwmiller Well-Known Member

Last edited: Nov 9, 2014
  4. Warlock999

Warlock999 New Member

i have to agree about re-barreling the rifle. not a DIYer type job at the house without the skills and the equipment to do the job. also depends on the current value of the rifle in it's present condition whether re-barreling would be a good option either. might be better to sell it and buy one with a better bore to begin with. re-barreling that rifle is not going to be cheap, whether you buy an older barrel in good condition or buying a new one. two things could happen, either you would be destroying it's value by re-barreling, or the cost would far exceed the value of the rifle to begin with.

my suggestion would be to sell it and buy another one with a good bore, or buy a rifle in a caliber you like.

5. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

I would check the head space & if OK then I would shoot a box of shells through it & go from there !................

6. SouthSeaPirate

SouthSeaPirate New Member

http://www.troupsystems.com/mauser 308 barrels.htm

I was checking out this.
    If I need a smith I'd rather sell it for parts really. I was hoping I could do it myself. I honestly cannot remember the last time I paid for service for anything other than food...

7. therewolf

therewolf New Member

I would try to clean the barrel thoroughly

first. Try Janitor's ammonia 1:3 with water

to break free any cppper and lead fouling.

Then Dawn dish detergent. Finally some

automatic transmission fluid, in a couple

of overnight barrel (inside the barrel only)

soaks.

Then try to see if you can shoot any accurate

groups. Decide if the accuracy is acceptable then.

8. kfox75

kfox75 Well-Known Member Supporter

This, ^^

If you find it is a good shooter, keep it as is. If nothing else, truck gun.

If you find that it should be nicknamed "Lightning", (never hits the same spot twice) strip it down, and part it out. I would keep the action to do a sporter build if that was the case, but, un the end, the choice is yours.

9. Rex in OTZ

Rex in OTZ Well-Known Member

How about making it fun to shoot?

http://www.troupsystems.com/MAUSER/mauser_conversions.htm

These work with Mauser K98, Czech Vz22-Vz24 and Turkish Mausers the best.*DO NOT USE YUGOSLAVIAN M48 rifles, it is very difficult to get them to work correctly due to the bolt face and feed ramp designs.

Mauser kits in 45acp for large or small ring receivers. $160.00

Mauser Adapters only, $55

Attached Files:

10. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

I've seen some of the Mosin rifles with pretty rough bores shoot ok groups.

Definitely clean it up and try it before you scrap it or cut it up.

11. Artbrownsr

Artbrownsr Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

12. HM2Grunt

HM2Grunt New Member

You need to go back to why you bought this Mauser. You should have passed on it if the bore is bad, and you really wanted a shooter.

This is a C+R rifle that should be left alone, in it's natural state. It has history. It should be taken care of. How many hands has this rifle passed through. You are it's "curator" now. You won't have it forever, and it will eventually pass on to to future hands. Pass it on, original.

I have a 1917 original 1903 Springfield. It is completely original. The only problem is it's serial number which puts this rifle smack in the "brittle receiver" range, but I accepted that fact when I bought it,wanted it because it is an actual WW1 rifle that, inspite of the serial number, appears to have been in the trenches, and I drilled with one in boot camp back in pre-historic times. It has a, cherished, non-shooting, place in the collection.

About the condition of the bore in your rifle, it doesn't look as bad as my old Mosin did. I cleaned the bore with brushes, wore many of them out in the process, checked the head space, and it shoots fine. Doesn't shoot miracles groups, but if I want to shoot tighter groups, I have modern rifles for that. Good luck, what ever way you choose to go.

13. kfox75

kfox75 Well-Known Member Supporter

I have an old Turk receiver and a box of parts laying around. Looks like time to order up a stock, as i placed an order for one of these kits yesterday.