Turk 1937, Who's my Daddy?

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by dteed4094, Nov 29, 2010.

1. dteed4094

dteed4094 New Member

I recently acquired a Turk referb and would like to know what model Mauser it was origionaly? I would also like to know what ammo would be safe to shoot in it? I didn't take pick of the bottom metalbut, It does not have accomodations for capture screws. Hopefully the pictures will help. All numbers match as I tried to show in the pics. The 6th pic was of the rear of the barrel that has "7.91" stamped on it. I assume that is the caliber. Any info will be welcomed.

turk1.jpg
    turk2.jpg
    turk3.jpg
    turk4.jpg
    turk5.jpg

2. dteed4094

dteed4094 New Member

oh just another Turk question

Thanks anyway. I assume I recieved no replys because a mod. thout it was redundant. If I were looking for a generic answer that would be true. Or if I was asking just out of curiousity, which I wasn't. I wanted to know which ammo should not be used. NOT IMORTANT. I asked in this forum because I know at least 3 members specifically could answer my questions. I want to thank whoever was responsible for poorly scrutinizing my post again. THANKS :mad:

3. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Slightly different version of the Model 98. See link: turkmain and scroll down. In 1938, Turkey made mods on earlier rifles to bring them to a standardization. Ammo is the present day 8mm Mauser (actually 7.92 mm, but no one calls it that) I acquired a bunch of surplus Turk ammo, and the stuff will put tears in your eyes- loaded rather hot. Your rifle should shoot any standard 8mm Mauser ammo.

4. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

Turk version of the GEW98. Great rifle. As stated, standard 8x57 is the correct ammo. C3, I bought a case of 1949 Turk ammo. Great stuff, and yes it is loaded hot.

5. dteed4094

dteed4094 New Member

Thanks for the Info. The ammo has several different markings on the cartridges.They all have 7.9 and are appropriate but are not all equal as far as power is concerned which is obvious when you shoot them. Itis all corrosive. This Turk is suprizingly accurate.The picture of the 2 targets are @ 100yds, the left one is Rem. 170 gr SP Corelok. the right one is unknown surplus.

turk1.jpg

Turk.jpg