tuning trigger on marlin 60

Discussion in 'DIY Projects' started by sagenodland, Nov 2, 2011.

1. sagenodland

sagenodland New Member

On tuning the trigger how would you do it mine isn't very gritty but it has alot of takup
    I've heard you cut 1 coil off of the hammer spring to lighten it
    But how do you eliminate the take up?

2. sagenodland

sagenodland New Member

No one has anything to say
    Axxe? Shrek?
    Anyone?

3. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

sorry, no input on this as my trigger on mine is stock as far as i know and seems to work fine as is. won't modify mine until i have some information too. maybe someone with more experiance with triggers on M60's will post sme information on it.

4. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Put a bead off from a dog tag chain in the return springs hole on the trigger sear

5. willfully armed

willfully armed New Member

Any Pictures?

6. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Last edited: Nov 25, 2011
  7. sagenodland

sagenodland New Member

That's an interesting solution to that problem.

8. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Ya and its worked on alot of guns since i heard of it and me and my GS master got to using it

9. tonydewar

tonydewar New Member

have not worked on a 60 but start by polishing. clean up the machine marks but leave the angles the same. then study how the trigger works overtravel is mostly a easy fix .take up some place there is a void to be filled. pull go slow and carefull do not try to go to light. polishing(and stoning) makes a big difference

10. m82mike

m82mike New Member

This month's 'American gunsmith' has a very good article on working the 60's
    trigger. firing mech. comes out in one unit and can not be disassembled by
    the public. ( it takes a special jig to line every thing up properly.)
    Article tells how to drill thru side of unit to get to points needing work.

HTH, Mike

11. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

welcome to the forum mike! stop over in the introductions section and say hello.

is the ' American Gunsmith' a website? as i am curious about this modification for my M60 Marlin, and would love to learn more about it.

12. m82mike

m82mike New Member

American Gunsmith has a website, but is also a monthly publication.

It is a sister publication to 'Guntests'

Mike

13. suptra25

suptra25 New Member

Nonsense! I've had the lower receiver apart without a jig. You just have to make sure the piece inside the hammer spring has some sort of pin in it BEFORE!!! You take it apart. And also be sure to keep track of the e-clips, cause they're easy to loose. And most of all... Go slow (so you can remember how everything goes back together.) oh and good idea about the dog tag link, ill try it out if mine ever "slacks-out"

14. MidnightExpress

MidnightExpress New Member

Trigger pre-travel has been successfully reduced by adding a set screw in the top of the trigger where it makes contact with the disconnector. This also makes it adjustable. Trigger pull weight can be reduced by cutting a new angle on the sear, I've done several and prefer this method. Some have been successful tuning the pull by bending the springs and/or clipping the hammer spring a little. My 60 became unreliable with tweaked springs which is what lead me to working the sear.

If you need accurate rimfire information the best forum is Rimfire Central, the link below is for the Marlin semi-auto rifles (like the 60, 795 & other variants), but they cover nearly everything else rimfire too.

Marlin Semiautomatic - RimfireCentral.com Forums.

No drilling or special jig required to work on a Marlin semi-auto action assembly (60, 795, 99M1 etc.). All you need is the proper procedure and it comes apart without any surprises.

I did find this article. "Working Marlin’s Model 60 Successfully By Frank Fry" I don't think it's the one you're referring to because it's well over a year old and doesn't mention any modifications. A link to American Gunsmith and/or to the article would be nice if you have one or both. I'm curious as to what and why they're drilling.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2012