Tumbling Media

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by mudslinger79, Sep 23, 2012.

1. mudslinger79

mudslinger79 New Member

I have been using crushed walnut shell in my tumbler and it works great!!!!! I picked up a 10lb bag at Petsmart for $7.00!!!!! I was just wondering, how often, if ever, do you all change out your media?

2. KG7IL

KG7IL Active Member

I also buy reptile/bird litter (crushed walnut shell).

I just know when it needs to be changed. One day I just walk in, look at it and say. "Gawd, this needs to be changed"

And that is when I change it.

3. mudslinger79

mudslinger79 New Member

LOL!!! Just change when it's grimy looking I take it.

4. LongRifle50

LongRifle50 New Member

You can give used media a bit of extra life, till you get more. By throwing in some of those dryer sheets and tumbling for an hour.

5. mudslinger79

mudslinger79 New Member

Gonna have to try that!! Thanks!!

6. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

I use corncob media. I have a Thumler's model B rotary tumbler, and a Lyman 1200 vibratory. The corncobs work extremely well in both.

I change it when it looks like it needs changing.:D:D

7. LongRifle50

LongRifle50 New Member

I use walnut shells and corn cob. An hour in walnut shells to clean, 2 hours in corn cob with a capful of Dillon polish. Come out better than new.

8. locutus

Another tow stepper! :D

I wash my brass first in warm water and Tide in my Thumler's rtary tumbler, then if they need it, polish in the vibratory with corncobs treated with polishing media.

To me, at least, the extra step is worthwhile.

9. Missouribound

Missouribound Active Member

I've been using the stainless steel media for a couple of years now. It's a one step operation, the primer pockets are perfect, the brass is shiny, cleaner than most new brass. No throat deformation, just clean. And the steel will most likely last forever. The tumbler is very quiet and can be used without annoying anyone else around.

10. locutus

Where do ya get the stainless media?

11. Missouribound

Pellets LLC
    Kevin Walters
    716-693-1750
    kwalters@pelletsllc.com

It's about (was) $5 a pound, but that was a few years ago. I believe the minimum was 5#. I have a small tumbler, so I use about 2# but you can share with another reloader or get a larger tumbler. Good luck.

12. minniehill

minniehill New Member

Is it a powder? More coarse? What would you compare it to?

13. Missouribound

It's actually tiny little pins, small enough to fit through a primer hole and about 5/32" long....about the size of pencil lead for mechanical pencils. They are stainless, but they can be picked up with a magnet....must be stainless coated. The letter "I" on your keyboard is a close reference.