tumbling live ammo?

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by m72law, Apr 11, 2009.

1. m72law

m72law New Member

i was just wondering if anyone has ever tried this without any problems?...just wondering cause a buddy of mine gave me about 1500rds of fmj .45acp's..looks like some old military rounds..IDK?..most are tarnished and some have corrosion on them...Should i attemp to clean'em...or just shoot'em up...before they rot away....he also gave me some 32 winchester ammo...?..looks like a 30-30 but IDK?....can these rounds be shot through a 30-30..?..prob not huh?...but anyways why i asked that also he gave me some 32 S&Wlongs that shoot great in my old nagant pistol...these bullets look very old...i would like to tumble these also if possable?..thanks for any info

Last edited: Apr 11, 2009
  2. zap

zap New Member

I've tumbled newly loaded stuff to clean them up without a problem.

If have ammo and you don't know what it is for sure...keep it out of your guns. Period.

3. BILLYBOB44

BILLYBOB44 Active Member

Do not clean in case cleaner

DO NOT TUMBLE LOADED AMMO!! Read previous threads/post on cleaning loaded ammo. This is NOT a SAFE practice, and should not be done. I would NOT shoot very old Mil.Surplus ammo, in my .45, but I guess that's your call. With that amount(1500rds of fmj.) I would probably dis-assemble, inspect, and use what I could, with NEW powder for the loads. DO NOT SHOOT 32 Win.loads in any 30-30. Some folks pay good $ for old loads like the 32 Win. I would try to sell/trade the 32 Win. loads for something I could use. Just my 2cents worth on these topics.:D:D

4. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

Tumbling live ammo can break down the powder inside the case, changing the burn rate. If you intend to pull the ammo apart for components to reload, the powder deterioration won't matter, as long as you don't reuse the powder.

5. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

That is indeed a controversial topic. You will get many different opinions on tumbling live ammo. Nearly all will agree NEVER TUMBLE RIMFIRE AMMO.

Have I done it? Yes.

Would I do it again? No.

If the ammo is simply dull from age, shoot it up. If it is corroded, Tear it down for components.

6. stick_man

stick_man New Member

tumbling loaded rounds

I would strongly discourage tumbling any loaded rounds as well. I view it kind of like sifting flour. You have all those flakes/granules/whatever that are all nice and comfy, getting along real well with their neighbor. You sift them (or tumble them as the case may be) and you get them all shook up. Next thing you know, the flakes are next to some flake they may not get along very well with and they fight. Then you've got real problems.

Seriously though, by tumbling loaded rounds, you run into three potentially dangerous situations: 1) the powder could become more compacted resulting in a different burn (or incomplete burn in some cases). This could drastically affect pressure levels. 2) if using pointed bullet types, you would run a risk of causing a discharge (so I hear, I have never actually seen it happen nor talked with anybody that has). 3) if tumbling in walnut media, you run a slim chance of some of the media getting lodged in the primer pocket next to the primer. This could cause a malfunction as the bolt closes, either a premature detonation or an incomplete lockup. In high pressure rounds, an incomplete lockup could be disasterous.

I think a better way to clean the rounds would be to hand polish them. Yes, it would be a real PITA, but it would also be much safer.

7. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

8. JimGiven

JimGiven New Member

Tumbling live ammo

cpttango30...for some reason, it says I do not have permission to view your results.

Any way to disassemble and reuse all the components?

Best,
    Jim

9. willfully armed

willfully armed New Member

i also do not have "permission"

10. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

Oh yah you have to be a supporting member to see that and many other good write ups on many many things.

I am holding a drawing where I pay your year of FTF then you have to do the same for someone else. http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/tangos-may-madness-giveaway-13392/

In short I took some ammo loaded it with short cut, ball and regular stick powder with mid range loads in 308 win with 155gr bullets. and tumbled it. I did find some powder was breaking down. Me personally I tumble my brass enough to not warrant tumbling loaded ammo.

You know there is reason behind the warnings from the manufactures it is not all CYA all the time. There had to be something happen to someone for them to print that.

11. BILLYBOB44

BILLYBOB44 Active Member

Your blockers??

I was able to go right to the post. You may check it on your end. It MAY help if you both become Supporting Members?:D:p:p

12. canebrake

canebrake New Member

The Knowledge Base is a Supporting Member area.

Cough up the 15$ and come on in!

Skip that 12 pack for a change. You won't be disappointed.

The Bunker is worth that much per month!

Tell 'em billybob.

13. BILLYBOB44

BILLYBOB44 Active Member

S. Member Dues??

Hay, I gave my dues early in my membership, and have never looked back. How much WOULD you give to get into the BEST knowledge of keeping YOUR 2AMEND Rights? Kind of cheap when you look at it that way, isn't it??:confused::D:D

14. m72law

m72law New Member

i took a chance and tumbled the ammo....1hr30mins in the tumbler with a lil polish and the old ammo looks as good if not better than new...:)...time to reload 1200rds...:/

15. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

4 people gave you the same answer. Then you take the advice and trash it and go ahead and do it anyways.

All I can say is ponch picture seeing as I am not allowed to post it in the general forums because MattG told me not to.

16. zap

zap New Member

I ran this question by a guy I know who has loaded for a lot of years longer than I have. He advised that he doesn't think twice about tumbling live ammo.

When I inquired as to why, and mentioned some of the issues brought out in this thread, he told me that he has been to some of the ammo loading plants (olin I think) and said they ALWAYS tumble live ammo before they package it. He said they do indeed have a round or two go off now and then but no damage is caused when that happens. Also, the huge numbers of live rounds they tumble daily negates any statistical probability of harm by a round going off in a tumbler. Besides, since no pressure builds up as it would in a chamber of a gun, there is no real harm.

My understanding is they tumble live stuff the same reason I've done it -to remove any residue from the loading process which might fowl the gun after repeated firings.

I'm not at all trying to start a war here. However, it appears there are more than one way to view this practice.

17. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

Yup and why kind of powder do they use?

BALL ball powder is less susceptible to tumbling. Still It is amazing that olin and all these companies let so many people into and onto their manufacturing floor.

All I can say is that there is no way in hell a ammunition company lets ammo go off in its manufacturing facility. That there has to be the dumbest statement I have seen on here in a while. Man you get a ponch picture too......

18. Mark F

Mark F New Member Supporter

A thread like this is rendered useless when good advice is tossed out. Which makes me wonder why it was posted in the first place...

It's been long since known in the psyche circles, that some people do this for attention. Is this the case here? PROBABLY...

19. JimGiven

JimGiven New Member

Would you pull the bullets and tumble them to get the corrosion off of them?

Jim

20. RL357Mag

RL357Mag New Member

Tumbling ANY powder, ball, spherical, or extruded, is VERY, VERY, DANGEROUS. Why? For two reasons:

1. There is a coating on all powder types called "deterrent" coating. The purpose of this coating is to establish the burn rate of that particular powder as well as to preserve the powder granule in it's original shape and consistency. (It's almost like the candy coating on medicine which determines the absorption rate and allows it to disolve at the correct rate)Tumbling destroys this coating!

2. Tumbling breaks the powder down into a fine powder. This DRAMATICALLY increases the burn rate and pressure to dangerous levels, and especially in an older gun. Breaking up the powder granules also has the effect of decreasing the volume of powder in the case and this subsequently increases the air space in the case. This in itself is a dangerous situation.

Now, anyone smart enough to understand this should be smart enough to comprehend the danger. That being said, anyone that tumbles live ammo and then shoots it deserves to have their gun and their face permanently disfigured as a reminder of how STUPID they were!

Last edited: May 6, 2009