TulAmmo???

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by GlockRenegade, Aug 24, 2012.

1. GlockRenegade

GlockRenegade New Member

Steel cased, the 9mm 115gr runs great for me. Was shooting Federal and Winchester as well, but the TulAmmo was very accurate. How much wear can steel cased ammo do to my Glock? Heard its not best idea to shoot steel cased - thoughts?

2. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

Urban Legend

I shoot WPA steel xase 9mm all the time, no worries. I also shoot WPA and Wolf (actually I think Wolf makes WPA) in my AR too.

Got a RIA Tactical 9mm on order just so I can shoot a 1911 for $8 for 50 rounds.

Just clean your pistol when it needs it, keep the moving parts oiled and you should be ready.

The stuff stored in spam cans may have a lacquer coating that can build up in the chamber. The steel case I have purchased "by the box" has not given me any problems due to lacquer.

3. PanBaccha

PanBaccha New Member

I, too, am indecisive about Russian ammo. But with an AK 47 and the price of ammo I am leaning toward the purchase of Wolf 7.62x39 steel casing. AK's eat anything.

4. PrinC

PrinC New Member

I don't trust Tullammo one bit. We have had countless light strikes on many pistols and barrel bulges when using them in two of our glocks. We had to discontinue using it for our upcoming All steel Tournament this weekend.

5. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

I personally will not run steel cased or aluminum cased ammo thru any of my weapons. I know people use a lot of it without any problems but I don't like the idea of steel against steel and brass was chosen for a reason. Brass has a natural lubricity to it, it expands and seals very well, it is much softer then the surrounding material so it will not damage the weapon, it is also reloadable which is important to me as a reloader.

6. qwiksdraw

qwiksdraw New Member

From what I have learned about TulAmmo is that the lacquer problems of the past have been resolved and the steel casing is now a "softer" steel. Any steel casing will not be as hard as the barrel. Ditto for aluminum.

The biggest problem for steel is not the hardness tearing up your gun, but the potential for the steel shavings to muck up the works in a gun. Brass (and aluminum) will scar without shaving, whereas steel will shave off and those little particles can fall into the wrong places. So that reinforces the recommendation to clean your gun well after each use of any steel cased ammo.

Any bets this reply opens a can of worms?

Last edited: Aug 25, 2012
  7. GlockRenegade

GlockRenegade New Member

Makes sense to me lol just wanted experiences and opinions

8. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

I will agree with you about the aluminum but the steel used to make firearms is not as hard as many believe. Firearms manufacturers are more interested in machinability for production.

9. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

Tulammo is good, cheaP practice ammo that will not harm your weapon in any way.

It's dirty, but you're supposed to clean your weapon anyway, so that really shouldn't matter.

The U.S, manufactured tens of millions of steel cased cartridges during WW2, with no problems whatsoever.

10. kycol

kycol New Member

I shoot the snot out of it and had no problems. Tula make shooting a little more affordable

11. rhyno13

rhyno13 New Member

I have shot tulammo before, although i don't have a problem with that brand, I prefer brass so it can be reloaded.

12. fetep

fetep New Member

^^^^me too!

I have 3 grand in my rifle, I can afford the difference for brass ammo. I realize a large number of folks use it without incident, but I never will.

Fetep

13. Glockpotion23

Glockpotion23 New Member

Never had a problem

I just went to the range today and shot 50 rounds of tulammo through my G23 with zero problems. I have used this ammo frequently and have had no issues. It runs dirty?? I dont care about that because i ballistol all my babies after every range trip. Plus, i havent noticed a difference with the dirty issue from this or any other ammo.

14. 70cuda383

70cuda383 New Member

I'm not worried about it in my firearms, because as mentioned, I clean after every trip to the range anyway, so even if it's cheap, dirty powder or the casing leaves metal in the moving parts, it all gets washed away anyway before it can do any real harm. I've shot just about every different kind of ammo available through my 92FS, and I do not see any abnormal wear on it anywhere. ...and it was a police issue weapon before I bought it, so it was used hard before I got it as well.

But what worries me is long term storage of the ammo. I like to keep a healthy amount of ammo around so I'm not "hand to mouth" on ammo. If I want to go to the range, I'll buy a few hundred rounds, put it away, and shoot some of the oldest ammo I have.

however, to save some money, I have bought the cheaper russian made ammo, but because of that, I've stopped my First in, first out of my ammo inventory, and will use up the steel stuff first.

15. JD1969

JD1969 New Member

Many 7.62x54R rounds have been around probably since before you were born^. They are steel cased and still shoot fine, although the primers are corrosive. Personally I shoot brass in all my hand guns, mainly because I reload, but I shoot whatever I can buy cheapest out of my Mosin.

16. fupuk

fupuk New Member

I shoot brass out of my handguns. But the main long guns i shoot are my Ak and my .22, so i shoot cheap sh!t throught my Ak and .22s are cheap what ever you buy. Compared to centerfire rounds. But i just bought a Mosin a couple weeks ago and i can buy 20 rounds for $3.50 but its old surplus corrosive ammo. But a little windex down the barrel after shooting and it will be good as new. The ammo i bought for my Ak is brass but the primer is corrosive so the cleaning is nothing new to me for corrosive ammo. Its just real cheap to shoot and fun at the same time.