TulAmmo test summary

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by bluez, Nov 11, 2013.

1. bluez

bluez Well-Known Member

This weekend I attended an excellent combat Rifle course at MaxVelocity Tactical in the hills of West Virginia (detailed review coming up soon).[​IMG]

In the course of this weekend, I fired 500 rds of TulAmmo and 60 rds of brass cased thru my LWRC M6A2

To make matter more interesting prior to this weekend I had fired 500 rds of quality ammo w/o cleaning the rifle.

Then I fired 500rds of TulAmmo on the weekend and also my last rounds fired on the weekend were 2 magazines of brass cased.

Observations:
    The Tulammo function flawlessly, had not a single stoppage of any kind despite these 2 factors:
    - The gun wasn't clean to begin with
    - I fired more brass cased ammo <after> ,my steel cased , which is said to be the worst way to do it (since the TulAmmo and other russian steel cased are very dirty ammo the chamber is now too tight for brass according to some..)
    - Still no extraction problems!!!:D

This brings to a total of 3, the AR's I owned and fired hundred of round with TulAmmo and had no problems at al,l not even a single one:
    LWRC M6A2, Delton 416, LMT MRP CQB .

Over the weekend I observed another individual using exclusively steel case ammo (again Tula , which is reputed to be "the worst" of the steel case) on his Delton 316 and he also experienced no stoppagse the entire weekend that I am aware of.
    Also firing approx 500 rds

Just thought I'd share :D

Last edited: Nov 11, 2013
  2. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

No surprise really , I put over 8000 rds thru one uncleaned 5000+ of that was steel cased ammo , Tula , Wolf and Brown Bear . Zero issues . The only time I have had a issue on a firearm was with a non chrome lined 7.62x39 barreled AR upper . I had about 4 stick in the chamber , Did a nice and shiny polish job on the chamber and it fixed my problem . Over 500 rounds of Tula thru it now without any issues

3. ccase39

ccase39 New Member

I dont get all the hate either. Yes they are corrosive and dirty and can eventually damage your rifle if you dont clean it, but if you clean thouroghly it should not be a problem. Because ammo is so high I have fired thousands of rounds (through a Bushmaster of all things) without a problem at all. I will mix steel and brass in same mag too.

4. bluez

bluez Well-Known Member

What kind of rifle were you using?

5. DP03

DP03 New Member

I bought a bunch of .762 TulAmmo after reading that it was one of the higher quality Russian ammos. Sounds from the comments above that that may not be the case. In any event, I have never had a single issue with it in my AK. I'll continue to shoot it as target rounds.

6. bluez

bluez Well-Known Member

DP: I think that among the steel cased russian imports Wolf Military classic has among the better reps

7. DP03

DP03 New Member

OK. So what are the complaints with the Tul? It is listed as non-corrosive and laquer coated steel case. Reliability has been 100% with my AK, so is there any other reason to not use it?

8. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

Factory built PSA 16" carbine

[​IMG]

It has had many changes since the day it arrived
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 11, 2013
  9. bluez

bluez Well-Known Member

Well first off, I been getting to like TulAmmo.
    Also I think for AK's its perfect since it is made by the cmpany who makes the Ammo for Russias Armed Forces.

The complaints about Tula in the AR world centered about the dirtyness of it ( remember ARs are direct impingment so all that dirt coalesces inside ) , the laquer ()which I think isnt really an issue and I belive has been changed) , and the thermal expansion rate of steel cases compared to brass.

All those things affect how Ammo will act in ARs.
    In Aks pretty much all russian ammo works well :)

10. CrazedJava

CrazedJava New Member

Your average range trip the extra grit is not going to be a problem in a well maintained rifle.

I shoot Tulammo in .45 ACP and .223 Rem all the time. Have no issues but yes it takes a little extra elbow grease to clean my guns. Overall though the extra effort is easily outweighed by the lower cost.

I have some of the Tulammo BrassMaxx in 9mm I keep meaning to try.

Overall, no problems with it. Some extractors don't care for steel cased ammo, but nothing I fire has problems with it.

11. Point6liter

Point6liter New Member

I have always been told that along with the dirtiness, what makes it worse than most brass cased stuff is the projectile. Don't quote me on this, but what I have been told is that most brass cased ammo's projectiles are lead core, and a pure copper jacket. And most steel cased ammo's projectiles usually have lead core, and a steel jacket that is copper plated. I am no professional by any means but I could imagine a steel jacketed round with a tiny bit of copper plating is probably alot harder on your barrel over time than a copper jacket lead core. That being said, I still use alot of Tula, and alot of brass. I try to swap out what I use every other time just in case. I read an article earlier this year that was pretty long but it was extremely informative on the subject of the effects of different kinds of steel and brass cased ammo. I will try to dig it up and post it so everyone can read it if they'd like.

12. DP03

DP03 New Member

Thanks. I have a bunch of it and it sounds like it's time to get back to the range!!

13. sputnik1988

sputnik1988 Active Member

I've never shot anything but Tula out of my AR, not one single issue, I did have one bad primer in a 7.62x39 though.

As already stated it's some filthy stuff but I clean after every range trip so it doesn't get too bad.

14. hmh

hmh New Member

The problem with steel cased ammo is it doesn't expand and seal off the chamber. 2 weeks ago I shot 60 rounds of .223 and one box of 7.62 multiple jams with 2 separate ar's and quite a few ftf with the m1. Tula will no longer be shot out of any of my arms. Sorry about multiple of the same pictures but it kept saying they were not attaching.

Attached Files:

15. bluez

bluez Well-Known Member

There is a kernel of truth to this but the test ( linked above) was done with almost lal magdumps.

Both the western and the russian ammo would wear out the barrel about half as fast or less with normal shooting.

And the amount of rounds it takes to wear out a barrel you'd save $2000+ dollars in Ammo cost.

That buys a lot of barrels.
    And with double lapped CHF barrels like all my Ar have i am even less worried about that.

Having said all that still buy western Ammo for my SHTF Cache and my BOB

16. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

I prefer brass ammo (who doesn't?). The vast majority of my ammo is brass cased.

But the Russian stuff has its place. It's cheap and generally performs well in a quality rifle. Filthy...yes, so what? Clean your rifle! Many of these rounds are excellent options for practice, defense, varminting, and even precision shooting. Also makes for nice, affordable prep in terms of the zombie/robot apolcalypse. When the ROBOTS come for your soul, you will value your 50 loaded ready-to-go AR mags, brass-cased or not.

I really like the Silver Bear 62gr .223 HPs. Excellent ammo. Sadly, CTD seems to be the primary seller of this round, and I will no longer deal with them.

17. KG7IL

KG7IL Active Member

I have been happy with it when I (seldom) use it.

Last time was when I was on the road and met up with some folks to go shooting. That's back when walmart had ammo :)

18. bamashooter68

bamashooter68 Member

I shoot Tula in my Mosin Nagant's but never my mini-14 or AR. I just flat out don't want it in either of my 223's but love it in the mosins. Cheap, dirty, inaccurate and unreliable plus I reload so the extra dollar I have to pay for brass cased ammo gives me 20 pieces of brass for my trouble. Enjoy the Tula and if anyone gets a line on some 7.62x544r Tula let me know. Its scarce as crap around here. Probably some mall ninja hoarding it.

19. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

Half of all U.S. military ammo from the 20th century used steel jackets. It's much softer then barrel steel and does no harm. Even in machine guns.:p

If it was harmful to your weapon, I doubt you's see so many experienced, knowledgeable shooters using it.