Tulammo Survey

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by zaitsev44, Oct 20, 2013.

1. zaitsev44

zaitsev44 Active Member

After having two malfunctions in my SKS and having 20 out if 50 rounds failing to extract with my M1 Carbine, I've figured I should take up past experiences of Tulammo. Good or bad. Share your reviews and experiences of Tulammo of any caliber. What are your views of it?

2. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

If your ar will run it without issues you're in good shape.

3. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

4. lbwar15

lbwar15 New Member

well last time I used Tula in my ar I went through a little over 1,000 rounds. I had one primer blow out. Heard it pop when I pulled the trigger. I ejected the round and the primer was gone but the bullet was still there. I threw it away put the mag back in and threw some more lead. Never had another problem. Also used it in my xd .45 never had a problem with it either. The only reason I stopped buying it is bc you can't reload steel.

5. zaitsev44

zaitsev44 Active Member

Yeah I've shot about 125 through my SKS with no problem, just really really dirty. Then Friday I went to the range and the very fire round spilt and sent gas in my face. Then 75 or so rounds later I got a squib and a lot of unburnt powder all over the inside of the rifle.

6. lbwar15

lbwar15 New Member

all steel ammo is dirty. The case doesn't expand the same as brass. So it doesn't seal as good resulting in a lot more blow back.

7. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Of the Russian steel case, the stuff that comes from the Tula factory seems to be some of the worst. It accounted for a lot if the complaints of Wolf ammo (Wolf is an importer, not a manufacturer).
    Ammo made at Barnaul, Ulyanovsk, Vympel, and Novosibirsk plants, seems to be more consistent, and more reliable.

8. zaitsev44

zaitsev44 Active Member

About Wolf, is the WPA stuff worth it? I've found it for $4.99 a box online and it's in stock. They said on their website that Wolf will give a 100% satisfaction guarantee on their ammo and if it doesn't live up to expectations then they'll refund the remaining ammo and shipping. They seem confident. It is steel cased so it'll be dirty, they have brass cased but I can't find any online. It sounds expensive due to brass casing. All the brass cased x39 I've found is $.50+ a round

9. hawkguy

hawkguy Well-Known Member

i don't support russian ammo, just a personal stance.

but a friend i have buys it all the time. he got some tula and it gave his AR fits, probably about one FTF for every 10 rounds.

but he also had some "brown bear" ammo and that ran very well.

10. SSGN_Doc

You would need to check the packaging and see where it is manufactured. Wolf imports from several factories.

The brass am in Wolf's Gold line of ammo is made at the Prvi Partisan plant. Some of their polyformsncr ammo is made at Tula, some of their ammo is made at Ulyanovsk.

11. sputnik1988

sputnik1988 Active Member

I've shot a few hundred rounds of Tula with my SKS, one bad primer.

I've shot 100 rounds of it through my M&P Shield, no malfunctions, 50 rounds through my Beretta 96, no malfunctions.

Several hundred were run through my Sig P226 by the previous owner with no malfunctions and my AR eats the stuff without a hiccup.

I've also run a few rounds of the 308 through my Remington 700 with no issues. I like it for what it is, range ammo. I do keep a healthy stash of it on hand in 223 though.

12. SSGN_Doc

My problems with TulAmmo and Wolf branded ammo from the Tula factory were keyholes on targets and shotgun like patterns as far as accuracy went. A couple fails to fire, one stripped case rim.

13. afe7

afe7 New Member

My usually very reliable sr40c had 2 fte failures my last trip. Spent cases just stayed in the barrel. Still have about 100 of Tula and will use it at the range. Of the many thousands of rounds I have put through this gun.....Tula was the only one to give me a problem. I will still buy it for range use cause it is mostly reliable and cheap.

14. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

Since Tula ammo has become popular I have been using it to break in new guns. The steel case will smooth out machine marks in a hurry. By the time I shoot 100 rounds of steel case ammo the gun runs great with quality brass ammo.

15. improvised_prepper

improvised_prepper New Member

I was having problems with it binding up in the magazine. I was using my CZ75 (double stack) and at the end of the range trip I could only load 10-12 rounds out of 16 before they tried to bind up and get stuck in there. No malfunctions with the ammo once it was chambered though. The rounds were really abrasive to each other, a lot more than I remember from previous buys.

16. Pasquanel

Pasquanel Proud to be an American Supporter

I've fired thousands of rounds and never had a failure, I still have at least four or five thousand rounds its great stuff for practice and goofing around.
    It makes a day at the range more affordable I wouldn't use it for EDC nor is my nightstand gun loaded with it. But in a SHTF situation it would be good barter material.
    Every now and then I like to let a 30 round mag go off the back deck just to let the neighbors know I'm still around :p

17. bige91603

bige91603 New Member

I've put Tulsa and wolf thru both ars and not a single problem. Also put tula thru my glock and rock island 1911 without any failures. I choose to keep it away from my sig scorpion and by brass for my ar when I can