TulAmmo Safe?

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by Tensator, Feb 8, 2013.

1. Tensator

Tensator New Member

With 9mm hard to find, Walmart had some "TulAmmo" steel case in stock today. Pick up the max of 3 boxes question is this stuff safe to shoot in my Lc9 and Glock 17?

2. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

Yes.

TulAmmo is just dirty Russian junk if I remember right. "Dirty" doesn't necessarily harm the gun, just affects its reliability during that shooting session by gunking up the actionable parts.

That particular brand I've found to be no worse than Blazer brass crap.

My LC9 ate up Blazer and spat it out like a champ all day. I won't put that garbage in my guns anymore tho, it's not worth the dollar savings to me.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2013

3. marc29th

marc29th New Member

You'll have no problems shooting all 150 rounds through either. It is a bit dirtier than some US made ammo but you won't notice if you clean your guns regularly.

4. GeneralPatton

GeneralPatton New Member

I personally won't shoot that crap. I bought a box of it in .45 once. In 2 8 round mags in my 1911 I had 12 issues. And this gun didn't have issues. In one 10 round mag in my glock I had 4 failures. That gun had never failed in 10 years. I threw the rest of the box in the trash.

5. firedawg60

firedawg60 New Member

I've never had any major issues with it. Used to shoot it a lot when you could get a box of 50 rounds of .40 for 9 bucks. A little dirty, but not too bad.

6. kytowboater

kytowboater Active Member

I shot 100 rounds 45 acp. I had issues but my gun was sick, poor thing. It choked on Hornady ammo too. It's better now so I'm not sure how it will work. But damn that was some dirty stuff. My AR eats the stuff like candy.

7. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

Yeah baby!

8. lbwar15

lbwar15 New Member

Run it in my AR all the time. I would say I put around 1,000 of it through my AR and 100 through my XD45. I had one primer blow out on my AR with it. Other than that never had a problem.

9. BobbyJoe

BobbyJoe New Member

Run it in my AR and 1911 with no problems. I find it to be cleaner than wwb. lol

10. bigbomar4

bigbomar4 New Member

That was 90% of what I used before this shortage. Now I just use whatever I can find. It is dirty but I like cleaning my guns so that isnt a problem for me. My old LC9 ate is just fine as do all of the guns I currently own. Some guns dont like it tho.

11. GeneralPatton

GeneralPatton New Member

You should watch the video where they tested TulAmmo, Wolf, and brass. The wolf and brass made it to 10,000 round mark. The TulAmmo caused a complete gun failure by 5000+ rounds and couldn't complete the testing. That was using 3 identical guns to.

12. kytowboater

kytowboater Active Member

I did see that. Pretty good comparison of ammo. That's currently my stock. Wpa

13. Pasquanel

Pasquanel Proud to be an American Supporter

I use it all the time to make holes in paper and it works fine! Is it dirty? Yes a bit, but I clean my guns after a range secession so what? Its affordable, seems reasonably accurate and it works well in training exercises, essentially all I ask for. In a SHTF situation I'll take all I can get!

14. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

I've shot it & have more i'll shoot in my 1911 9mm - ;)
    Just clean your gun now 'n then after shooting it--

15. sdiver35

sdiver35 New Member

Same here, no problems at all with Tula in my rifle or pistols. In fact I have quite a bit in the safe right now and I'll shoot it before U dig into my Federal stash.

16. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Doubt anyones worried (i ain't) about shooting 5,000 rds at one outing ;)
    Besides- theres no such thing as 3 identical guns--

17. thdrduck

thdrduck New Member

Folks, dirty is a relative thing. I found a new benchmark...PPU from Serbia. Now that is some nasty stuff, almost like shooting black powder. Was the only thing I could get:(
    If I must deal with that nasty stuff, I think I'll just shoot my New Army.

18. 70cuda383

70cuda383 New Member

the guys who had issues with it in your glocks/1911s...any work done to those guns? I had issues with some brands of ammo that had harder primers after I cut a few coils of the hammer spring in my Beretta. man was that a NICE trigger pull, well polished parts from thousands of rounds fired, and then lightned up with the shorter spring. however, I got tired of occasional mal-functions with hard primer ammo at competitions, so I replaced the hammer spring.

Anyway, I've got TulAmmo in 9mm, .40, .45 and .223 never had any issues with it in any of my semi-autos. no failures of any kind.

is it dirtier than other ammo? not so much that it caused me any problems. WHen I shoot, I go through a few hundred rounds at a time, and always clean my weapons afterwards, so I don't notice if it's dirtier or causing problems.

I have used it in the past, and I will use it again in the future. I'd like to be exclusive and buy nothing but American made, brass and copper rounds, but my wallet votes louder than my pride. for long term storage, I have brass american made ammo in airtight ammo cans with silica gel packs to soak up any moisture. If I buy the steel case russian stuff, it's for the purpose of target shooting, and it will be used before I use any brass case ammo.

19. bartwatkins

bartwatkins Member

I haven't even had any issues with it...
    A bit dirty but really no dirtier than Winchester White Box. Not as accurate (or at least as consistently accurate) as some others but great for range use.
    I have shot Tul 7.62X39 exclusively in my AK - probably 2000+ rounds. Never a problem.

20. kiabe1

kiabe1 New Member

It'll run but dont use it to often unless your willing to replace your extractor