Tula ammo

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by VASH1456, Feb 7, 2012.

1. VASH1456

VASH1456 New Member

Does steel casing ammo (tula .223 ammo) mess up your shell extracter are a AR-15?

2. Quentin

Quentin New Member

No, but extractors are cheap anyway.

3. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

Over along period of time its possible but your talking about a $15 extractor , you will more than save that on your first 200 rounds of ammo . And were talking about thousands and thousands of rounds before it might need an extractor . You will also want to make sure your gun will shoot steel cased ammo , it may be all thats available in a SHTF scenerio and you want your gun to be able to shoot it . I have run roughly 1900 rds of steel cased ammo thru my gun since dec 24th and the extractor still looks like new and functions flawless . Do yourself and favor and save some money unless your gun FTF, FTL or FTE with this ammo . you wont know until you try it .

4. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

Even if your AR won't run Tula as is you can play w/ different weight buffers to get the timing right.

I just finished off some of it and would have purchased more but I had a hard time finding it at that time.

5. VASH1456

VASH1456 New Member

Thanks for the info.... It shoots steel casing just fine. The reason why I was asking this question was because my friend has a AR as well and he told me that it was bad to shoot steel casing out of it. I'm just going to alternate between brass and steel.

6. vmkeith

vmkeith New Member

The only issue I've heard about steel case ammo is about expansion in the chamber. Other than that just try it.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2012
  7. ZombieKiller83

ZombieKiller83 New Member

I've put 500rds of steel cased through mine with zero issues, she runs like a top with that stuff :cool:

8. cfraga1978

cfraga1978 New Member

In the past two months, I have ran 2000 rounds of tula and 500 rounds of federal brass case sometimes in the same magazine. I have zero malfunctions at all and I pull my extractor to inspect it after every range trip. I have not seen any excess wear on my extractor at all. Like others have said its only a $15 fix anyway.