Tula 223

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by dalefan88, Oct 12, 2013.

1. dalefan88

dalefan88 New Member

Was out shooting my ar-15. Was using two boxes of Tula 223 my wife picked up at Walmart. Two rounds out of every box my extractor ripped a chuck out of the ring and then I had to use a cleaning rod to knock them out. Anyone else have this problem with Tula. I know my wife's bt380 don't like Tula either. Think I'm never buying it again.

2. bluez

bluez Well-Known Member

I ran 500 rds of TulAmmo .223 thru my Delton and my LMT MRP CQB and not a single malfunction.

3. Cheever

Cheever New Member

I am of the opinion if I had to pay a significant chunk of change on an AR I think I can spend a few bucks on some respectable ammo.

4. bluez

bluez Well-Known Member

In the end I think it is the ammo thats the real expense.The rifle even an expensive one is cheap compared to the ammo if you shoot a lot.

I would love to have a backyard where I can shoot then i would use cheap stuff.
    The extra wear on barrel would be trivial compared to the money saved on ammo.
    And the extra mal functions would give me training value also..
    For SHTF I would load up on the good stuff only.

As it is because the local ranges allow no bimetal bullets I am stuck running the spendy ammo during training as well :eek:

5. bamashooter68

bamashooter68 Member

I use it in my mosin nagants but not in anything else. I reload for 223 so when I have to pay a couple extra bucks for brass cased ammo Im getting some reloading fodder. Ive heard to much bad about the garbage ammo to use it in my AR or Mini-14.

6. bwraven

bwraven New Member

I have had the same issue with Tula .223.

No problems with Tula 7.62x39, though.

7. dalefan88

dalefan88 New Member

I have ran wolf thru it with no problems. In my area it's hard right now to find 223 brass. So it's either Tula or wolf to buy. I have one box of pmc and one independence in 5.56 brass but I don't want to shot them yet.

8. JayCody

JayCody New Member

Hope this helps.

[ame]http://youtu.be/yacsn9PvCDU[/ame]

9. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

If someone tells you he lit up a cigarette by the gas pump a thousand times and nothing happened, you might still think it's not a good idea. Here is another hint: the government does not buy or order steel cased east european ammo for the military or law enforcement. Even if it did, and you got a service rifle, then fine. But don't force feed your own baby, the one you paid for.

If your AR malfunctions with steel cases, chances are nothing is wrong with the rifle. Don't shoot steel. It is not the barrel issue btw, it is the extractor in some ARs that takes a hit. Even though a broken extractor is not the end of the world, listen to your rifle, stay away from Tula.

10. CaseyChadwell

CaseyChadwell New Member

When I was in basic training in the summer of 2002 at fort lost in the woods, we shot steel cased ammo only. I never shot brass cased ammo the entire training...

11. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

Not russian or ukrainian? The caliber is 100% foreign to those manufacturers, their militaries could not care less.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2013
  12. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Ukraine, Georgia, Romania and some other former Soviet block countries are adopting 5.56 into their armories. The Russian AK12 will have 5.56 as a factory alternative.

You do have a point.
    I'm not sure it really matters where steel case ammo is made what matters is the combination of the steel, the propellant and the coatings. As far as their comparability with the Direct impingement ARs. Hornady uses Russian Steel cases in their training ammo line, but their own projectiles and propellant.

13. sethweese

sethweese New Member

I actually had the exact same thing happen to me a couple weeks ago ! Out of about 80 rounds it only happened once. Granted it was the first time I have fired Tula through it. Also heard the same thing from the old timers at the range "don't shoot steel case" !

14. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

For training purposes I see nothing wrong with steel ammo. I hunt with Brown Bear in my 91/30. I buy ammo that is as accurate as my needs. For $150 I got enough 203 gr SP ammo to last for several years.

15. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

What many fail to consider is the Russian 7.62mm rounds were designd from the ground up as steel cased. There is a pronounced body taper that helps the steel expand to seal off the chamber. A relatively straight bodied case, like the 5.56 X 45 does not have this feature. Steel cases in 5.56 tend to allow more gas to escape, reducing efficiency and increasing fouling.

You can run 87 octane gasoline in a Z-06 Corvette and you might not have any damage to the engine, but why would you risk it?

16. CrazedJava

CrazedJava New Member

I've shot tons of steel cased Tula in .45 ACP without any problems.

I only recently purchased a 5.56mm rifle. A Golani (Galil clone). Again, no problems with steel cased.

I've never had a round fail to fire, extract, or any other issue. IT IS DIRTY!!! I don't mind cleaning my firearms and it does take a some extra elbow grease getting things to where I like them but I don't mind the extra cleaning as opposed to the extra cost.

That said, not all semiautos are built the same and if your firearm is having problems with the ammo, it may not be that the ammo is junk, it may just be ill-suited for your particular gun. I know when I find a brand of ammo that my semiauto .22's don't seem to like (the mother of all finicky autoloaders) I just try to avoid it. Fortunately, I don't have ammo picky weapons but I do notice that seem brands have more issues than others and it is rarely the same brand between weapons.

For the OP, if I was seeing any problems with a particular brand through my rifle, damn right I'd quit using it. Again though, doesn't mean Tula is junk as I've never had a single problem other than the maintenance issue.

17. Argyle_Armoring

Argyle_Armoring New Member

I had a round of Tula do the exact same thing to me a week ago at the range.