Tul Ammo?

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by UrbanNinja, Nov 26, 2011.

1. UrbanNinja

UrbanNinja New Member

I picked up a few boxes of Tul Ammo at Wally world. They were at a decent price and figured id add to the stockpile.

9mm - $9.00/50Rds
    .45 auto - $12.00/50rds
    7.62x39mm -$4.00/20rds

Never used them before but I figured at the price, it was a steal. Anyone ever used this ammo or have any issues with it bad or good?

2. pagj17

pagj17 New Member

My 1911 eats it right up, I'm not sure about my Mosin, but decided to try some of their factory 7.62x54 ammo out, but I noticed one round(of20) is shorter than the rest, and my ar fires it straight, but didn't cycle it(undersized gasport).

3. UrbanNinja

UrbanNinja New Member

I put the 7.62 in my SKS and cycled it by hand just to test my new magazine out.. I had a couple FTF problems but i wont judge it until it is actually fired. I had planned on running the 9mm first to test out with my Hi-point C9 (its a Hi-point, so I figured why not be a guinea pig too?) But i sure as heck didnt want to run it through my Kimber until i was certain. Ive never heard anything bad about it, but on the other hand I hadn't heard too much about it at all.

4. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

I have shot a bunch of Tula in .45acp,9mm Luger, 9 x18 and .380. All of it performed as good as the more expensive American ammo. The two drawbacks, which don't bother me, are: It is not reloadable and it is dirty.

I don't reload, and I clean my firearms after every shooting.

5. Blue1

Blue1 New Member

My Beretta Storm in .45 ACP did not like it, a couple of FTF and FTE out of one hundred rounds.

Blue1

6. UrbanNinja

UrbanNinja New Member

I wouldn't have any problems with that either. I dont reload my ammo and I always clean my guns after every shoot also.

if there is only a couple FTF/FTE of 100rds... I could deal with that. Im not using it for personal protection, just target ammo. But as Chainfire said..it is very dirty. Do you think that may have caused any FTF/FTE problems for you?

7. pagj17

pagj17 New Member

Well I wasn't very happy with the tulammo 762x54, but it wasn't bad, my ar still refuses to cycle it, but will cycle everything else now.
    The 45 was okay in my 1911 though.

8. UrbanNinja

UrbanNinja New Member

Was the .45 dirty like Chainfire had mentioned? Im going to hit the range the weekend with the SKS and try out the 7.62x39.

9. bowserb

bowserb New Member

Tulammo prices are not as good here in Houston Walmart:
    .45 ACP - $14.97 for 50
    9mm - $9.47
    However, the Winchester White Box is still $31.97 for 100rds of .45

I bought a box of the Tulammo just to try out. At that price, I probably won't use it in quantity. $2 per hundred is not enough savings for me to use Russian steel case ammo all the time, especially when my preferred indoor range does not allow steel or aluminum.

I'll report back after shooting this, though.

10. UrbanNinja

UrbanNinja New Member

Thanks for keeping me posted. White box is about the same price here. Unfortunately my Kimber doesn't like it. I had a FTF 1/10. I like to use Blazer Brass .45. No issues whatsoever when using blazer in ANY of my weapons

11. bowserb

bowserb New Member

What Kimber are you shooting? Neither my Colt nor my XDm have had even one failure with WWB FMJ or WWB Personal Protection hollowpoints. They're both pretty new, though (XDM August, Colt October), with about 600 rounds each.

12. UrbanNinja

UrbanNinja New Member

Kimber Custom. Combat carry.

13. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

I bought some of the TulAmmo in .223 monday for $4.97 a box ,Dicks sporting goods matched Wally Words price but DSGs had it on the shelf for $6.99 @ box , Damn glad they matched it I didnt want to have to go back to Walmart

14. UrbanNinja

UrbanNinja New Member

Forgot to mention that i was using JHP.

15. UrbanNinja

UrbanNinja New Member

I have yet to try mine out.. but it seems every time I am in Wally world, I pass the ammunition case and see this cheap little box of ammo staring back at me with a sad look and saying "please take me with you".
    Now ive got 140/rds of 7.62x39, 250/rds of .45 auto. And 200/rds of 9mm.

16. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

Yes those boxes are very eye catching with that black red and yellow on them they stand out and scream take me home. LOL
    I walked outta there with 220 rds of .223 only because they wouldnt let me use the rest of my DSG dollars on that purchase so I have to go back and get another $40 worth , 8 more boxes on them :D atleast I get something back when I spend my $$$ there
    That oughta give me roughly 700+ rounds of .223 on hand . I need to see if they have that in .40 cal after taking ammo inventory last week my .40 cal was just short of 200 rds left on the shelf , Its never enough I tell the wife

Last edited: Dec 8, 2011
  17. SOHCman

SOHCman New Member

I bought one box of .223 and ran it through my AR. No problems, but I did notice a SERIOUS lack of power.
    There is no way those rounds are flying at 3000 fps!
    I use Brown Bear frequently and they have the same recoil as Federal, Remington, etc.
    Tula must be loaded well under the standard charge to get their cost down.
    Won't buy them again, but they might have use where training new shooters, or overpenetration is a concern...

18. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

When I get back out I will take my chronograph out and see what they are doing compared to the federal and remington rounds

19. UrbanNinja

UrbanNinja New Member

Thankfully I dont have to explain buying more ammo to the wife. Most times when she goes food shopping at Wally world, she brings me home a "surprise"... "I seen they had .45 ammo on sale, so I picked up a couple boxes" I love that woman :D

20. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

I ran 20 rnds of Tula 7.62x39 through my mini 30 and 5 did not go bang the 1st time. Went bang the 2nd time. They had a decent strike but they were hard or set deeper or both. I picked up a box of Silver Bear to try.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2011