Tul ammo

Discussion in 'XD Forum' started by tken, Jan 6, 2014.

1. tken

tken New Member

I have a xdm 45 and was curious about tul ammo. From what I have found so far no one had had problems with it but just wanting to hear from people on hear that have used it. Also with it having a steel casing is it will reloading be possible? Thanks in advance!

2. zaitsev44

zaitsev44 Active Member

I haven't had good experience with Tula in .30 carbine and 7.62x39. I've had failure to fires, failure to extract, a squib, and it's VERY dirty. I haven't heard much about their pistol calibers. You can reload steel cased but it's very difficult, especially with it being Berdan primers instead of boxer. If you can find Berdan primers, and know how to remove the old primer, you can do it. You can also remove the anvil on boxer ammo and put it in the primer pocket, and it should fit, but a dab of super glue will secure and waterproof it. All in all it'll just be easier to get some brass casings. Also with reloading steel, it will do more wear on your equipment and it requires a lot of thorough cartridge lubing. Hope this helped, zaitsev.

3. SRK97

SRK97 Well-Known Member Supporter

I have shot it in my .308, at 100 yards it was shooting about 15 inches high.

4. Mercator

Mercator New Member

No problems particular to Tulammo. Western made semiauto extractors are designed to handle brass (or aluminum). East European steel-cased ammo is used "off label" and does okay, mostly. I err on the side of caution. If I run out of brass, I'll choke off my OCD and shoot steel in moderation.

5. nosaj

nosaj New Member

Tula has a line of brass ammo that is boxer primed.
    It's called BrassMaxx and i have seen it in many popular calibers

6. sputnik1988

sputnik1988 Active Member

I've shot a lot of Tula through most of my guns. My SKS, AR, Sig 226 and Beretta 96 love it, my Remington 700 does not do well at all with it.

I highly recommend it. It is filthy though.

7. Mercator

Mercator New Member

The working theory on filthy is that those steel cases don't expand enough to seal the chamber, therefore allowing more powder residue backwards. Do I have proof, no. But that again is not just Tula, it's all of them. BTW Wolf Gold has brass casings, incidentally made in Taiwan. Clean as any.

8. trip286

trip286 New Member

This question comes up a lot.

I've used about 500 rounds or so, I think, in my SA 1911. Maybe around 2K of other calibers in other guns.

Never had a single issue to speak of. My normal range fodder is winchester white box. I've shot most other brands too, except the high end/high dollar self defense ammo, and have found it not really any dirtier than anything else.

However, in rifle calibers, I've found Brown Bear to be absolutely filthy. By far the nastiest I've ever shot.

9. Mercator

Mercator New Member

It makes sense because of the way the AR operates plus the higher pressures.

10. trip286

trip286 New Member

Ya know, I've only ONCE shot a civilian AR. One mag. All my experience with that style of rifle came from M16A2's and A4's in the Marines. I've shot brown bear through a few bolt guns, and it was gross. Their offering in 7.62X54r proves to be dirtier than the milsurp stuff that was manufactured when Moses was a private.

11. subie-jeep

subie-jeep New Member

I've gone through a little over 1k 7.62x.39 , 400+ .45acp, 200+ 9mm/and .380, and not one single issue. Yeah, it's dirty, but if my guns won't run dirty,then i don't want that gun.Way better than any of the "Bear" ammo which had about 1 of 50 with a bad primer.