Trying to Understand Glock

Discussion in 'Glock Forum' started by buckhorn_cortez, May 24, 2012.

1. I have shot Glocks over a number of years, but never owned one. I'm trying to understand the fascination (cult following?) with Glocks as I just don't seem to "get it."

Without resorting to the following hackneyed explanations, can anyone give me a reason or number of reasons people are so invested in Glocks when compared to SIG's, HK's, M&Ps, XDm's, etc?

I don't care to hear any of the following "reasons" - as they're not reasons they're self justifications.

1. "It goes bang everytime I pull the trigger." - totally unremarkable - all of my guns do that without fail.

2. "My Glock only costs $xxx." - don't care, cost for me is not a make or break .

3. "Lots of after market parts." - fine if you want to customize - I'm interested in a bone stock carry gun.

4. "Holds xx number of rounds." - yeah, lots of pistols hold the same amount.

5. "Choice of many police forces." - can point at a number of manufacturers and say the same thing as well as armed forces - e.g. - SEALS use SIGS, etc.

Now, can someone help me understand their fascination with Glocks without resorting to the trite one-liners?

Let me say that I appreciate the robust design and inexpensive throw away level price - but beyond that...??

2. rifleman1

rifleman1 New Member

sounds like you already know you named off all the qualities other the ergonomics are great easy to operate in high stress situations makes for a very good self defense gun.

3. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

How's this? [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bj5Kcs4dzro&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/ame]

4. trip286

trip286 New Member

Trying to understand GLOCK and their fan base is like trying to understand women. Give up for the sake of your sanity.

5. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Yeah just learn to enjoy them. Lol

6. LikeABoss

LikeABoss Member Lifetime Supporter

Exceptionally Engineered and Simple

7. That's the best answer so far....I can relate to that.

8. trip286

trip286 New Member

Exactly. Except I don't have to learn to enjoy a woman. I'm quite enjoying one right now....

9. "Glock buried 2 years"

Don't care - doesn't prove much to me. I don't plan on burying a gun - I plan on shooting it.

10. Not much different than the XDm or FNx that I own. I'm looking for a smaller pistol. So far, the M&P Compact and H&K P2000 are what I've been looking at.

11. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

So the point of this thread would be?

12. rifleman1

rifleman1 New Member

then by all means get those guns or one i dont understand how the question you asked will help your decision in buying a firearm.:confused:

13. Fathead00

Fathead00 New Member

Because it is the 1911

image-3975977523.jpg

Talking. Just look how he started the post!! It's just another 1911 vs. Glock thread.

14. Fathead00

Fathead00 New Member

No one plans to bury a gun. They are showing a different way to prove durability.

15. lyodbraun

lyodbraun New Member

Its like everything else out there some people like Ford some like Chevy, some like Glocks some like H&K, and so on.. its just what you like and what works for you... theres nothing really to get.... IMO but then what do I know....

16. roscoguy

roscoguy New Member

fixed that for ya' ;)

17. Zip50

Zip50 New Member

I have shot Glocks over a number of years, but never owned one. I'm trying to understand the fascination (cult following?) with Glocks as I just don't seem to "get it."

Yep, this should be a 1911 thread. I wasn't aware we had a cult following for Glocks, but the 1911 - of course we do - this is America. I'm not sure what your favorite gun is, but my throw away priced Glock, as you refer to it, will serve the same purpose as any of the high dollar guns that you mentioned in a carry defensive situation.

Last edited: May 24, 2012
  18. trip286

trip286 New Member

It weren't broke!

19. sputnik1988

sputnik1988 Active Member

Im with you, those are the only reasons to buy ANY non-collectible gun.

Why Glock over Sig or HK? Because of the price and overall value and it does in fact go bang every time. I dont have thousands of dollars to blow just because I can. We cant all fill our safes with HK's, FN's and Sig's.

Last edited: May 24, 2012
  20. Fathead00

Fathead00 New Member

I like all kinds of guns!! I've stated that I will own a Ruger SR1911, hopefully soon!!:). Anyways, it just seems that there are alot of 1911 "FANBOYS" in this forum. Like this thread, why even make this thread! He had his answer already before he even posted! If a Glock fan would've started a thread it would be over run by 1911 fans saying this is crap!! You probably can start a thread about "How does grass grow?" and someone will bring up 1911 vs. Glock!!!! I'm just trying to say that both guns are great weapons!! Why all the **** talking? Everybodys hands are different and everybody has different tastes!!!