Trying to Travel from JfK or Newark with a Gun is a nightmare, please help

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by TheNYResistance, Sep 26, 2012.

1. TheNYResistance

TheNYResistance New Member

So I'm going on vacation and want to bring my pistol. I have a New York State permit, but it is not valid in NYC, if I try to declare it at JFK they will arrest me, I called, and port authority confirmed.

Newark is just as bad because nj requires a permit, and my ny permit is not valid, same story.

My thought was to buy one at my destination and keep it there. Thing is, I don't own a vacation home there, so where would you guys store it? Airport locker? Bank saftey deposit box? I think those are expensive.

Ffl one to myself? Any thoughts?

Please don't say "move to a free state".

2. sputnik1988

sputnik1988 Active Member

Buy a Wilson Combat 1911 and take your vacation in Kentucky, I'll hold on to it for you.;)

In all seriousness, I wouldn't buy one and store it...

3. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

1. Fly out of Philly?
    2. Sorry, under Federal law, you can only buy a handgun in your state of residence.
    3. What state are you vacationing in?

4. Vincine

Vincine New Member

Federal Express?

5. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

They will not arrest you. They WILL ask the police to come over. They, in turn, will check your license, check the gun, delay you, yell, make you sweat. Then send you on your flight per Federal law. In NY. Stay away from Jersey -- on a good day they are just mobsters.

6. chuckusaret

chuckusaret Member

Sir, I don't fly thru or even drive thru NJ for any reason because of their gun laws.

7. robertusa123

robertusa123 New Member

nyc and nj will arrest you on the spot if you have a handgun with a 7year minum stay in prison ship you gun ups or fed x with out ammo pickup ammo localy then ship it home chuck the ammo dont forget to check the gun laws where your going
    just call your hotel and let them know you are haveing a package shiped their not un commen with the bull s%$t airline baggage fees cheeper to ship then check on airline
    p.s. airport lockers went away with the doto bird after 9-11

8. PanBaccha

PanBaccha New Member

As an ex-NYer born and raised in the city I will say one thing: They will arrest you on the spot. Period. The process of arrest brings revenue either way you look at it. And you will pay.

9. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

NJ will not automatically arrest you for declaring a properly cased firearm at the airline counter. If you stop for lunch before checking the firearm that's a different story. Keeping within the safe passage transport laws is a challenge in NJ but it can be done...you just need to be careful. But I agree, avoid the hassle if you can.

I am assuming you are "transporting a handgun." If you are saying you want to carry it in the airport then I agree...don't even consider it, you will go to jail.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2012
  10. Doc3402

Doc3402 New Member

I'm addressing "2" in your reply. You can purchase a handgun in any state in the US that will allow the sale to a non-resident. You cannot take delivery. Your purchase must be shipped to an FFL in your state of residence in order to comply with your state laws.

11. gollygee

gollygee New Member

I have heard of folks shipping firearms to themselves in similar situations, but never bothered to learn the details of how to do it. I guess the big issue would be a destination address if you don't have friends or relatives that live there. You might research for an FFL at your destination that will help you out by receiving & holding it for you.

12. Stevtrains

Stevtrains New Member

You will wait for a Port Authority officer to come and look over everything. He'll walk with you to take your bag to TSA. Then when you ask about all the extra steps your going though he'll tell you it's New York State. Then drop his mouth when you tell him about the dozens of times you've flown out of Buffalo and all they had you do was sign the card.

This was in April at LGA.

13. Vincine

Vincine New Member

NYS or NYC?

14. robertusa123

robertusa123 New Member

yea travel thure nj set cruse control 2 mph below speed limit and pay you dont get pulled over they dont give a rats *** about the safe travel laws they will probley drop the charges after you spent a nigh or two in jail. and kiss you gun good buy it will cost you 10 times what its worth to get it back not to menchen getting you car out of the impound lot dont do it

15. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

This is correct (if there is a separate TSA security screen area -- sometimes it just goes on a conveyor belt and disappears behind a wall). Follow the TSA rules and I suggest a steel gun case that tethers to your luggage's frame internally -- hard or soft. Airport workers tried to bang and pry mine open and steal my gun last time I flew through New York.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 27, 2012
  16. Old_Crow

Old_Crow New Member

He can buy the handgun at his destination and have it shipped to his local FFL. His local FFL will do the background check or what ever is required by his state of residence. How do you think online purchases work?