Trying to remember my first rifle.

Discussion in 'Curio & Relic Discussion' started by Solon, Oct 22, 2012.

1. Solon

Solon New Member

When I was 12 in the Sixties, and getting my first deer rifle, my dad bought a very used mil surplus from Big 5 for dirt cheap. It was a laContessora, leContassoura or something similar. It was supposed to be a French Foreign Legion from the early 1900's. Or maybe that was just the model year: 1907 or 1909. It was a 7 or 9mm. with a cartridge the size of a carrot. It was wood all the way to the front sight and looong. We tied it to a tree and pulled the trigger with a rope the first time we fired it, in case it exploded. It had seen some very hard use. I used it a few times before trading up to a .303Enfield MK4.
    Can anyone ID what I'm talking about? Just the right name will get on track.

2. batjka

batjka New Member

Was it a bolt action? Magazine fed? Single shot? Some more info, please.

3. batjka

batjka New Member

The only thing that comes to mind would be a La Coruna Spanish Mauset in 7mm. Hope this helps.

4. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

spanish Mauser.jpg

Spanish Mauser, made in Coruna Spain.

5. LongBaller71

LongBaller71 New Member

My first was a stock loaded Remington Nylon 66 22lr.

6. crazycharlie2

crazycharlie2 New Member

Cartridge the sixe of a carrot:D That cracks me up!

7. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

My first rifle was a Model 1890 Winchester .22, My first deer rifle was a Enfield No4, My first shotgun was a H&R single barrel 20 gauge & I still have all three of them................

8. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

I find this funny and very creative all at the same time. :)

9. Solon

Solon New Member

More info.

I'm a little hazy after nearly fifty years, but it definitely wasn't any variety of Mauser. It was bolt action and I think the magazine was internal. The barrel engravings were in French not Spanish, and some variant of "le Contessura." Big 5 Sporting Goods literally had them by the barrel full for $69.95 or some ridiculously cheap price. I remember the cartridge so well because I was used to the slim 30-06 my dad and uncles used. I think the rear of the case was the size of a quarter, but that just may be the twelve year old thinking. It had flip up rear sights like a ladder. I think it was meant for picking off your target at a 1000yds across the dunes. Ammunition was expensive and hard to find. I doubt I put fifty rounds thru it before I got my .303 Enfield Mk4. It had already been Sportserized with a new stock and scope. I thought it was the best rifle ever made.

10. Solon

Solon New Member

I don't think that's it. Wish you had a top view.

I'm about 95% certain it wasn't a Mauser clone. The wood went almost to the front sight blade. There was no rod below the barrel, or mine was missing when we bought it. I doubt that, because I remember Dad picking and choosing to get the one in the best shape. There was a built in compartment in the buttplate which I think held a cleaning kit at one time.

11. batjka

batjka New Member

This sounds like a Swiss Vetterli. Look one up and see if ee are getting closer.

12. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

Last edited: Oct 22, 2012
  13. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

Swiss Vetterli used .41 Swiss rimfire or 10.8x38 Rimmed.

14. Solon

Solon New Member

Again no luck. I checked Wiki under French rifles and don't

see any name similar. The trigger guard and receiver resemble the Chassepot but the receiver was round, not hex. The thumb part look the same.
    [​IMG]
    Unlike the Mauser there were no flanges or guards around the fold up rear sight. There was no set screw either, it must have depended on spring tension to keep the cross member from moving.
    I wish I could remember more but it's a long time ago. When you are twelve you don't forget someone telling you your first "man's" gun was used by the Foreign Legion. Maybe they were just having fun with a kid.;)

15. Solon

Solon New Member

16. batjka

batjka New Member

What about Gras rifle? Round receiver, big cartridge, sounds right.

17. Solon

Solon New Member

It was a Berthier Mle 1907/16 with five round clip.

Full length, not a carbine. Even the flat front sling mount is the same. This has been quite a trip down memory lane. I learned quite a bit of its history:D