trying to make up my mind

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by doeboy, Feb 2, 2011.

1. doeboy

doeboy New Member

I am thinking about buying myself a bolt action but can't quite decide what make and model to go with. I would like to keep my budget around 500, so that I still have some room for a decent scope and not go over a 1000 total.
    I am also not looking at getting something because it looks pretty, I want something with accuracy and durability.

I have been looking at the x-bolt by browning a little pricy but sounds like a hell of a gun??

The ruger M77 or the Hawkeye? Also like T/C's icon and encore,

Any help or suggestions are welcome. This will be my first bolt action rifle.

2. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

Take a look at Howa and Weatherby's Vanguards (Same rifle). Good shooters at great prices.

Savage is also another one to look at.

3. v757b

v757b New Member

4. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

My X bolt in 308 win is SAWEEEET. Rugers are good guns too, I have a couple of those too, 270 win & 7 mm rem mag.

5. boatme98

boatme98 New Member

Ruger M77 is great. So are Cpttangos recommendation of a Weatherby Vanguard.
    Here in mid Tenn., the Vangaurd can be had for $440.

6. doeboy

doeboy New Member

thanks guys,

7. fixxer

fixxer New Member

You have a caliber or purpose in mind? I would start there. An all-around rifle maybe?

8. Justen.223

Justen.223 New Member

Hey doeboy, how bout jumping over to the intro section and tell us a little about yourself.

Thanks Justen

9. doeboy

doeboy New Member

I was thinking on going with a .300 or something similar. I am gonna be using it to hunt deer and elk. It should compliment my old lever action 3030 pretty well. What are you thinking for an all around rifle?

10. Poink88

Poink88 New Member

^^^ what he said.

11. powg

powg New Member

great bolt gun

the savage or weatherby vanguard in good ol 30-06 .....cant go wrong

12. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Mags shoot flat and shoot hard on both ends. The old reliable, easy to find 30-06 is a very good round, probably one of the best ever designed. Some of the new loads also give them a boost in power without a boost in pressure. Ammo is a lot cheaper to buy which also = more shooting.
    The newer Savage riffles with the accu trigger are very good and very accurate. They wont have the really smooth actions of some of the higher priced guns but are the most accurate out of the box riffles around.
    The Vanguard is a nice rifle but be aware they charge extra for sub MOA. I had a Ruger 77 and had to have the barrel floated to stop vertical stringing. That cost extra.

13. BudW

BudW New Member

Buy a Savage Edge and with the money you save get some nice optics.

14. TGReaper

TGReaper New Member

Hard for me to make a single recommendation as I have Winchester,Tikka,and Ruger. My .300 is a Ruger and has been exceptionally accurate and totally trouble free for the last 10 +years. Due to the conditions I hunt in I shortened the bbl., to 19 in. This rifle gets more than it's share of use compared to the other six.
    Dan

15. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Gotta love those short barrels for accuracy. My 308 has a 20" heavy barrel and weighs in at 7 lbs without the scope. It shoots better than I can any more. My wife had a 19" 243 that would shoot 1 hole groups at 100 yds.

16. dteed4094

dteed4094 New Member

If you want accuracy, go with Savage. If you want "made in USA,go Savage. If you want pretty go with What you like to look at.

17. doeboy

doeboy New Member

Gonna have to go see which one feels the best in my hands.