Firearms Talk banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
You have a steven's tip up model .
It looks like the barrel was shortened,at the breech about a inch.(the reason the name is half missing).
Probably to fix chamber erosion from black powder loads used at the time.
I have one just like it.
The name stamped on top of barrel is not factory, and appears to be a old owners name?

·
Premium Member
G42 G43x P95DC CZ82 Mak CZ70 AR etc.
5,401 Posts
You have a steven's tip up model .
It looks like the barrel was shortened,at the breech about a inch.(the reason the name is half missing).
Probably to fix chamber erosion from black powder loads used at the time.
I have one just like it.
I think tip up also. That rear sight at back of receiver is not normally seen.

·
Premium Member
5,401 Posts
Yes the rear sight appears to be original, hard to tell in photo.
They are very rare and desirable on the tip up models.
Here is what I think he has in an article. Article says fore arm missing on it. Interesting read. Seems
Stevens actually did use the Sharps rear sight even. Seems likely very rare to find one like it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes it has the flip up rear sight that is intact and operational. Only issue is the barrel had been cut for some reason and reattached. Which leads me to the the forearm also was shortened. Her grand father got it from his brother before passing. Has surface rust which I will be gently removing and putting protection on the gun. Her grand father wants to see if it fires. Lol. The operation is all functional just the barrel being shortened is a concern. And sorry for bad pics phone has its issues. A local gun show guy offered him $50 for it.

·
Premium Member
5,401 Posts
Yes it has the flip up rear sight that is intact and operational. Only issue is the barrel had been cut for some reason and reattached. Which leads me to the the forearm also was shortened. Her grand father got it from his brother before passing. Has surface rust which I will be gently removing and putting protection on the gun. Her grand father wants to see if it fires. Lol. The operation is all functional just the barrel being shortened is a concern. And sorry for bad pics phone has its issues. A local gun show guy offered him $50 for it.
Tell him too go SCROOOM himself. :)

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
A local gun show guy offered him $50 for it.
The rear sight is worth at least $150.

Only issue is the barrel had been cut for some reason and reattached.
barrels are at times available on ebay they are not hard to fit.

Her grand father wants to see if it fires. Lol.
As long as the barrel is free of obstructions and has been properly shortened and rechambered it should be good.
Sub sonic .22 's would be a good starting point.
They are a strong heavy built action, that hold up well.
The same frame style was also used in the Stevens tip up 12 gauge shotguns of the day.

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
be gentle while cleaning off the surface rust, the gun was nickle plated originally.
You want to preserve whatever plating is left on the gun.
It can tend to flake off if cleaning a bit too hard.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts