trying to decided on a target rifle for 100-500 yards

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by NewGuy89, Jan 16, 2012.

1. NewGuy89

NewGuy89 New Member

I'm brand new to the site and i would say i am somewhat new to firearms the only rifle i own is a mosin nagant. i live in Ohio and its somewhat hard to find places to shoot further than 200 yards. with my mosin i can shoot a 6 inch circle at 100 yards with iron sights. I want a newer bolt action rifle. I hate things that feel cheap but i don't want to spend thousands of dollars. It seems that the Remington 700p is real nice but i would like some advice from people that know more than me. I don't have my mind set on the 700 but i don't know anything else. i do like heavier guns though. i plan on putting a scope on it but i will get to that once i pick out the rifle. Any suggestions or thoughts on the 700p would be nice and appreciated. thank you

2. vincent

vincent New Member

That's a great question. Stop by the intro thread and say hey when you can. Lots of Mosin fans here, you'll fit right in. I personally can't give you any input, someone will be by shortly to help out I'm sure. Welcome to FTF!!:cool:

3. willfully armed

willfully armed New Member

Savage honestly is the most affordable accuracy.

I bought a 110 30-06 for my brother. With a craptastic 3-9x32 Simmons, I easily had numerous sub moa groups with federal champion 150gr.

I've had 700's and a 710, but they weren't as accurate as the 110's.

4. rugernut

rugernut New Member

The ruger hawkeye rifles are the most reliable bolt action in my opinion theve got the Mauser type extracter but if your looking for realy accurate I would go with savage

5. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

what caliber would you like to shoot? what is your budget to spend on a rifle and scope? what is the intended use for the rifle? hunting or target shooting?

you need to define your goals and expectations as there are many rifles that could meet your needs. the remington M700 is a very good rifle to start with. the savages mentioned are very accurate. then there is the marlin X7 series, the weatherby vanguard, all of these would be fine if on a limited budget. is cost isn't an issue, there are many custom rifles from such as, Montana Rifle, Ed Brown, Jarrett's, Kimber, ect., ect. and you could always have a rifle built, from the ground up. custom barrel and action, custom stock in wood or synthetic.

just a word of advise on finding what you are looking for, decide what want to use the rifle for. yes a hunting rifle can be used for target shooting and vice versa, but if looking for a specific use, go in that direction in caliber and configuration.

6. CplEllenbogen

CplEllenbogen New Member

For target shooting at tgat range, caliber wise, I would recommend either a .223 or a 25-06. Both are larger and reach farther than a more traditional .22 or .22 mag, and won't cost near as much as larger calibers.

7. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

223 is a good choice of caliber and so is the 25-06, both are decent on recoil. the 223 is by far, one of the cheaper centerfire calibers to shoot. the 25-06 ammo can be pricey as they generally run about $25-40 a box for 20 rounds. this is why i reload for my 25-06. i pay about $7-9 a box for my 223 ammo, but i buy quite a lot at a time, and my gun dealer lets me have it for case price if i buy at least 10 boxes at a time.

8. NewGuy89

NewGuy89 New Member

i would like it mainly to target shoot but would like to be able to hunt with it if i want. i was thinking the .308 my budget for the gun is like 1000 and the scope like 500 for now. i have never bought a scope so i do not know the cost of them. sorry for lack of details before. i would be completely fine with a .223 if it is better for cost as long as it still does the job.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2012
  9. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

You have lots of options in that price range.

A Ruger, Remington, Browning, Tika, among others is within your reach.

10. Vincine

Vincine New Member

Just reading the bold, smallish game only.

11. CplEllenbogen

CplEllenbogen New Member

With either calibers, you could hunt small-medium game. I've used a 25-06 for white tail, and my single shot .223 is great for coyotes. Theyre both great rounds, and are great stepping stones to larger calibers if you ever feel like getting something that really goes boom. I'm not the one to ask about scopes, though.

12. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

You already have a Mosin! Get out there and practice! 100-500 aint nothin' for the 7.62x54..... ;)

13. NewGuy89

NewGuy89 New Member

i do love my mosin but i have heard it is somewhat pricey to put a scope on it and i really love the traditional iron sights on it. i want to keep it original but i dont want to shell out the money for one of the original scoped versions

14. BikerRN

BikerRN New Member

Since it looks like you have about $1500 to play with I'd opt for a Winchester Model 70 in a Featherweight version and a decent quality scope like a Minox ZA5 3-15x42. That should be well within your price range.

As for caliber, I'd opt for the 25-06 if I had any desire to maybe hunt deer sized game. The 25-06 is a good deer/antelope caliber and even works on 'yotes. It will do better in my opinion at longer distances than the .223 at the range too.

As for the cost of ammo, I suggest learning to reload. Even if you don't reload now, save your brass. You may start reloading someday or meet someone that loads and you can trade brass for already loaded rounds. You should have enough left over from your $1500 to buy a "Starter Kit" for reloading with a Single Stage press.

15. chewchew

chewchew New Member

Read the ballistics on the 220 swift. I've been shooting 500 yds for 20 years in groups of 1.5 ". I've killed Coyotes at over 600 yds, crows at 200 yards.
    My weapon is an old Remington 700 heavy barrel sendaro with a Kahles scope.
    I've done a few modifications on it over the years, but nothing expensive. I had a Nikon 24 power scope years ago and it was ok until it got broken by neglect. My scope on my deer hunting BLR Browning 308 is an old Redfield widefield and it is still a very accurate and dependable scope.

16. cottontop

cottontop Guest

What about something right between the .223 and .25-06? The .243 win., .250 Savage, and .257 Roberts would all be good. If you are not going to hand load, the .243 would be a better choice.
    cottontop

17. rockywyo

rockywyo New Member

I like the 308. Ammo is cheaper than most rounds of a smaller caliber. If u reload, there is a huge selection of bullets. U can hunt deer and even larger game like elk. U can move well past 500 yards when u get to that point. Very accurate round. Theres a lot of people out there that shoot small groups with a 308. Recoil isn't too bad. As for scopes, spend as much as u would on your rifle. $1000 gun, $1000 scope. It might take you longer to save but it would be well worth your time. Nightforce makes a great scope, you can't go wrong with a Leopold mark 4. If u buy cheap you'll just buy again.

18. divarty

divarty New Member

First thing is figure out what you want to do with it. Then select the caliber of the barrel for said purpose. Then choose the firearm. Ruger, Savage, Browning, Remington all make great rifles for 500-900 dollars depending on what you want and how you want it to look. I personally have a Savage 10 LA in .270 Win. with a thumb hole stock, as well as a Browning X-bolt in the same caliber. I have been able to go to the local range where I live and can consistently hit at 600 yards with both.

19. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

20. chewchew

chewchew New Member

Question for Mr. Jpattersonnh.
    Where did you get the ...Freedom is not free, the best always leave too soon.
    After giving it a little thought, that in very true and I bet the person that though it up has seen some bad $hit at one time in his life.
    To me it is a dying shame but never the less it is true.
    We are sooo lucky to be able to grow up and enjoy the things some young men didn't have the chance to do.