trying to decide between these 2 1911s

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by icallshotgun88, Aug 22, 2013.

1. icallshotgun88

icallshotgun88 New Member

2. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

3. glocknloaded

glocknloaded New Member

I'd figure the Kimber would be much more.

Sig comes with a better warranty but Kimber makes a nice 1911.

Hard one.. I'd probably pick the Kimber

4. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

Since you asked, I would go with the Sig. Sig is among the top firearms makers for quality and value in the world. My 938 is an excellent little pistol.

But if the Kimber trips your trigger, go for it.

As Axxe said, check the warranties.

5. fa35jsf

fa35jsf New Member

I have a Kimber and love it. The Kimber has a longer/more extended thumb safety which is nice for quick positive safety disengagement many times at the range. IMO an external extractor is not true 1911 design but then again I guess there are quite a few things on both guns that aren't true to their roots. Both companies IMO are great as I have pistols in both brands and have never had any problems.

6. steadyshot

steadyshot New Member

I like the Sig. I have no problem with an external extractor on a 1911.

JMB's original prototype design used an external extractor, however the U.S. Military requested he change it.

7. ctshooter

ctshooter New Member

8. readygirl

readygirl New Member

I like the Kimber.....:)

9. SSGSF

SSGSF New Member

If canebrake was here he would say get the kimber , cause a 1911 does not have an external ejector like the sig does.

10. JW357

JW357 New Member

I'm certainly no 1911 aficionado, and I've never owned a pistol from either company. But when I'm deciding on a handgun nowadays, I always think about the warranty. A gun without a lifetime warranty is never an option for me, because regardless of how good a gun starts, it doesn't always remain that way. Anything mechanical can fail, and I tend to think it WILL fail.

That being said, the Kimber only offers a one year warranty, while Sig offers a lifetime, limited warranty.

I'm not clear on the specifics of what each covers. But one year vs lifetime is a pretty big difference.

Also I've heard Kimber 1911s are pretty hit or miss, and might only come with one magazine. For a gun that expensive, I want at least two mags in the box.

https://www.sigsauer.com/CustomerService/WarrantyInformation.aspx
    http://www.kimberamerica.com/warranty

11. Axxe55

Canebrake would recommend a Colt!:p

he's not too hot over the short warranty of the Kimber.

i too have a hard time with spending that amount of money to only get a one year warranty period. but in all fairness, Kimber does buildsome very nice looking 1911's.

the Sig is had to beat too, because of the reputation that have for building quality firearms.

12. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

I'd go with the Sig based on their quality and warranty.

13. SSGSF

SSGSF New Member

Yes he would recommend a colt. But he also just likes 1911. He even owns a R1

14. ncampbell

ncampbell New Member

I would go with Kimber. Its hard to screw up the 1911 in the first place, but Kimbers are top-notch.

15. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Personally, I would not go for either.

16. Olympus

Olympus New Member

The Scorpion comes with a threaded barrel. My brother has one and it's a great gun. Don't have any experience with the Kimber.

17. icallshotgun88

icallshotgun88 New Member

Okay. So I've given this a lot of thought....

And I think I'm just going to go with a GLOCK!!

Haha. Just kidding.
    Local gun shops have both of these 1911s, but I really like that marine Colt as well, I've just never seen it around here..

I'm gong to keep an eye out for that colt but if I can't find it ill probably pick up the Sig. Thanks for the help y'all!

18. Axxe55

i know! i have one very similiar to his!:D

i have the R1 Enhanced model. very nice pistol, and since i bought mine, they now offer the Enhanced model in stainless steel.

19. SSGSF

SSGSF New Member

Aren't they such a nice gun? I love mine

20. Axxe55

yes they are a nice pistols. i like mine quite a bit. now when i bought mine, if they had offered the Enhanced in the stainless steel version like they do now, i'd have been all over that pistol! that's part of the reason i want to add the the Ruger SR1911 to my collection. but that S/S R1 Enhanced looks pretty sweet too.

so far i have been very pleased with my R1. very reliable, well made and solid, very accurate and just a dang nice shooting pistol. comapred to a Colt, the finish is nicely done, but not near as polished and as deep looking as a Colt. IMO, Remington did a fine job is bringing the R1 to the market of 1911's.