Trying for universal reciprocity laws

Discussion in 'Legal and Activism' started by wittmeba, Jan 16, 2014.

1. wittmeba

wittmeba New Member

2. robertusa123

robertusa123 New Member

why waste the time and money if congress passes it, theirs a snow balls chance in hell it will make it pass the senate and no way in hell oboma will sing it into law

3. JW357

JW357 New Member

They've tried so many times in the past.

I'll not hold onto hope until both houses are controlled by right-leaning people. Probably a president too.

4. Balota

Balota ... but I used to play keyboards. Staff Member

The purpose is to keep the issue open. Besides, if we keep them talking about this issue, there's that much less time for them to produce a bigger raft load of BS laws.

5. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

The anti-gun crowd will not let up. They keep bringing up the same laws that fail. But they never give up. We must not either.

6. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

The Blue states and cities would keep this tied up in court for ever. It would make more sense to create a more uniform and protected right of passage and safe travel. The Interstate Commerce Clause is violated every day in states with arcane firearms regulations. Gun owners who are engaged in a "Peaceful Journey" should not have their rights denied because they cross an imaginary line. :eek::(

7. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

But the courts would be considering something that favors gun owners instead of the BS shooting out of NY and CA.

Edit: The official title of the bill is S. 1908: The Concealed Carry Reciprocity Act. The newspaper article has the bill title wrong. I just looked it up on www.popvox.com.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2014
  8. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

It's a nice thought but in the end it comes down to the states and it won't happen. Nh tried to get it going with ma a few years ago. Massachusetts refused in the end and all that happened is Nh quadrupled the price of their non-resident licenses as a screw you. I would have preferred they didn't try and I'd only have to pay $25 for a license.

better judged by twelve than carried by six.

9. FernandoTheCommando

FernandoTheCommando New Member

True and that stunk a lot considering I'm from Rhode island. I have a Utah permit.I used to be able to carry in nh, but last July they changed the law. Now you have to have a permit in your state of residence if you want a nh permit. Seeing as I live in Rhode island, that will never happen. They make it impossible to get a ccw permit in my state. I wonder what the rules for obtaining a universal permit would be.

10. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

Retired Federal officers have a universal right to carry. They must go to a law enforcement range each year. In order to get the CCW approved they must pass all shooting qualifications. I personally am not in favor of a universal permitting system. This will remove CCW from the state control and place the Federal government rules over all firearms in Interstate Commerce. Federal Officers are under more restrictions than American civilians. :(

11. FernandoTheCommando

I would t mind having to qualify every year if we had a universal ccw. It's easy to oppose it if you live in a state where you can have one. I live in the north east tri state area which is very liberal. My state is filled with democrats and I can't see our small repuclican population being able to ever win vote to change our carry laws. This area is just getting worse but there aren't enough like minded people to stand up for our gun rights. Every day I think about how I can find an excuse to move or find another job in a more gun friendly state.

12. FernandoTheCommando

Are they though? Which American citizens are their rights more restricted than? My state will not issue anyone a permit unless you prove you "need" it. Self defense is not a good enough excuse for our attorney general. You either need to be a business owner, transport large sums of money daily, or be in constant fear of your life aka some kind of informant. Even after you have a valid excuse, there are mutliple interviews you have to go through and they could still deny you. They are even denying renewals for people who have had them for years. It's insane.

13. JW357

JW357 New Member

I would be in favor of the Federal govt saying "if you a permit in your home state, it will be valid in every state without exception"

That's not a federally controlled permit. It is simply across the board reciprocity.

That sounds a lot like Kalifornia. Sorry dude. I'm sorry your state sucks so bad.

14. FernandoTheCommando

Tell me about it man. I know a lot of ma, ct, and ri guys would support universal, seeing as its near impossible to get one here. The only thing "good" about ri, is that they haven't restricted what types of firearms we could own. There's no assault weapons ban, magazine capacity, or trigger pull restriction like mass or ct......yet. plus, as it stands right now, we have no "duty to retreat" if someone breaks into your house at night. I fear it will only get worse though unless the few good guys we have in our state stand up. We just had an attempted recall on some politicians in a town near me because they tried to restrict town carry permits. It didn't work. The democrats won that one. Seeing as ri is so small, I see no point in getting a town carry permit. I drive two minutes to the grocery store the next town over, and my permit would be useless.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2014
  15. wittmeba

wittmeba New Member

This would be so ideal - it would be nice if the state govt's would agree. Simple to understand and save everyone the money, paperwork and grief of having to look up every states laws as you move across a state line.

16. JW357

JW357 New Member

Fernando -

A TOWN carry permit???

17. alsaqr

alsaqr Well-Known Member Supporter

Hell, no!!!!!!

Yep, you would allow the feds to get involved in concealed carry. Yep, the same congress critters who tried to gut our gun rights last year could change the law to require 80 hours of training, a mental evaluation, a stool and urine sample and a physical exam in order to get a CCW. No way!!!!

18. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

People in the Blue states are wanting some one to protect their rights. They should be marching protesting and raising hell. Instead they want to trust the Federal Government to manage concealed carry in America. Trusting the Government is how they became Blue states. :rolleyes:

19. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

I imagine a lot of Californians would apply for out of state permits from Utah. Then they could force California to recognize them. I would support reciprocity. My Colorado permit is good in something like 28 states. Why not 50?

20. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

Why do you have to have a "Permit"? Why not declare all CCWs as illegal? Why plead for more government control? And you wonder why your rights are limited? It would be better to simply preserve the right to own and carry to all Americans. :confused: