true or false....

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by bobski, May 17, 2013.

1. bobski

bobski Well-Known Member Sponsor

i gotta bet going...

t/f: if your engine is already smoking, its too late for stp.

2. dango

dango Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

If it's something like valve guide , might not be to late..?

Is it smoking on excelloration or deceleration..? One would be bottom end and other would be top end , both would be (run it till it dies)..!

Last edited: May 17, 2013

3. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

Is it too late for nicorette? :)

4. towboater

towboater Active Member

I'd guess that STP ain't gonna do any good.

5. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

You don`t put a Band-Aid on a broken leg................

6. chuckusaret

chuckusaret Member

My son drove his 2004 work truck for four years on average of about 150 miles per day with a engine knock and smoke. This was after a master mechanic stated the rear main crank bearing and valve guides were bad. The engine finally died with about 400K miles on it. The truck lives on with a Jasper engine.

7. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

I really see that stuff in a bottle as maybe buying some time and even then I've not had too much luck with results with stuff like Motor Honey/Motor Medic type stuff. I think it also it might cause troubles getting the stuff back out once you do go to really fix the problem.

I'd much rather to just fix the motor to start with. The longer stuff like that is allowed to go on the more expensive it gets on you.

Back in my teen POS car years I did try many of those things. trying to squeeze a little more out of an engine that needed some TLC. I tended ot replace cars much more often then also.

I ask a lot of my vehicles so I try to keep up on everything to start with. Fixing something not so big early is a lot less expensive then if I wait and try to use some quick fix. I pretty much drive the wheels off a vehicle as I am not in th best place to replace one if something bad happens. My 9 Jeep is well over 200K miles and still runs like new (almost) because I wont allow smaller problems to get bigger. My 130K 98 Explorer does run like new for the same reason.

8. hairbear1

hairbear1 Member

If it's smoking then it's a fair bet it's on it's last legs.
    If it's blue smoke then it's either rings, valve stem oil seals or worn valve guides.
    What sort of oil consumption is it doing?

If it's black smoke then your fuel system as in carby or fuel injection system needs attention.

Pulling the spark plugs will soon tell you what cylinders are causing grief.

9. deadsp0t

deadsp0t New Member

I wouldn't put STP anything in my engine.. Nothing but bad exp.. User beware..

10. hairbear1

hairbear1 Member

When I was a mechanic I used to put STP around the camshaft lobes, cam bearings, mains and big end bearings and in the oil pump of any new engine I rebuilt because the stuff was so sticky that it'd protect them from the initial fire up and the tight clearances that are there.

I'd take the car out and run it in initially and then tell the customer to drive it and vary the speed and not to lug the engine.

I'd tell the customer to come back after a week and then I'd drop the oil and oil filter and tell them to go drive the car like you stole it only way to run an engine in nothing worse than pampering a new engine it just kills them as the rings won't seat out the cylinder walls properly and may glaze the bores.

11. bobski

smokes blue on idle. very faint.
    never did....but his truck sat for 5 years unstarted. now it smokes.

12. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

How long has it been running again? It might be an issue that will work itself out ..at least some...

13. bobski

im thinking its a rust ring in the cyl from sitting or left over marvel mystey oil. when i ran it around the block for him, it was fine. but when it sits a week, when it starts and runs for 5 mins, it smokes.
    sad part is it was rebuilt 3000 miles ago. this an old truck. 3 on tree clutch in line 6. it really does purr otherwise.

Last edited: May 18, 2013
  14. hairbear1

hairbear1 Member

It may need a good hard run or the other thing is the valve stem oil seals may have hardened and now won't seal properly. I would be still looking to take it for a couple of long runs and change the oil and filter and just keep an eye on the oil level and the smoke coming out of the exhaust.

15. willshoum

willshoum New Member

Try this, They sell a product that you add to the oil in order to flush and break down the sludge in the engine. Run the engine as per instructions. Drain while oil is still warm. Next, purchase that can of oil that takes 24 hrs to pour out of the can, its thicker than honey on a cold day, then add your recomended oil. I did this to my old 140 HC tractor and it quit smoking. ;)

16. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

17. dango

dango Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

True that...! Glazed and blue-ish black-oil..!
    Black satiny , too rich fuel..!
    Grey, lean , too air , not enough fuel ,, !injectors or carb..!

18. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

U do if you aren't gonna fix, and may be selling, the horse.

19. readygirl

readygirl New Member

Since it sat for a long time, bad valve guides. Not going to hurt anything to drive it like that, just keep an eye on the oil level.

20. rockratt

rockratt Active Member Lifetime Supporter

If you are thinking STP will fix it yes!! But if you just want to unload it on someone else??