True or false

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by wiliardo123, Feb 27, 2012.

1. wiliardo123

wiliardo123 New Member

Is it true that cleaning the barrel HAS to be from the back to the muzzle and if true does it apply on Hand guns too ?

2. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

I try to follow that though I don't know if it's necessary. Except I can't do it on my revolver due to the physical configuration of the gun. You can't enter the barrel from the back where the bullet enters. The frame of the gun is in the way.

3. Muliemaster

Muliemaster New Member

Thats the best way, u wont ruin a good crown doin it that way, also dont push the brush all the way out of the barrel, just enough to expose about half

4. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

No, it certainly does not "have to". The idea of cleaning from the chamber is to prevent damaging the crown with a cleaning rod. You can see what a dinged-up crown does to the accuracy of a rifle if you shoot a bunch of surplus guns, especially Mosins. Using a proper cleaning rod and method can reduce the possibility of damage of cleaning from the muzzle, but it is best if it can be done the other way.

Pistols are not so much of an issue, because when you field strip, it is just as convenient one way as the other, so clean from the chamber end. Some revolvers just about have to be cleaned from the muzzle so be careful with the crown.

5. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Anyone familiar with metal finishing will tell you to go only in the direction that the bullet travels. Never back and forth.

Anyone here ever finish a crankshaft or ground a cam? Its always done in the direction of rotation. Metal tends to "lay down" in the direction of travel during finishing.

Going in the opposite direction introduces a disruption in this "lay" and increases the coefficient of friction.

Will this harm your gun's rifling? Probably not in your rimfire. But what about that 200 yard trophy buck shot? Why take a chance?

6. winds-of-change

When I clean my guns I use a 'guide' on the crown to keep the cleaning rod from bumping around on the crown.

7. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Does not have to be- I have semi-auto rifles you would play hell doing that with. It IS better to go with the flow, and you are also pulling crud OUT instead of pushing it back in.

Besides the crown of the muzzle, over a period of time you can wear the rifling at the muzzle from a rod rubbing it if not centered.

But consider that every M1 Garand, M-1 Carbine, and M14 rifle out there got cleaned from the muzzle.

8. Greg_E

Greg_E New Member

Buy an Otis cleaning kit and you can fish the vinyl coated wire through the breech to the muzzle and throw the hard rods in the trash! If you are spending money on a good match grade barrel then treat it right. I quiver watching some people clean their weapons and wouldn't even want them to look at mine. I have seen people scrubbing their barrels like they are plunging toilets and it doesn't take that much effort even when cleaning a muzzle loader. Please, play nice...

9. wiliardo123

wiliardo123 New Member

Yeah
    I find that very helpful.
    The reason why because I use the same hand gun rod that isn't long enough I just switch the brushes.
    For now i use the bore snake.

10. trip286

trip286 New Member

Here's what I think on this, and it goes along with what Cane pointed out.
    I shave with a straight razor, and I'll tell you that the quickest way to take one step forward and two steps back while sharpening a straight is to reverse the honing direction. Every time you reverse the honing direction on a razor, you'll need to take at least 5 strokes in the forward direction to correct the edge.

The bullet goes from breech to muzzle, and therefor, so does my bore brush. Revolvers were mentioned earlier. I still went breech to muzzle, I'd stick the cleaning rod in, screw on the brush, and pull it out. Yes, it was a hassle, and to some folks it may not be worth it. But many people don't bother with a straight razor either.

Bore snakes are also a good option for those guns that make it difficult to clean breech to muzzle.

11. The_Kid

The_Kid New Member

Here is my S&W 686 357mag's crown. I clean it from the muzzle bumping the brass rod into the crown on every stroke; I've been doing it that way for 3 years... the brush travels in both directions on it.
    [​IMG]

This video shows the last group taken with it.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALTyvJe7Rlo"]357 Magnum, 180 gr HP-XTP, 100 Yards[/ame]

Here is the muzzle of my Winchester 94. I also clean it from the muzzle, have been doing it that way for 30 years... the brush only travels to the throat.
    [​IMG]

Here is the last group I've taken with it.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGn77OFdnQ4"]30-30 Audette Ladder Test[/ame]

Here is the latest pictures taken of the throat and such.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 27, 2012
  12. Bigcountry02

Bigcountry02 Coffee! If your not shaking, you need another cup Supporter

I have a cleaning rod that is flexible that allows you to clean the barrel from the back. It is made by Pro-Shot:

http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm?contentID=productDetail&prodID=PXCH1&src=tpMfg

Otis 22 to 45 Caliber Pistol Cleaning System

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/412497/otis-22-to-45-caliber-pistol-cleaning-system

13. winds-of-change

14. Bigcountry02

Bigcountry02 Coffee! If your not shaking, you need another cup Supporter

I have been running a plastic tip, instead the brass. I need to pickup another tip. The plastic tip broken (wear related). I did pick a bore snake for 9mm/38 Special/.357 which works very good.

15. wiliardo123

wiliardo123 New Member

The sig sp2022 is always shooting low will that be the sig or me ????

16. TLuker

TLuker New Member

I think almost everyone will agree that not cleaning a barrel affects accuracy, but that is probably the only thing that most will agree on. The actual process of cleaning a barrel is very subjective and everyone has their only beliefs as to what works best. Personally, I'm a fanatic about keeping my barrels clean, but I don't think it matters which direction you clean from. I've had too many guns that shot great groups and were always cleaned from the muzzle. I've never done a study to find out for sure but I doubt most others have either. Benchrest shooters do clean from the breach so it could help, but I doubt seriously any of us would ever notice the difference. I've had guns that would shoot 1/2" groups all day at 100yards after being cleaned from the muzzle. It is possible that cleaning from the breach could have made that group .45" instead of .5", but would it really matter? How many of us even measure our groups close enough that we would even know if the group size changed from .5 to .45? And that is just a hypothetical maybe, I don't really think it would matter.

I hope no one takes this the wrong way, but if anyone in favor of cleaning from the breach can prove that it makes a difference please post it. I mean that sincerely. I'll change the way I clean my bolt action rifles if it truly helps, but so far I've never seen to where it made any difference.

17. The_Kid

The_Kid New Member

I'll agree; but I know of many that may not... it depends on how you present the case.

When I got my US Model of 1917 the bore looked nice and shiny; but after cleaning the polished copper form the bore it looked like this.
    [​IMG]
    That condition is from what I assume was not cleaning the bore after shooting corrosive ammo. The first condition, the heavily copper fouled bore, was from not cleaning for copper fouling... maybe not cleaning at all?

But just so you know, that barrel regularly shoots sub-moa....
    [​IMG]
    ...and isn't quite as rough now, due to a period of a vigilant cleaning regiment.
    [​IMG]

I'll go further by adding; "improper" cleaning, may not be conducive to accuracy.

With my Win_94, I know the carbon ring in the throat was caused by my improper cleaning method.
    [​IMG]
    That is what it looked like after I completely eliminated the carbon ring; that is where the bore was not worn; bullets weren't making contact with the steel in that area. Believing some of the "gun experts" at one time; I was convinced that cleaning solvent and patches were all that was necessary to get the bore spotless... I and they were wrong.

The pics in my previous post are of this same throat/bore after a period of a vigilant cleaning regiment; as with the 1917 bore.

I clean from the breach of all my bolt actions now. Mainly so I don't get copper solvent in the recesses of my locking lugs. That could cause a dangerous situation if the surfaces corrode eliminating the perfect fit it already has.
    I still clean those areas anyway, but if I don't cause more solvent to be deposited there, I feel a whole lot better.

I'm not trying to change your mind, that is just the way I see it. I cleaned my bolt actions from the muzzle for over 30 years, and am not aware of any damage caused from doing so.

18. beaglesam

beaglesam Active Member

Use a bore snake.

19. winds-of-change

Well, I did buy a bore snake but I've not used it yet. It doesn't seem like it has enough scrubbing power to clean properly. And how do you clean the bore snake after you use it? Do you just throw it in the washing machine? :confused:

20. wiliardo123

wiliardo123 New Member

You can wash it with regular water.

As much as I know you don't need to scrub , run it 4 times or so to ensure maximum cleanliness.

I have always stripped and cleaned all my guns after every shooting session. Pain in the butt but pays back on the long run.

Fired over 1500 rounds with the 22 rifle and over 1000 rounds with the .40 with not a single misfire !!!!!!