True Grit

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by JonM, Dec 17, 2010.

1. JonM

JonM Moderator

normally i dont care for westerns with the exception of the old spaghetti western Sergio Leone clint eastwood movies. but im really wanting to see the remake of true grit. cant stand john wayne and yes im from texas. it just looks bad ***

2. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

I am wanting to see it but I'm saddened to a point that these high paid brainiacs can't think of anything but remade movies. I hear the Broadway show Spiderman has been bumped back...again!
    ..Spiderman..On Broadway...With a multimillion dollar score from Bono and the Edge.

3. LONGHAIR

LONGHAIR New Member

Going to see this tomorrow X-MAS DAY..Hope its as good as the original...Well see..The (DUKE)...is the MAN...

4. mach1337

mach1337 New Member

If my dad heard you say that you would instantly be kicked out of the house. John Wayne is the man where do you think Sergio Leone and Clint got there insperation from.

Now im excited about this movie but have a feeling that it wont live up to the Duke's standard. Then again i could be wrong it might be totally bad ***!

5. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

:eek: :eek: :eek: Blasphemy! :eek:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrqlP6hzofE&feature=related"]YouTube - But Pilgrim...![/ame]

6. Bigdog57

Bigdog57 New Member

I have been impressed with Bridge's work - he has much more 'range' than Duke Wayne ever did, though John Wayne had a tanker load of 'presence'. Problem is, he only ever played ONE part - JOHN WAYNE. Just different outfits and scripts.
    I usually do not care for 'remakes' either, but will watch this one and judge it on it's own merits. The trailer scenes look good. Supposed to be somewhat 'grittier' than the original.

And.... don't think I don't like The Duke - I do collect his movies - he is THE iconic Cowboy actor! :)

7. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

I saw it the other night. Pretty good. It sounds like everyone needs to spit. The girl nailed her part.

8. billdeserthills

billdeserthills New Member

I keep hearing a saying in the commercial about a "One-Eyed Fat Man" I don't see any fat men in the commercial tho...??

9. LONGHAIR

LONGHAIR New Member

I saw this movie with a open mind...Matt Damon and Jeff Bridges are all great in this picture. 1969 was 1969...This is 2010 or whats left of it...I say two thumbs up,what the h#ll...Go see it.....

10. lonyaeger

lonyaeger Active Member

Just got back from seeing it. It was good, but I guess I was expecting more. I agree with Robo that the girl nailed her part.

11. Shihan

Shihan Active Member Lifetime Supporter

I have trouble seeing this guy
    [​IMG]
    Play a role belonging to this guy
    [​IMG]

12. Murfdog

Murfdog New Member

open mind

I will go see it but there was only 1 JOHN WAYNE he may not have been the best actor but no one will ever be better at being a real man on or off the screen.Yea I like the DUKE!

MURFDOG

13. 2hot2handle

2hot2handle New Member

Went to see this movie tonight with low expectations and WOW :eek: was I surprised. I, like others I'm sure, went to the theater thinking that there was no way anyone else could pull off a movie the Duke won an award for and man was I floored. It was d@mn good if you ask me. The girl was excellent, much better than the original and completely nailed her part. Bridges was something else, if you ask me I'd say what he did with the role was perfect. He didn't try and mimic John he made the roll his own. His performance along with some great humor thrown in make this film an A for me. Great movie and I have to tell all the die hard Duke fans like myself to give this one a shot.

14. JonM

JonM Moderator

weeeeeellllll the wife and i went to go see it tonite but it was sold out. dont ever recall going to that theater for anything and it being sold out. we will try again this thursday.

15. LONGHAIR

LONGHAIR New Member

It did sound like everyone had a mouthful of sh#t when they talked...That was kind of weird though out the hol movie...I guess they where trying to get that old cowboy effect thing?...:confused:

16. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

As soon as I saw the trailer for this movie, I was skeptical. You have to be an absolute fool to remake True Grit, or you think you can make the finest Western movie in 40 years.

I am a huge John Wayne fan. I went to see the movie with great skepticism. I was not disappointed, but very pleased. It is the best Western made in 40 years.

The girl nailed her part. Bridges just did a fantastic job. And Matt Damon added a whole new meaning to the word "smarmy".

Last edited: Dec 28, 2010
  17. lonyaeger

lonyaeger Active Member

Wow! That's quite a statement!

Better than The Unforgiven, 3:10 to Yuma, Silverado?

18. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

I'm shocked you'd even include Silverado. Fun movie? Yes. Great Movie? No way.

I found Unforgiven ok, but do not appreciate it as much as many I've heard.

3:10 to Yuma, haven't seen all of it.

19. LONGHAIR

LONGHAIR New Member

YES...3:to yuma was kick-#ss i thought...

20. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

I saw it Christmas eve and loved it! :cool: