Truck tires

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by dragunovsks, Nov 26, 2012.

1. dragunovsks

dragunovsks New Member

So with winter weather just around in on the market for new tires for my Dodge Dakota 2wd. I stopped by Big O Tires this afternoon and looked around and got a couple quotes. My truck currently has 235/75R15's on it. First quote was $455 for a set of 4 Cooper tires. The second was $527 for a set of 4 Goodyear Wranglers.

I'm leaning more towards the Goodyears because they are 50k mile tires whereas the Coopers are 40k. The goodyears also have a more aggressive tread pattern.

My question is has anyone had or currently have these tires?

2. tri70

tri70 New Member

The Wranglers have been good for mud/snow conditions, sounds like the way to go but if the weather is not that bad you may save a few more bucks with Cooper's. You might ask about the road noise too, bigger aggressive tread will give you more road noise on highway.

3. KG7IL

KG7IL Well-Known Member

I have been happy with the GoodYear Wrangler RTS on my 1992. Suburban. This is my third set of the Wrangler RTS I will keep this suburban forever, and ever.

Have not tried the Coopers.

4. onenut58

onenut58 New Member

I have set of the goodyears on a 3/4 ton 4x4 chevy and have had them up pawing around in the rocks and dirt in the mountins and they grab real good in the snow as well. Cant say much on how they are going to to wear . I only have about 3000 miles on them. I always have liked coopers though and ran them for years.I was down in nevada where no cooper dealer was close so I bought the good years after friends told me they had real good luck with them.

5. vincent

vincent New Member

I've not had good luck with Goodyear at all...Had a set of Cooper Cobras on a Camaro years ago and they were craptastic...

I've had 2 Dakotas and when it came time for new shoes I use the BFG's seen here...http://www.sears.com/bfgoodrich-all-terrain-ta-ko-tire-lt235-75r15-cs-rwl/p-09566542000P

I'm sure you can do better on price, (I get them much cheaper at wholesale clubs like BJ's/Sam's, IIRC they were $90 each) just a visual for you...

Have used BFG's for 20+years and they are always the best value by far. IIRC a set I bought was rated for 80K and by the time I was done, they had 120K on them...bald as an eagle but still usable, like I said, value...

The tread pattern seems like overkill on paved roads but the difference in the ride is negligible at best, it's the foul weather/road conditions that brings out the best in these skins and that difference is HUGE!!!!

They're the only replacement tire I will ever use!! Happy hunting, hope this helped!! :cool:

6. kytowboater

kytowboater Active Member

I've have a set of Dunlop mud terrains on my Toyota. Does great in snow. Have damn near full tread still. Bought in early 2010 and have many many miles on them.

7. MoreAltitude

MoreAltitude New Member

+1 my older ZR2 came with these from the factory, and I've always replaced them with the oem BFG's. on road pretty damn good/ off road excellent for a all-terrain, plus as mentioned they last forever (well past tread life). Go for the BFG's ...

8. willfully armed

willfully armed New Member

Big O Bigfoot XTR.

had them on both 4runners, Ranger and Chevy flatbed.

9. kfox75

kfox75 Well-Known Member Supporter

I would go with the Goodyears. I have a set on both of my trucks (a 1997 Dakota 4X4, and a 1992 Ford F150, 4X2) and have not found the ditch with either one. The set on the Dakota is 3 years old, asnd will probably get replaced in the spring (odometer don't work on that one, no clue on the milage). The set on the F150 is 5 years old (winter set) and is at 65% tread with aproximately 30,000 miles on them.

Where the wranglers really do well is in the snow. 2 years ago, I had to go to the county seat for jury duty. Mayville NY, is at the middle of some serious hills, and on the day I went there the roads were snow covered. My 2WD F150 climbed up the hills with no issues at all. A month after, a friend of mine had to do the same. He had to pit his '02 Dakota into 4 H to make it up the same hill. Both of us used the same route, both of us had winter weight in the back, and driving conditions were the same. The only major differences (aside from make and model) were transmission type and tires. He had a less agressive set of tires and an auto "majic" trans.

Quick tip for a better price, Check the tire and lube express at walmart. Last time I checked, they had the wranglers, in the size you need, for about $100 each out the door. Either way, the 2 options you are considering are decent tires, I just lean more towards the Goodyears. YMMV.

BTW, The Coopers have a slight advantage over the Goodyears. Being 40,000 mile tires, they will have a little more grip. Softer rubber wears faster, but grips better.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2012
  10. rjd3282

rjd3282 New Member

Goodyear has to be one of the worst tires on the market. You might get 50k out of the tread but the rest of the tire will never make it that far. As a retired mechanic I couldn't even tell you how many goodyears I've seen that failed. The belts get all knotted up and they are a noisey tire to boot. They suck in the rain.

11. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

12. kycol

kycol New Member

I had good luck with the goodyears until I started at a new mine with a longer gravel road. It seemed after driving 40 miles on blacktop the tires got good and warm and when I hit the gravel it just eat the tires up. Had lots of tread on the tires,but was constantly having flats. I switched to B F Goodrich rugged terrane and have been well pleased.

13. rurak

rurak New Member

I had an f350 with bf goodrich all terrains on it and they were great! Kinda pricey though but i believe i got around 60k miles out of them.

14. dragunovsks

dragunovsks New Member

I'm not really worried about road noise as its just my work truck, I'm more concerned with traction because its 2wd and let's face it I need all the help I can get in that department.

I know they may be cheaper but I refuse to take my vehicles to Walmart anymore after they decided to refuse to honor my road hazard warranty because I worked construction and they used a pair of channel lock pliers to tighten my oil filler cap on the 97 Dakota I used to have.

My local big o tires has a loyal customer, everytime I go in there they give it to me straight no bs and I couldn't tell you how many times he has patched/plugged my tires and not charged me when I hadn't even bought them from him. That's when I used to run the Walmart tires. The tires that are on it now I bought from them, big o brand sxp's. I'm was happy with them, except I only got two years outta them. Driving in a rock quarry will eat up your tires tho.

The goodyears were 103 each and I think the coopers were 89. I'm leaning more towards the goodyears.

15. dragunovsks

dragunovsks New Member

Been reading customer reviews on tirerack.com and about 80% of the people who bought Goodyear wranglers are saying they are horrible in the rain.

16. vincent

vincent New Member

That was my experience as well...You'd have to go way out of your way to hydroplane on the BFG's I linked...

Gotta figure, if they come on the vehicle out of the factory, they're bottom shelf stuff...like how builders will use the cheapest, crappiest windows they can find to cut costs...(see Ford/Firestone...)

Got my '97 Dakota with 27K on it, ended up getting $500 off because the Goodyears that it came with were about 10 miles from not passing an inspection...original tires, only 27K and worn down to almost nothing...pure crap I tells ya!!! :D I heard they make good blimps though...;)

17. dragunovsks

dragunovsks New Member

I looked into the mastercraft tires that gatoragn linked, I wonder if my local big o could order them. They look like a pretty meaty tire. I prefer a tire with a little meat on it cause while I do drive mostly highway and interstate miles I do also drive in my yard a lot and come this spring launching a boat is something both my trucks will be doing.

18. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i had a set of the Mastercraft tires on my 2001 Dodge Ram and they were excellent tires. keep them aired up properly and rotate them, and they usually go beyond the rated rated mileage. mide did!

19. Cinderocka1989

Cinderocka1989 Well-Known Member

My truck had BF Goodrich all terrains when I got it, they lasted me three years, don't know how long they were on before but I know I've put 50k on that truck in the last the years. I bought new drive tires for it last Saturday, Yokohama all terrains, they were $360 for 2 mounted and balanced, we'll see how they do.

20. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

I have Michelin LTX AT on our pickup. But I think those will run about $350 more than what you are looking at. I put them on last November and they still look brand new.

I suggest you go over to www.tirerack.com and look at the feedback on those tires.