Truck gun in Pa

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by magnumman, Nov 13, 2012.

1. magnumman

magnumman New Member

I was considering keeping my marlin 1894 under my back seat. I was looking unto our laws and it seems that only sub 16 inch barrel rifles can be carried loaded in a vehicle. Does this make the least bit of sense to anybody?

2. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

No sense at all. Shotgun perhaps, but rifle, nope.

3. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

I speculate it is geared to dissuade "road hunters". WI allows loaded handguns, but not long guns. Sounds like PA has a similar intent.

4. magnumman

magnumman New Member

It just seems to me that if I can legally conceal weapons, then I should be allowed to conceal any weapon I can legally own. I think I may write my congressman and make a suggestion that this be changed. But They are too busy burning piles of $100 bills in Harrisburg to worry about something as unimportant as this.

5. Old_Crow

Old_Crow New Member

Lock the rifle in your toolbox. I can unlock my toolbox and get the gun out faster than most people can get a gun from behind the seat.

6. magnumman

magnumman New Member

That is a good point but the fact still remains that it cannot be loaded

7. gunsmoke11

gunsmoke11 New Member

It does appear that they're concerned about hunting while in vehicles. I wouldn't let it bother you too much. We have much greater problems ahead of us. Much greater!

8. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Anything less than a 16" barrel wud have to be classified as a SBR--

You get caught will a SG with a 16" barrel & you'll be useing the prison computer to reply nonsense :rolleyes:

9. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Ditto to what Hossfly said. Having a rifle with a barrel under 16" would have to be registered as a Short barreled rifle in accordance with BATFE requirements. Then you would have to see if PA allows SBRs at all. So, it soes seem that they are trying to prevent loaded rifles and shotguns in cars all together. Allowing only a pistol to be carried loaded in a vehicle.

I know, Michigan had a law about rifles with an overall length of less than 28" or something like that. So a folding stocked AK that is in compliance with federal law would not meet the definition of a rifle in Michigan, and those, then needed to be registered as a pistol in MI. The good news there is, that if you had a folding stock AK, it would have to be registered as a pistol and then could be carried in your car loaded if you had a permit.

Here in WA, they don't allow loaded rifles or shotguns in your vehicle.

10. fupuk

fupuk New Member

+1 on this. Im in Michigan and have been looking at getting an Ak pistol to keep it in my truck for when the family goes on vacation. The folding stock im not 100% sure about. I know that with a stock it would have to be registered as a SBR and those are illegal in Michigan. I will have to look into that this week.

11. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

For clarification I wasn't talking about an AK pistol with a stock. It's a quirk in MI law that if the rifle had a folding stock that makes it under a certain overall length then it has to be registered in MI as a pistol. The rifle would still meet the federal requirements as a non-SBR so it is legal to have in MI but MI makes you register a rifle of that length as a pistol.

MI doesn't allow loaded rifles in cars but, as a weird consequence of their quirky law about overall length registration as a pistol, a CCW holder can have this particular rifle loaded because Michigan is making you call it a pistol.

If you got an AK pistol and wanted to out a stock on it that would fall under federal law and require BATFE registration, tax stamps etc. As you pointed out MI dies not allow BATFE SBRs, so that option is out.

12. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Dam, how ya'll keep up with all the strange laws in states like that :confused:

13. fupuk

fupuk New Member

Im still learning new stuff everyday about Michigan gun laws. They are wierd but im trying to figure them out.