Troy vtac trx rail

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by purehavoc, Mar 29, 2012.

1. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

any difference between the standard and the alpha? I know the Alpla uses the standard barrel nut and the TRX uses Troys barrel nut . any advantage between either or ?

2. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

I have multiple of the original including one VTAC and picked up an Alpha a couple weeks ago. I personally don't like disassembling a factory rifle so the Alpha worked out great. I really don't see any advantages above the barrel nut and then only when adding the rail to an upper w/ a pinned FH.

3. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

Yessssss my preeecious....the alpha is guuuuuuuuud.

4. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

I appreciate and respect your comments , you and AT helped me out alot . looks like its on the way :D

5. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

Awesome. Length/ color?

6. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

15" and black for my 16" barrel
    going for a dissy look

7. FCross7

FCross7 New Member

Troy makes a nice rail. I went with the Samson Evo for my rifle, essentially the same thing, just different looks. The only reason I went with the Samson is because at the time, the Alpha was just coming out and no one had them, and for the life of me I couldn't get my pinned FSB off. So I had no choice.

-Fred

8. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

Im going to take off my FSB and mod it to fit under it . I like the dissy look and I dont add alot of gadgets so I dont need a bunch of rails. I like to keep it simple , had to order a Magpul front to go with the rear sight also .

9. ColdIron44

ColdIron44 New Member

I just added a 13" Alpha rail on my 16" barrel and I've absolutely loved the first 180 rounds I've shot with the new addition. I should have done a weight analysis, but I almost swear the new setup is lighter than the stock handguard, while providing a much sturdier feel. Granted, you shave a good bit of weight by losing the A2 sight, handguard retainer, delta ring, spring, and snap ring. I too take a minimalist approach to rail space utilization but one thing I'm looking to add is a QD swivel mount. The Alpha rail provides so many mounting locations, and there are quite a few mounting options, but I think I've narrowed my search down to either the Noveske or the Troy QD swivel mounts. If you add a sling, I hope you post your mounting method and share your thoughts on the set-up.

10. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

Check out the IWC QD sling mount. It is flush w/ the outside of the rail. It's a super clean look.

I've used a few different styles and brands but the IWC is the one I always go back to.

11. macon17

macon17 New Member

I just got my 11inch alpha rail is great lightweight rail...best ive had

12. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

All I gotta say is if you intend on taking the gas block off you had best buy damn good punches , I have some good ones but not as small as needed , I bought smaller ones at lowes and those are the biggest POS punches I have ever had in my hands , I bent the 1/8" punch back with my bare hands and mushroomed the 1/4" punch first hit , no way in hell are they hardened . I did get the gas block off but wow that biotch is on there good . Got my Magpul Gen 2 front BUIS , Now just waiting on my handguard to show up so I can get this thing back together and ready to rock and roll .

13. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

Anyone have a pic of the TRX extreme 15" rail on a 16" barrel ?

14. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

Didn't the member larue just put one together?

15. BenLuby

BenLuby New Member

16. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

Looks good but thats not the handguard Im looking for VTAC battlerail with the slots instead of the holes

17. FCross7

FCross7 New Member

IMO, if your just gonna cut the FSB down to fit under the hand guard, take the gas tube out, but just leave it on. When you take it off and re-install it, you run the risk of not aligning the gas block with the gas port. It's harder to do when using a pinned gas block, but can happen. Plus it's a huge pain in the ass getting it off, as you found out.

I cut my FSB down, but just left it on the barrel.

-Fred

18. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

I was going to do this but decided against it , I really just dont want to take any chances on scratching the barrel . Its really wasnt that bad once I got a good punch that stayed straight on it . I think the key is use a punch thats to big to get it started . I have a 2X2 block with the center routered out to fit the barrel works great , I would like to know how many pouunds of force they use when pressing those in . I watched a few videos of people punching them out and they popped right out . Not these but either way its done . Now anyone recommend a good bluing to use on the cut down block ?

19. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

BLahhhh , Just got a call from Troy Ind. and that baby is on back order until the 20th . Oh well . They said they would gladly replace it with something else at a discount if I coundnt wait . I told her I would just have to be patient and wait . Guess Im in no hurry to cut the FSB down now.

20. macon17

macon17 New Member

You couldn't find it at like midway usa or anywhere else?