Troy fixed or flip sights

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by BigBizz87, Apr 12, 2013.

1. BigBizz87

BigBizz87 New Member

I'm getting some sights for my new AR pretty set on Troy sights but not sure which way yo go kinda like the fixed need advice because there's a big price difference????

2. Sgt_Skrb_25

Sgt_Skrb_25 New Member

Do you plan on running optics too? If you do I would go with the flip downs. If not, go fixed. Does the fixed Troy rear sight have elevation adjustments like the A2 sights? If you plan on only using irons I would look into a rear sight that can adjust for elevation.

3. BigBizz87

BigBizz87 New Member

Not planning on an optic but could Co witness if necessary I'm not sure gonna look into the elevation adjustment but y would I need it in a rear sight? For distance? Maainly gonna run the rifle at less the 100yds. I'm not to familiar with iron sight adjustments

Last edited: Apr 12, 2013
  4. Sgt_Skrb_25

Sgt_Skrb_25 New Member

Ok ,if you only plan on running to a 100 yards then you will not need elevation adjustments. A2 sights let you go adjust the elevation based on your distance to target. I think they go from200 to
    800 yards. I got out of the Marines 8 years ago ,I can't remember. But I know that A2 sights are the only ones with that adjustment. All if the other style sights give you windage in the rear, and no elevation.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2013
  5. Quentin

Quentin New Member

I like the standard fixed front and flip up rear. Very flexible.

6. BigBizz87

BigBizz87 New Member

Read into it some more wont need elevation adjustments for any shot 200yds or less and I have other rifles for longer distance think I may just run the Troy fixed front and rear heard good things about them

7. Donn

Donn Active Member

Being old school, I'm an advocate of iron sights. I prefer fixed. I'm certain I'll get smoked by those who like flip-up, but it seems a moving part can, over time and use, become loose and unreliable. My AR's are equipped with optics, but should they fail for whatever reason, the zero'd, fixed irons are at the ready.

8. drew661

drew661 New Member

Don't box yourself in and then need to buy twice. I just bought a troy flip up rear because I decided I wanted a 3x magnifier I didn't think I would ever need. I have several sets of sights and the troy rear is every bit as solid as a fixed rear and built like a tank.

9. BigBizz87

BigBizz87 New Member

I bought the Troy fixed front and rear happy with my purchase they r perfect for my rifles use

10. rpmranch

rpmranch New Member

11. BigBizz87

BigBizz87 New Member

I'm not putting any optic on this rifle so no need for flip sights the fixed work better for my purpose with this rifle tritium upgrades will come later for sure. I can always get another EO Tech and Co-witness if necessary im building a CQB rifle almost done with it now will post pics once I have the sights on it

Last edited: Apr 18, 2013