Troy Battlemag

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by FCross7, Nov 2, 2011.

1. FCross7

FCross7 New Member

Has anyone used them yet? They seem to be close to the PMag in terms of durability and reliability, but they have metal reinforced feed lips which should eliminate the problem PMags have with rounds falling out if they are dropped.

If no one has used them yet I may pick up a couple and let everyone know what I think.

-Fred

2. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

Aren't they more expensive than the PMags?

3. FCross7

FCross7 New Member

$.70 more on Midway, and it's actually $.50 cheaper than a PMag on Brownells. I saw a torture test vid where they shot it twice with 12 Ga, 7 1/2 shot from 20 yards, still worked. Ran one over with an excursion, still worked. Shot one with a .308, still worked.

They may not be any better than PMags, but I'll at least give a couple a try.

-Fred

4. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

Please do. Do you have a postal scale or anything similar to weigh them w/?

I like Troy products.

5. FCross7

FCross7 New Member

We've got one at work I can throw it on. It'll be next week before I order them(gotta wait for pay day), but once I get them in I'll weight them empty and loaded, and do a little torture test of my own and let everyone know my findings.

-Fred

6. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

Cool. Do a weight comparison b/w the PMag if you have the chance please.

7. Redarrow18

Redarrow18 New Member

If you have don't have any problems with it I'll buy one or few and see how they are as well

8. FCross7

FCross7 New Member

Will do.

Please do. The more people who do it, the better our info on them will be.

-Fred

9. FCross7

FCross7 New Member

Thanks for the link.

He pointed something out in there that I didn't know. On Troy's website, it says the feed lips are reinforced. I assumed that meant with some sort of metal, but apparently it doesn't. I guess the polymer is just thicker there or something.

I still wanna try a couple out though.

-Fred

10. FCross7

FCross7 New Member

I was browsing through MidwayUSA the other day and came across the Lancer Systems Advanced Warfighter magazine, and really like the looks of them. They weigh the same as the PMags when empty, but have metal feed lips, which I really like.

I'm gonna incorporate them into the tests as well. So as this point it will be PMag, Troy BattleMags, and the Lancers.

I was thinking about it the other night trying to decide what all I want to do. I'm gonna start off by getting weights on all three, but will then go to doing some actual testing. I've heard complaints about rounds coming out when dropped, so that will definitely be one of the tests, but I'm not sure what else to do. I want to do some reliability testing, maybe putting some sand in them or something. Anyone have any good ideas on tests to do with them?

-Fred

11. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

You can do the drop test and reliability testing at the same time. Just drop them in some dust, dirt, sand, or whatever you local has to offer.

Maybe with them in your carrier you can roll around in some mud and other various things. To bad you live in Florida though because it would have been more enjoyable in a colder climate.

Oh yeah I almost forgot that most Afghans don't have plumbing and just crap around their perimeter walls which just happens to be a great place to take cover or find concealment. So in order to make this test valid over a broader consumer base you're going to have to roll around in some poop. ;)lol

But seriously I'm looking forward to the results. I may have to do something similar w/ another piece of equipment.

12. Quentin

Quentin New Member

I'm curious about the Troys too. Also the 60rd Surefires though I doubt I'd go with that many rounds unless I really was in a world of hurt.

13. FCross7

FCross7 New Member

Indeed. I'm not really sure I want that much weight on my gun either.

The 100 rounders are just insane in my book. I see absolutely no need for them unless you've got a full auto weapon and know you're gonna be in some serious firefights.

-Fred

14. Redarrow18

Redarrow18 New Member

Well besides some pretty extreme and not really necessary tests i've seen, like shooting them with a 12 gauge slug or runing them over with a truck, you pretty much just have to use them and see how they fair up over time. You can always drop them on purpose or what ever, rub them in the dirt and sand and what not and see how they opperate afterwards